Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Rum

El Pasador de Oro Rum XO, from Guatemala of all places. https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/ru...xo/p/169725750 I was poking around the rum aisle of my local Total Wine and an employee suggested it. Apparently the staff had just gotten a bottle to sample, and to a person they all went crazy over it. Any time I buy a bottle, the employee at the checkout raves about the stuff. It's smooth enough to sip, affordable enough to mix, and very, very sweet. Maybe it's because I don't drink a lot of rum, but this is my go-to, and there's no need for me to look elsewhere.

I do enjoy sipping rum neat, as well as a rum and Coke, but as ridiculous as it sounds, one of my favorite summer drinks is rum and root beer: a 16 oz glass with ice, about a double shot of rum, (just enough so that a 12 oz can of A&W fills the glass to the rim) really hits the spot, especially when you're in the pool on an day where it's above 110.

Just skip anything from Bacardi, Appleton, or Captain Morgan.

Ron Zacapa 23 is my default sipper and also use it for rum old fashioned. Zacapa XO is more expensive but a nice treat.

Zaya is one of my favorites in Coke, as is Barbancourt 8 and Brugal (from most espensive to least). I’ve stopped using Coke though and now use real-sugar Pepsi.
    Last edited by rob_s; 09-23-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    El Pasador de Oro Rum XO, from Guatemala of all places. https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/ru...xo/p/169725750 I was poking around the rum aisle of my local Total Wine and an employee suggested it. Apparently the staff had just gotten a bottle to sample, and to a person they all went crazy over it. Any time I buy a bottle, the employee at the checkout raves about the stuff. It's smooth enough to sip, affordable enough to mix, and very, very sweet. Maybe it's because I don't drink a lot of rum, but this is my go-to, and there's no need for me to look elsewhere.
    Damn, cant get that in VA in the ABC store.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I haven't dabbled much in rum, but if I'm going to be down here in south FL (I swear, when I ask for "bourbon, neat" down here I get the side eye from bartenders) I might as well try some different "brown water" and have looked at venturing into tequila and rum. At a get together recently, the host had some Flor de Caña 18 and 25 year out for those of us who prefer to drink our spirits without mixers. I'm probably going to at least get some of the 18 year to have for sipping when I'm wanting something a little different than bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Just skip anything from Bacardi, Appleton, or Captain Morgan.

Ron Zacapa 23 is my default sipper and also use it for rum old fashioned. Zacapa XO is more expensive but a nice treat.

Zaya is one of my favorites in Coke, as is Barbancourt 8 and Brugal (from most espensive to least). I’ve stopped using Coke though and now use real-sugar Pepsi.
    Funny, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this. In a previous discussion on rum the phrase, "No bats. No pirates" stuck in my memory. As far as the rum old fashioned, color me intrigued. Same makeup as a bourbon/rye old fashioned (booze, simple syrup/sugar, bitters)?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Flor is a good one. The 18 is, to me, a good compromise that can be shipped or mixed.

Yes, rum old fashioned is pretty much identical to the traditional. I’ll sometimes do a lime instead of the traditional cherry.

My favorite sipping rum is definitely the Zacapa 23, but I also enjoy the cheaper stuff (I actually like the bat).

The Oakheart is really good. The Anejo isn't the best, but it was on clearance for $10 a bottle...really hard to say no to that. I also really like Sailor Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    I'm a fan of the "girly" rum drinks. Actually drinking coconut rum and Sprite. A shot or shot'n'half of rum to 12oz Sprite over ice.

I've found a good local rum, Privateer Rum out of Ipswitchn MA.
    Happened to have a 2-liter of Sprite hanging out for vodka mixers this weekend, so I did this. Super simple but tasted great - might actually be what I had at that party, actually.

Might need to up the rum content for myself a little more next time though.

When the wife and I were in the DR earlier in the year, we went to the Oliver & Oliver Rum Tasting Room - https://oliveryoliver.com/

Best rums I've ever had, we brought back a sacrilegious bottle of 'caramel rum' (http://oliveryoliver.com/producto/rhumba-caramel/). But this stuff is fucking delicious, straight or mixed with soda. It's awesome.

We also sipped a number of their aged rums - the Exquisto '85 (the year of our births) - https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/oli...xquisito-1985/ was delicious.

Site Supporter
    Between the El Pasador de Oro Rum XO and the Ron Zacapa 23 Centenario Rum, which is less "sweet"?

If I asked which was "better for sippin with just a little ice", would there be a clear winner or is it pretty much personal preference? (In that case, less sweet would win.)

I'm planning to pick up both and give one as a gift. Just trying to figure out which one to hold on to for me ...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List