Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: P-51 Mustang (thread drift from the ACRO P-1 thread)

P-51 Mustang (thread drift from the ACRO P-1 thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    It's going to be a step up in terms of durability, dependability, optical quality and ease of use. Here's how I've been describing it:

The year is 1947 and you've been tasked to equip a new air force. You can pick from a vast array of propeller designs that have just won WWII decisively...or you can wait a few weeks and buy jets.
    OMG, buy a hundred Mustangs! Keep em in a hangar and sell ‘em 50 years later and make a killing!

Sorry, back on topic now.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    OMG, buy a hundred Mustangs! Keep em in a hangar and sell ‘em 50 years later and make a killing!

Sorry, back on topic now.

I would cut one off to have a Mustang (the airplane, not the meh car). Sexiest, deadliest and most beautiful warbird ever.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Thread drift = https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthew.../#6bf054986fb5

Tom Cruise personal P51 Mustang
    Last edited by ranger; 09-19-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I would cut one off to have a Mustang (the airplane, not the meh car). Sexiest, deadliest and most beautiful warbird ever.
    P-51’s are exemplary but I’d take an F4U-4 over one any day.

Any chance you are allowed to share more photos of your ACRO?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Clearly a skilled investigative technique here!
    Well I didn’t really suck up too much since I showed my preference for a faster fighter. I’m also a bit biased since my grandfather flew them with the Marines in WWII. But I can admit the sound of a P-51 is pure sex. When I was stationed at Langley AFB many years ago there was a 3 Star reservist whose full time job was airline pilot. He had his own Mustang and hangared it on base. If we heard it overhead we would all run to the roof to try and catch a glimpse.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    P-51’s are exemplary but I’d take an F4U-4 over one any day.

Any chance you are allowed to share more photos of your ACRO?
    I don't have any pics that I can share, but they're all over the Internet. I love that Corsair, too! The Marines did the Lord's work with them in the Pacific and in Korea, too. Saw one at the National Air and Space Museum last week at Dulles while at Aimpoint HQ for meetings.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Well I didn’t really suck up too much since I showed my preference for a faster fighter. I’m also a bit biased since my grandfather flew them with the Marines in WWII. But I can admit the sound of a P-51 is pure sex. When I was stationed at Langley AFB many years ago there was a 3 Star reservist whose full time job was airline pilot. He had his own Mustang and hangared it on base. If we heard it overhead we would all run to the roof to try and catch a glimpse.
    I recommend Virginia Aviation Museum. South of Virginia Beach and Oceana NAS. Every plane in the 4 or more hangars is in fully fly able condition. Lots to drool over. I’ve seen the Mustang fly out of there, truly an amazing experience.

Name:  92F7EE51-F0A1-4CE8-8A9D-1D6C612FB4E8.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  92603915-08C3-4C99-896E-81FF1E98CE33.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  3479E9BC-9ADD-4E56-BD84-96C267BE0B2D.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  68.3 KB
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Ok for all the wing-nuts in this thread, P-51 has always been my favorite since I was a kid but I'll submit that maybe the P-47 and F6F were the most effective. And I don't want to neglect the P-38 which may have done even more damage in the Pacific.

Anyone know the relationship between the Corsair, P-47 and F6F?

Deleted. No longer applies
    Last edited by cornstalker; 09-21-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Ok for all the wing-nuts in this thread, P-51 has always been my favorite since I was a kid but I'll submit that maybe the P-47 and F6F were the most effective. And I don't want to neglect the P-38 which may have done even more damage in the Pacific.

Anyone know the relationship between the Corsair, P-47 and F6F?
    I think I’ve got it! They all used the same huge Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp Radial engine. Also all could mount air to ground rockets, and had a reputation for being very durable aircraft that could withstand damage.

User Tag List