Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: P-51 Mustang (thread drift from the ACRO P-1 thread)

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    When you think that there was, at most, a ten-year span between biplane fighters entering service and jet fighters entering service, it had to have been one hell of a time to be involved with engineering and flying fighter aircraft.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    When you think that there was, at most, a ten-year span between biplane fighters entering service and jet fighters entering service, it had to have been one hell of a time to be involved with engineering and flying fighter aircraft.
    I think what you mean to say is absolutely right, though I'm not sure you meant to link the entrance of biplane fighters to the entrance of jet fighters over ten years.

And the difference between the Korean War-era jets over the ME-262 was also pretty huge, especially when the swept-wing MiGs and Sabres took to the skies.

Here’s a rare one. North American A-36 from the Collings Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I think what you mean to say is absolutely right, though I'm not sure you meant to link the entrance of biplane fighters to the entrance of jet fighters over ten years.

And the difference between the Korean War-era jets over the ME-262 was also pretty huge, especially when the swept-wing MiGs and Sabres took to the skies.
    I should have said “the last biplane fighters” and “the first jet fighters”.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

When the last biplane fighters were being delivered for service in 1936 and 37 - the Polikarpov I-15, the Heinkel 51, and the Gloster Gladiator - all of those same companies had jets on the drawing board.
    The Gloster Meteor jet entered service while the Gladiator was still in combat use!
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    When the last biplane fighters were being delivered for service in 1936 and 37 - the Polikarpov I-15, the Heinkel 51, and the Gloster Gladiator - all of those same companies had jets on the drawing board.
    The Gloster Meteor jet entered service while the Gladiator was still in combat use!
    Grumman F2F was the last USN biplane fighter. I don’t think it made four years of active service.

On the other hand, neither did some of the early jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Grumman F2F was the last USN biplane fighter. I don’t think it made four years of active service.

On the other hand, neither did some of the early jets.
    The P-80 started service in about 44/45... and the F-104 started flight test in 55- that's a whole lot of tech jumping in 10 years.
    And the A-12/SR-71 starting testing 7 years after that.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Ok for all the wing-nuts in this thread, P-51 has always been my favorite since I was a kid but I'll submit that maybe the P-47 and F6F were the most effective. And I don't want to neglect the P-38 which may have done even more damage in the Pacific.

Anyone know the relationship between the Corsair, P-47 and F6F?
    German ground troops lived in fear of the P-47.

Of course, it didn’t hurt that the allies had unchallenged air superiority in Western Europe.

The Japanese dubbed the F4U “The Whistling Death” due to the high-pitched sound made by the air intakes at high speeds.

Speaking of relationships, what did the Corsair and FG-1 have in common?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Speaking of relationships, what did the Corsair and FG-1 have in common?
    I thought the FG-1 was a Corsair, just with a different designation for planes made by Goodyear.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I thought the FG-1 was a Corsair, just with a different designation for planes made by Goodyear.
    That's how I understood it, same as the TBF and TBM Avenger-series torpedo bombers and F4F and FM2 Wildcat-series fighters as produced by GM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List