Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you whisk(e)y?

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Very nice.

Is that a real question?

If so - 1 bottle at a time that I’ve been interested in. On the rocks - usually 2-3 cubes and prob 2 ounces per drink, enough to well over the ice.

I am getting older and am beginning to just enjoy a few drinks SOME evenings just to knock the edge off or let the cares of the day slip away - but more and more am getting distanced from getting any real kind of intoxicated.

How about you other experienced whiskey drinkers?
    Casual few or late nights polishing bottles off?
    2-3 cubes, pour just over the ice. Usually a glass a month or every couple months. Johnny Walker Black. Not because it's the best or tastiest, but that's what my long departed brother that taught me my trade drank and was the first whiskey I'd tasted.

Have friends & associates who are Scotch connoisseurs and aficionados and I think I could develop more exclusive tastes -very well may after I retire from my post-retirement job.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Single malt that's old enough to drive with about 4-6 drops of icewater.
    I also like a glass of water on the side.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Rye, Wheat, Single Malt (highland or spey in the warm months, islay for cold), Irish Whiskey, or a quality blend as my mood dictates. All straight up, no ice, no water. Sometimes I'll have a Manhattan if I want something different.

No bourbon or anything with a significant amount of corn.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I like my bourbon and rye either neat or over a single large ice cube. Occasionally full on the rocks.

On the rare occasions I drink scotch, blended scotch on the rocks or if single malt then with just a splash of water to open up the flavor a little.

Jack Daniels straight up.

The only way I'll drink Crown is mixed with something.

By the quart.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    The main bar here at Rancho Serious:

Attachment 30590

Yeah, the boxes on the floor are full as well.

And in the words of a friend, the stage after Intervention is called Celebration.
    Holy shit. You are so much cooler than I am. Seriously, that's awesome.

Good whisky is to be enjoyed mainly from a small snifter style glass, neat and room temperature. The tulip shape of the glass enhances the drink's nose; thus, the overall experience is heightened.

YMMV

ETA: Lagavulin 16 is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the most serenely intense savory experience that even a scotch n00b can (quickly learn to) completely enjoy.
    Last edited by ubervic; 09-22-2018 at 07:41 PM.

I started with bourbon, but have moved almost entirely to scotch. I prefer single malts from the Highlands (as my username demands) or Islay. Lagavulin 16, Shieldaig Islay 14, Glenmorangie Nector D'Or, Dalwhinnie, and Oban are among my staples, but I really enjoy trying different things. I could care less about the alcohol and don't want to get drunk; like @TAZ, it's all about the taste and the ritual.

I prefer my scotch in a Glencairn glass with just a drop of water to open it up, and, if at all possible, sipped while looking out the door of The Ensign Ewart (https://www.ensignewartpub.co.uk/) on a long, cool Edinburgh summer evening.

User Tag List