Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here swears by red dot sights for their daily carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Please school this n00b
    When the type2's were coming out, Jagerworks ran a special, rmr (type 1) + milling, for $450. Cold blued the cuts for no cost, or add refinishing for an extra cost. I did my first glock this way free shipping too
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-20-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Please school this n00b
    Assuming you want a Glock done...

These guys did mine:
    https://zaffiriprecision.com/product...rmr-glock-cut/
    In conjunction with Tampa Hydrographics. Single color cerakote, with holiday discount (they seem to run the deal each holiday) was $99 as Tampa Hydrographics as the prime contact. Turn around time, 3 weeks. (last sale https://www.instagram.com/p/BnRIvuTH...aphicsfacility)

$45 for Ameriglo Suppressor Height Sights

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ameriglo-Bl...ss!33823!US!-1

and I bought my RMRs from either Cabela's last year when they were blowing them out or Shoot Straight's eBay page. Highest paid was $345 from Shoot Straight. Less than $500 all in. You could probably find used type 1 RMRs for less if you went used. I've seen them pop up for less than $300 on various boards and eBay. I'm reluctant to buy from "sum doood" on eBay if he's selling for that low. Don't buy the dual illuminated RMRs, they're garbage.

I've always had poor vision, since 3rd grade. I've never let it be an excuse but have always been and average/below average shooter. The RMR has really removed my excuses. Accuracy has gone up, speed has seen a slight decrease in splits but I think that has more to do with the fact I'm actually tracking sights now as opposed to point shooting on trigger reset. I'm glad L&M was mostly unharmed by Florence as he has my first Sig slide getting done and will get 2-3 more as funds allow (RMRs tucked away in the safe waiting...)

Please school this n00b
    If you plan on milling an existing slide, it's going to be ~$650 minimum (when you factor in shipping on the slide). There really is not a way to do it cheap and right. The only optic I would mount (and have mounted) to a slide is the RMR (RM06 or RM07). The Aimpoint looks promising, but it will be very dependent on mounting solutions and how well it interacts with BUIS (I would never use an RDS on any platform I use for self defense without BUIS). We will see. If the new offering from Aimpoint is similar to the one mounted to the B&T USW-A1, I will probably stick with an RMR.

I've built three (1 colt, 2 glocks) with RM06, type 1's. My vision is beyond horrible, and this is the only way I can really aim. They've been problem free so far, but my round count is very low. They carry just fine, and hold up well to the banging around that accompanies EDC.

Very interesting.

My 50-something-year-old eyes are beginning (!!) to struggle with front-sight focus. Been wondering about rmr and how it can help.

Lots to think about and budget for.

Very interesting.

My 50-something-year-old eyes are beginning (!!) to struggle with front-sight focus. Been wondering about rmr and how it can help.

Lots to think about and budget for.
    The numbers I listed were assuming Type 2 RMR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    The numbers I listed were assuming Type 2 RMR's.
    Pls decipher for this rmr n00b.

Pls decipher for this rmr n00b.
    Type 2 is the updated trijicon rmr. I think as of now, pre acro. Is probably the best bet.

The acro will have a bigger signature but I do not think it will mess with concealment that much.

I prefer a direct mill to the mos footplate for the rmr/rmr2. I believe it is a lot more reliable and you should not have to worry about the optic coming loose. Hopefully the acro will be better in the mos footprint. The mounting system should be better than the rmr style. And will have less components.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Type 2 is the updated trijicon rmr. I think as of now, pre acro. Is probably the best bet.

The acro will have a bigger signature but I do not think it will mess with concealment that much.

I prefer a direct mill to the mos footplate for the rmr/rmr2. I believe it is a lot more reliable and you should not have to worry about the optic coming loose. Hopefully the acro will be better in the mos footprint. The mounting system should be better than the rmr style. And will have less components.
    If I were buying today, I might wait for the Aimpoint offering. But, as of now, I am not going to be an early adopter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    If I were buying today, I might wait for the Aimpoint offering. But, as of now, I am not going to be an early adopter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My gut says the product will be Aimpoint durable, but the question is the form factor, and that should be a case of spending a minute or two looking at it. Multiple shops are getting set up to direct mill the Acro, and that is the way I would proceed.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List