Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AIWB mag changes???

I don't have time to hunt down the pictures right now but outside of the tactical world there have been plenty of super high level individual performers with a more mid-height reload like mine (not that I'm as good as they are.)
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Lastly, like some of the elements of my draw, this particular reload is just kind of 'what my brain and body came up with' as I sought to let the timer drive my performance harder and harder. I'm not there consistently now, but when I've stayed on top of practicing them, I've hit 1.0x slidelock reloads from concealment before, and 1.2x - 1.3x reloads with a lot of regularity.

Again, I'm not certain that a higher reload wouldn't/couldn't be better, but those are the reasons I reload lower.

Very good info, thanks for taking the time to explain. Can't argue much with the timer and consistency.

I will be pushing practice pretty hard soon with my carry gear again (got a class with somebody coming up ) - I will be interested to see how my reloads come about and what changes may or may not occur reloading from appendix.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

I keep the gun pretty high - like I would on a more traditional pouch placement reload - my biggest issue is still clearing the cover garment reliably and quickly from AIWB. I hate reloading from the side without a bullets-out pouch...

http://instagram.com/p/BgnQTqLnctl/

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    A video of Gabe White reloading from AIWB

Slow Mo

I tried to mimic Gabes technique when figuring out how to do AIWB reloads. It helped me alot. Basically it helps me to grab the cover garment and pull it up, then go straight to the mag. I dont try to pin the garment with my thumb or anything like that. If i just go from the lifted garment straight to the mag with my hand still in contact with or close to my body then it helps keep it out of the way. If i try to float my hand out and to the mag i sometimes foul.

Im no Gabe White, but here is a few failed 1 second par reloads. 3 with a 1911, 3 with a Glock 17. Notice I go from pulling the garmwnt up straight to the magazine index, and that makes me naturally keep my garment clear if I dont float my hand away from the body.

Hope this makes sense or helps.

-Cory

EDIT: Im on my phone. Apologies for spelling errors or grammar or whatever I may have missed

So fast that I couldn't even see the empty mag when it dropped from the pistol..............

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    So fast that I couldn't even see the empty mag when it dropped from the pistol..............

Keith
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't believe @Mr_White is dropping a magazine in the video. That doesnt change the speed of the reload. Gabe is usually regarded as one of the most accomplished shooters from concealment, so I figured his technique was worth a look.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't believe @Mr_White is dropping a magazine in the video. That doesnt change the speed of the reload. Gabe is usually regarded as one of the most accomplished shooters from concealment, so I figured his technique was worth a look.

-Cory
    Nice work by both parties. I forgot to add the smiley and sarcasm emoji thingies at the end of my post.

Keith

Gabe or others, have you seen an advantage reloading from concealment with an extended magazine (Magpul 21rd) or magazine extension? A little bit more to hold onto or a little bit easier to seat the magazine fully?

Besides Burkett reload drills, and "part-to-whole" (partial) drills, are there other drills you have found useful? For the majority of my slide lock reload dry practice I leave the slide slightly out of battery with a piece of rubberband, drop mag, perform reload, and press "dead" slide release.

When dry practicing slide note reloads how hard is it on a Glock to drop the slide on an empty chamber? I would guess a few times is fine...but if practicing 20-40 reloads a night like this might cause some accelerated wear. What Glock part is this hardest on or what part should I have spares handy in case of breakage?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    Nice work by both parties. I forgot to add the smiley and sarcasm emoji thingies at the end of my post.

Keith
    Keith - it's all good - thought you might have meant that, and even if it were serious criticism, no issue there either.

Quote Originally Posted by strow View Post
    Gabe or others, have you seen an advantage reloading from concealment with an extended magazine (Magpul 21rd) or magazine extension? A little bit more to hold onto or a little bit easier to seat the magazine fully?

Besides Burkett reload drills, and "part-to-whole" (partial) drills, are there other drills you have found useful? For the majority of my slide lock reload dry practice I leave the slide slightly out of battery with a piece of rubberband, drop mag, perform reload, and press "dead" slide release.

When dry practicing slide note reloads how hard is it on a Glock to drop the slide on an empty chamber? I would guess a few times is fine...but if practicing 20-40 reloads a night like this might cause some accelerated wear. What Glock part is this hardest on or what part should I have spares handy in case of breakage?
    strow,

I find longer magazines to be harder to reload with, not easier. Standard length G17 mags are the easiest for me. I don't work with magazines shorter than that but I'm sure they'd be challenging in their own way.

I practice reloads several ways. They are all trade offs between efficiency (lots of reps in a short time) and realism/completeness. This is assuming you consider a slidelock reload to be the most complete representation of the overall process.

Burkett/subpart reloads are the most efficient and the least complete.

Reloads where you don't drop the mag, do put a new mag in, and just do it with the slide forward the whole time are next in the spectrum.

You can do the same thing but with dropping an empty magazine.

In that video, and to any seriousness in Keith's comment about it, I did an admittedly odd version where I didn't drop an empty mag, but did close the slide. That's yet another way to do it and I don't remember why I selected that variation on that occasion.

I also take the time to practice the complete slidelock reload where I both eject an empty magazine and close the slide.

Just remember, what you practice is what you're going to get better at. All those methods are worthwhile. The most complete slidelock reload is the one that works ALL the subparts, and is by far least efficient.

I use dummy rounds when practicing the complete slidelock reload. I don't know the answer to your question about parts wear. I've never noticed an issue. I usually replace the slide stop lever about once a year to preempt spring breakage.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List