Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Rum

Well I blew my booze budget when I went to costco and they had 1.75 liter buffalo trace for 37 bucks... ill keep collecting a list for when i can buy booze again in two years... i bought 12 bottles...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Well I blew my booze budget when I went to costco and they had 1.75 liter buffalo trace for 37 bucks... ill keep collecting a list for when i can buy booze again in two years... i bought 12 bottles...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    If that Costco is anywhere near Fort Worth, please let me know!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If that Costco is anywhere near Fort Worth, please let me know!
    It's roughly 1,360 miles away

I still have no idea if I can ship booze if its a "gift" to someone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    It's roughly 1,360 miles away

I still have no idea if I can ship booze if its a "gift" to someone.
    Bummer... And congrats!

Around here if you can find it, they would NEVER sell you 12 bottles. Usually one per trip.

I think shipping isn't worth the worry, but thanks for the consideration..

Enjoy!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Bummer... And congrats!

Around here if you can find it, they would NEVER sell you 12 bottles. Usually one per trip.

I think shipping isn't worth the worry, but thanks for the consideration..

Enjoy!
    When I first saw the BT I put two bottles in my cart, then went back for a case, then went back for a second case... Considering its at least 27 bucks for a .75 if you can find it I thought this was a no brainer and I did the math to see how much I saved by buying a lot, I told my wife I used some female logic to justify this purchase and I got a mega eye roll and a pop on the shoulder...

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't know that I've had the first one, but i don't find the Zacapa to be terribly sweet vs other rums, just far smoother.
    Odd, since the way it achieves "smooth" is a butt ton of added sugar, much like many of the other overpriced "premium" rums.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I know less about rum than any other spirit I drink, but Gosling's does it for me with an ice cube.
    Also the dark rum I put in this--

Baldander's Zombie:
    1 shot white rum
    1 shot amber rum
    1 shot dark rum
    1 shot apricot flavored brandy product
    1 shot pineapple juice
    Slightly less than 1/2 shot homemade grenadine (make simple sirup with pomegranate juice in place of the water, a few dashes orange extract in a 2 cup batch)--don't go too heavy on this! It's easy to make it too sweet.
    Juice of one freshly squeezed lime
    1/2 shot 151-proof rum

Shake everything but the 151 together with ice. Strain into glass with plenty of fresh ice. Float the 151 on top. Savor the impaired descision making.

This would be better if I didn't use shitty Cruzan for everything but the dark rum, but it's damn fine as-is. Pain in the ass to assemble, though.

Any suggestions for cheap mixing rums?
    Wow, my new receipe (in Blues' drinking thread) is mostly the same, but far better rum. I have some strong opinions after much "testing" of rum.

Best cheap mixer: Naked Turtle hands down. $11-12 a bottle, and I would still buy it at $25. Very soft and smooth, smells of almond and coconut and something floral, great for people who think they hate white rum because of the toxic mess that is Bacardi Superior. I can drink it straight and enjoy it just fine. Makes crowd-pleasing daiquirs.

Best "white," overall: ok, not strictly a white rum, but Wray and Nephew overproof is amazing, if a little strong. This is how I discovered I love Jamaican "funk." If you dig super sweet "premiums," you will probably hate this. Full of flavors much like a really "barnyard" type Saison beer. Wild yeast yields wild flavor and aroma. Superlative with lime and tonic. Great in a Pina Colada if you want the rum flavor to dominate. Makes good daiquris too.

I like all the Plantation products I have tried. They are hated by a lot of rum snobs for the added sugar in most, but they are nicely balanced as straight sippers for my palate. Good in a drink as well. The "special dry" certainly shows it's bourbon/cognac barrel aging. The pineapple is some amazingly classy stuff for a flavored rum, and suprisingly dry.

J.Wray Gold is just a necessity for cocktails, nice on it's own -- at least a 300% improvement on the Cruzan Gold I used to use.

I still like Gosling's, but I have a feeling I might go back to Myers on my next bottle of dark rum. It will be interesting to see how it hits my more experienced rum palate now.

Overall, I seem to prefer Jamaican rums, and the lack of added sugar and flavorings seems to keep them more interesting compared to the other rums in the entry-level category.

I finally tried a decent spiced rum (Costco's Kirkland brand) at my parent's place--ok, but still not really my cup of tea.

Hall of shame-- Bacardi white(just nasty), all the standard Cruzan products (white, gold, and 151--yes, you can make a decent drink out of them, but why not use something that tastes decent on its own?) and Kraken---"Krunken" is for people who don't actually like rum. About the best thing I can say about it is that it's not Captain Morgan's, which I am sure I drank sometime in my youth, but the syrupy vanilla odor puts it in the undrinkable category for me now.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 07-16-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I've been trying some Rum's recently, trying to expand my horizons....

Plantation Overproof is just brutal. 70% alcohol is tough enough, but, the first few sips the first impression on the pallet was "sweet diesel fuel with caramel". I let it sit for a few days, same. Added ice, same flavors, just less. If someone knows a better way to drink this one, please let me know.

Barcelo Rum Imperial (someone here recommended it, maybe in the Bourbon thread). Really nice. What you would expect from a premium rum. Balanced sweetness. Liked.

Picked up an El Dorado 12 YO Guyana from TW today. Will report back.

Found an interesting guy that does a lot of rum tastings... Chose the El Dorado from his list.
    https://therumhowlerblog.com/rum-reviews/

The El Dorado 12 is a personal favorite of mine. Pairs will with just about any cigar.

When @Chuck Haggard was at my house for the Revolver Roundup last month, he turned me on to the Old New Orleans brand of rum. It's stupid cheap - a whopping $19 a bottle for the amber.

I have been using it in a Painkiller (Thanks @Cecil Burch) and is blends very well. It's also pretty good straight.

When I was in the U.K. years ago I came across a black rum called "Black Heart". It was pretty good. I ask for it whenever I go to the U.K.

When I was in Seattle in 2013 I was waiting for the Bremerton ferry. It was a very foggy November day and the ferries were way behind schedule. There was a little bar in the Seattle Ferry terminal called "Commuter Comfort". I stopped in for a cocktail while I waited. As I stood in line to get my drink I spied a black rum on the shelf. When it was my turn I asked the bartender if the black rum was spiced or not. She said it wasn't spiced, which was awesome since I don't like spiced rum. I asked to see the bottle and ordered a rum and coke with it. I immediately fell in love with it's delicious subtle caramel and vanilla taste. Goslings Black Seal Run!!! That shit's good!

User Tag List