Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here swears by red dot sights for their daily carry?

Site Supporter
    If I were looking to play prior to commiting to a new slide or milling an existing slide, and I shot a Glock, I would give this a whirl:

https://suarezinternational.com/suar...-red-dot-base/

pat

Great thread, I have been thinking about an RMR but have not taken the plunge yet.

Difficult transition from irons only to an RMR?

RMR's are just dandy for every day carry, but not necessary. I am particularly of them due to my poor eyesight.

Glock 34 Gen 4
    Slide milled by Primary Machine (Nitride coated)
    Ameriglo Suppressor Sights
    PHLster Spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I have been exclusively using an RDS equipped pistol since 2010 or so.

There is ZERO reason to put an RDS on a long slide like a G34.
    You speak in absolutes.

There are many reasons to put a RDS on a Glock 34. The first being something called preference.

I know one (1.0) guy who has gone all red dot on a G17, no BUIS at all.
    He shoots it in competition, he carries it daily, he has a regular battery change schedule.
    His presentation is so well practiced by now, that if his light goes out, I think he would make useful hits at self defense ranges by framing the opponent in the window.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I have been exclusively using an RDS equipped pistol since 2010 or so.

There is ZERO reason to put an RDS on a long slide like a G34.
    How about easy to adjust point of impact for different ammo? ,i.e., brand, bullet weight, +p, etc.
    Ability to put bullet precisely where you want it? (Try that with HD type sights.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I went the route of just buying a whole new porpoise-built slide from One Source Tactical (I know, I know) and have been very happy with them.
    Now if only my dumbass self hadn’t sheared off one of those little Allen wrenches in the screw trying to get the loc-tited thing loose today to change the battery.
    I've got two Suarez slides and two Grey Ghost, been very pleased with both. Oh, and spend a couple bucks on an allen driver for those screws. Makes life a lot easier.

If you keep an eye out you can find deals on used slides, on Suarez' forum and some FB groups. That's probably the cheapest route after getting your OEM slide milled.

I'm a huge proponent of RMR's, but I wouldn't say they're "necessary". Plenty of people shot very well before RMR's came along. But they're better than iron sights alone. So if you wanted to build the best carry weapon, it'd have an RMR.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 09-24-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Not trying to be vague and yes, some things are absolutes or pretty close to it. There have been prior posts discussing the merits of an RDS vs. iron sights on Glocks. Every unit I know that used to run a G34 or G35 who then added slide mounted RDS discovered that there was NO advantage to running an RDS on the long slide pistols. When trying all the different combinations on a timer and with scoring, most personnel tended to perform better with a G19 length slide when running an RDS. Here is commentary from one of the other threads (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....KM-compensator):

"With an RDS equipped pistol, there is no “sight radius”, so there is no accuracy benefit to having a pistol with a longer slide. In addition, many end-users report that when shooting rapidly, it is easier to track the RDS dot shot-to-shot when mounted on a shorter slide. As a result, many shooters who previously used long slide, iron sighted pistols like the G34/G35 to benefit from the enhanced sight radius on demanding shots requiring precision accuracy have now found they can use a smaller pistol like a G19 with an RDS and shoot just as accurately with the smaller pistol as they previously would with longer iron sighted handguns. Going one step further, folks found that with a compensator installed, they can have a compact handgun that is softer shooting, lighter weight, and offers better accuracy than their previous iron sighted long slide pistols."

Of course, some folks want to be different or don't choose to learn from the experiences and errors of others....

After 8 years of RDS use, the following still remains true:

-- For those with vision issues, an RDS equipped handgun can be the answer.
    -- For certain specific operational requirements and mission sets, a handgun mounted RDS is an excellent tool, particularly for long range engagements and when using NV.
    -- The ability to remain fully focused on the threat and not have to transition back to the front sight prior to shooting is a key advantage of a pistol with RDS for LE use.
    -- Slide mounted, reciprocating RDS are harder to shoot and less durable than stationary, frame mounted optics.

If you don't need an RDS, you don't have to use one; on the other hand, those who do use them, find them quite helpful in many respects.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 09-24-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Of course, some folks want to be different or don't choose to learn from the experiences and errors of others....

Trying to learn from the experience and errors of others:

If comps are off the table due to policy restrictions, do you still believe there is no advantage to the longer barrel of the 34 over a 19 (G45?)?

I carry a 34 since red dots aren’t currently allowed. I like the recoil impulse on my 34 better than a 17, it’s my competition gun, the longer sight radius, the (minimal) added velocity, etc. In your experience, does the performance of a red dot on an otherwise unmodified 19 length slide outweigh all the typical reasons people go with 34s?

Not trying to be vague and yes, some things are absolutes or pretty close to it. There have been prior posts discussing the merits of an RDS vs. iron sights on Glocks. Every unit I know that used to run a G34 or G35 who then added slide mounted RDS discovered that there was NO advantage to running an RDS on the long slide pistols. When trying all the different combinations on a timer and with scoring, most personnel tended to perform better with a G19 length slide when running an RDS. Here is commentary from one of the other threads (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....KM-compensator):

"With an RDS equipped pistol, there is no “sight radius”, so there is no accuracy benefit to having a pistol with a longer slide. In addition, many end-users report that when shooting rapidly, it is easier to track the RDS dot shot-to-shot when mounted on a shorter slide. As a result, many shooters who previously used long slide, iron sighted pistols like the G34/G35 to benefit from the enhanced sight radius on demanding shots requiring precision accuracy have now found they can use a smaller pistol like a G19 with an RDS and shoot just as accurately with the smaller pistol as they previously would with longer iron sighted handguns. Going one step further, folks found that with a compensator installed, they can have a compact handgun that is softer shooting, lighter weight, and offers better accuracy than their previous iron sighted long slide pistols."

After 8 years of RDS use, the following still remains true:

-- For those with vision issues, an RDS equipped handgun can be the answer.
    -- For certain specific operational requirements and mission sets, a handgun mounted RDS is an excellent tool, particularly for long range engagements and when using NV.
    -- The ability to remain fully focused on the threat and not have to transition back to the front sight prior to shooting is a key advantage of a pistol with RDS for LE use.
    -- Slide mounted, reciprocating RDS are harder to shoot and less durable than stationary, frame mounted optics.

If you don't need an RDS, you don't have to use one; on the other hand, those who do use them, find them quite helpful in many respects.
    That's cool and all that you took the time to make an elaborate post, but you still missed the number one reason that I posted...

Preference.

I've shot with a 19, 17, 34, and 17 L with slide and frame mounted RDS. I prefer the G34.

User Tag List