Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only Glock shooter that HATES a rolling break?

Am I the only Glock shooter that HATES a rolling break?

Here's my dilemma. I have two Gen 5 17's that I ordered two TTI Grandmaster kits for. I installed them in each gun but the connectors looked a bit different. One had almost a matte coating with no symbol and one had a mirror finish with a long "minus" symbol on it. The matte finish blank connectors has an outstanding pull, it moves the break back in the pull and has a short reset, but is has a very slight but definite wall just before the break so I know where it's going to break every time. The polished "minus" TTI connector has a smooth rolling break where I can't tell as easily when it goes off when prepping and pressing on longer targets. I shoot MUCH better when I have a very slight wall just before the break because I can tell when the gun is going off. So I contact TTI (excellent customer service by the way) and they tell me that the connector I love is an old design and they don't have anymore. The polished connector with the dreaded rolling break is the new design!

So I have two questions.

1) After scouring the internet for a connector with similar characteristics and reading a lot of reviews, am I the only one that DOESN'T like a rolling break?

2) Anyone else have any ideas on a connector that moves the break back in the pull, has a short reset and a defined point, even if it's very light, where you can tell it's going to break?

I'm not sure I prefer a rolling break either. Then again, I'm not sure if the Gen 5 G19 I briefly owned or the 19X I shot a couple hundred rounds through are really rolling breaks or just "more" rolling. I didn't find them that different than any given Glock, since each Gen 3 or 4 is sorta unique in trigger feel within the broad range of Glock triggers. I'd say they were smoother with less little micro hitches but rolling? IDK. My senses are crude that way.

I tend to like the "wall" for slow fire and don't really notice it or have an issue with it in rapid strings.
    Last edited by JHC; 09-21-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm not sure I prefer a rolling break either. Then again, I'm not sure if the Gen 5 G19 I briefly owned or the 19X I shot a couple hundred rounds through are really rolling breaks or just "more" rolling. I didn't find them that different than any given Glock, since each Gen 3 or 4 is sorta unique in trigger feel within the broad range of Glock triggers. I'd say they were smoother with less little micro hitches but rolling? IDK. My senses are crude that way.

I tend to like the "wall" for slow fire and don't really notice it or have an issue with it in rapid strings.
    I actually like the stock "." connector quite a bit but the break and reset is a bit forward for my liking and slows me down on close range targets in a USPSA match. In looking at aftermarket connectors, most shorten reset, but they also tend to lean towards a rolling break as opposed to having a wall before the break.

I HATE the "-" connector. I feel like there is a wall, but then after pulling through the wall, the trigger feels like it slides a little bit before it breaks and I can't tell where in the pull the shot is going to be fired. This is fine for everything from 7-10 yards and in because I've taught myself to slap accurately at that range, but anything further or with no shoots I'll prep and press. This is where not knowing where it's going to break really effects my accuracy. I just need something, even if it's VERY light, that tells me it's about to break for my prep and press.

This is all nerdy USPSA trigger talk by the way. I have all of my defense Glocks completely stock.

Am I the only Glock shooter that HATES a rolling break?

I greatly prefer the Gen 5 “rolling” break to the Gen 4/3 trigger. I can consistently run sub 5 FAST drills with my all stock Gen 5 G19, and clean DOT torture out to 7yds with the “rolling” trigger.
    Here’s dot torture from 5yds, I shot it yesterday.

I came back to Glocks after running DA/SA guns for about a year and a half, so maybe that’s why I prefer the Gen 5. My advice would be, if you plan on sticking with Gen 5’s, run the stock trigger for a month and you’ll get used to it.

Edited to add-just read where you talked about USPSA. I found the OEM minus connector and a 5lb striker spring to be excellent in my Gen 5 34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TCFD273; 09-21-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bere09 View Post
    I actually like the stock "." connector quite a bit but the break and reset is a bit forward for my liking and slows me down on close range targets in a USPSA match. In looking at aftermarket connectors, most shorten reset, but they also tend to lean towards a rolling break as opposed to having a wall before the break.

I HATE the "-" connector. I feel like there is a wall, but then after pulling through the wall, the trigger feels like it slides a little bit before it breaks and I can't tell where in the pull the shot is going to be fired. This is fine for everything from 7-10 yards and in because I've taught myself to slap accurately at that range, but anything further or with no shoots I'll prep and press. This is where not knowing where it's going to break really effects my accuracy. I just need something, even if it's VERY light, that tells me it's about to break for my prep and press.

This is all nerdy USPSA trigger talk by the way. I have all of my defense Glocks completely stock.
    Ah there you go. The "dot" connector. When it came on the scene I heard all about it's rolling break. Many "dots" and many many rounds and I can't quite discern a "rolling". And I can't detect that motion after the shot you describe with a minus. I don't perceive that or over travel in anything else after the loud noise.

Makes me fairly easy to please I guess.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I think a lot of the Glock trigger differences we feel in dry fire do not translate into meaningful differences in results when live firing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I agree with GJM, but given the choice I’ll take a trigger with some smooth takeup and a crisp break, like my CZs have.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think a lot of the Glock trigger differences we feel in dry fire do not translate into meaningful differences in results when live firing.
    I agree except for 25-50yd bill drills or shooting B8’s. I find the rolling break easier to manage over previous generations wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree with GJM, but given the choice I’ll take a trigger with some smooth takeup and a crisp break, like my CZs have.
    That just goes to show everybody likes something different. Lol

My 1911’s are setup with a very small rolling break.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Ah there you go. The "dot" connector. When it came on the scene I heard all about it's rolling break. Many "dots" and many many rounds and I can't quite discern a "rolling". And I can't detect that motion after the shot you describe with a minus. I don't perceive that or over travel in anything else after the loud noise.

Makes me fairly easy to please I guess.
    You're a lucky man! Doing timed tests where distance is involved like distance change up, I see a significant difference in speed and accuracy with a defined wall as opposed to the rolling break. The wall is light enough that it doesn't hurt me when I'm Slappy McSlapperson from 7 yards and in and I gain a huge advantage with it.

The "." would work, but it's break is a little too far forward in the pull and I have to concentrate a little bit harder to get a straight back pull. The old TTI connector moves the break back in the pull, allowing me to get a straight back pull naturally and a shorter reset with a defined wall.

User Tag List