Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Had a chat with our western region Ruger sales rep today, re: revolver ideas

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    While I tend to agree, I’m not that convinced of the utility of the .327 Mag for much of anything bigger than a raccoon in terms of practical use. The fact that the damn thing uses a .312” diameter bullet instead of the .311 common to .32s limits bullet choices or accuracy.

There is more than enough space to have a .327 Mag single six converted to .38 currently, too. Loaded with +P or 38/44 level loads it would be a handful but hit hard. Given that the .327 maxs at about 45,000 PSI and .38 +P is around 20k, it should handle those loads for about...ever. I’m afraid if they converted the Single Seven to a Sinngle Six in .38 they’d stop selling Single Sevens.
    I grant you the raccoon, but I have no trouble finding listings for .312" jacketed and plated bullets, .312" and .313" cast.

The Clements Single 9 would be my idea, if I were going big on a fancy SA.
    Or maybe a Bowen Lightweight .45 ACP.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    While I tend to agree, I’m not that convinced of the utility of the .327 Mag for much of anything bigger than a raccoon in terms of practical use. The fact that the damn thing uses a .312” diameter bullet instead of the .311 common to .32s limits bullet choices or accuracy.
    Interesting. I've been getting fine accuracy from Hornady's .312" XTP's in several .327 Fed Mags and 32 H&R's Magnums; Cast Performance also makes excellent bullets for the .327 in both .312" and .313." What bullets are not available for the .327, and how does that reduce the cartridges potential for accuracy?

As for the performance of the .327 on game considerably larger than a raccoon, I found this thread instructive with regard to what a properly loaded .327 can do in the field:

http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...lver-pronghorn
    Last edited by oregon45; 09-23-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Replace LCR with LCRx and I’m all in with everything above.
    Yes, I also would want the LCRx as an option. Choice is good

Not to go all off the rails, but, if you haven't held the svelte Henry lever-action steel carbine chambered in .327 Fed, you should do so. I'm trying to envision what the 100-grainers would do going over 2100fps out of the 16.5" tube.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Wish Speer would run a few hundred thousand of the 115gr .312 pistol bullet they once made.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Interesting. I've been getting fine accuracy from Hornady's .312" XTP's in several .327 Fed Mags and 32 H&R's Magnums; Cast Performance also makes excellent bullets for the .327 in both .312" and .313." What bullets are not available for the .327, and how does that reduce the cartridges potential for accuracy?

As for the performance of the .327 on game considerably larger than a raccoon, I found this thread instructive with regard to what a properly loaded .327 can do in the field:

http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...lver-pronghorn
    I mean sure there was a .327 magnum in play there. But a 73-yard shot that cut through both lungs? That's just damn good shootin'. I'd reckon he could have made the same kill with a .22LR if he made the same shot. But I take your point, no reason to consider the .327 to be just a raccoon gun. The real advantage of the .327 the above scenario, over a .38 or even a .357, is the flat trajectory of the cartridge.

A couple of bullets not available in .312" - none of the Lehigh designs (their .32 ACP bullet is .311") and none of the Barnes bullets. In the case of accuracy, the potential is reduced, if you want to use the .311" monolithic Lehigh rounds. But there are plenty of other bullets out there, those are just a couple that come to mind, that are readily available in .357"+ diameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Not to go all off the rails, but, if you haven't held the svelte Henry lever-action steel carbine chambered in .327 Fed, you should do so. I'm trying to envision what the 100-grainers would do going over 2100fps out of the 16.5" tube.
    It's actually lighter and smaller than the .357 guns? I got the impression it was the same frame, same barrel diameter, but just bored out to .32 instead of .357?

That'd be a neat little rifle. Not sure what the hell I would do with it, after Ruger builds me a new 96/357 (since you convinced them to do that) or I get that Miroku-built Winchester 1873 I intend to put on layaway this winter. Or after I find a Marlin 1894 in .32-20.

But whatever, I'll take one and a Single Seven, and one of those Bowen Single Six .32-20 conversions.

I have no self-control.

@RevolverRob, it’s the same as the .357 guns. But the "steel" guns are lighter than the classics. My SASS ‘classic’ .357 goes well over 8lbs; the steel carbine with 16.5" is under 6 and a half, IIRC.

16.5’, 6.4-ish lbs, well over 2100FPS jacketed soft points. That’s all I’m saying.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    HM2 cylinder for the HMR Single Six. I just realized today, as one of the cheeky little bastards was shaking its balls in my general direction, that I don't have quite enough ways to kill them yet.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    HM2 cylinder for the HMR Single Six. I just realized today, as one of the cheeky little bastards was shaking its balls in my general direction, that I don't have quite enough ways to kill them yet.
    I think they did that at one point.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List