Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here swears by red dot sights for their daily carry?

As a long time dot sight shooter, having shot USPSA Open division type guns since 1992, I’m not yet on board using one for carry.

Inside of 12 yards, I can shoot on par Limited versus dot. So cost (not financial) versus benefit doesn’t add up, for me.

I do have a slide out getting milled for my 34 for carry optics division, so over time I may reevaluate.

Site Supporter
    2 G19s one with a Type 1 RMR and 1 with a Type 2. The type 2 is my EDC. I've found the dot really improves my shooting with nearly 60 year old eyes.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I EDC a G19.4 with Trijicon RM06 and Suarez suppressor height night sights as BUIS. I have very poor vision, and the RDS has given me back a ton of confidence in shooting. YMMV.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Type 1 RMR as far as durability/reliability? I've been offered a fantastic deal on one by a friend and would mainly use it for CO division (I know there may be better sights for CO but whatevs), and I may carry it too. Just curious. Don't know much about them.

I have two G19.4s milled for Type 1s. I use one as my duty gun and one is my off duty carry. I find them to be a massive advantage. I find I'm more accurate now because I can focus on fundamentals more when I'm placing the dot where I want the shot to go. The dot shows you where you are messing up because you can watch it moving. I find I'm faster with it, especially when tracking a moving target or running a plate rack as well. I'm fully into the RMR camp. The only gun I carry without one is my G43 which I don't carry often enough for me to warrant getting a RMR for.

Stupid question, but how does the optic work. On competitions the CO competitors seem to always have to stop and turn them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Stupid question, but how does the optic work. On competitions the CO competitors seem to always have to stop and turn them on.
    Most all duty type optics turn on automatically. Some automatically adjust the dot brightness to ambient light. Some you set the dot manually to a preferred brightness. And some have both options. You also have different size dots you can choose from.

Thanks for the info. My old eyes are saying I may be going this route soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    What is everyone's thoughts on the Type 1 RMR as far as durability/reliability? I've been offered a fantastic deal on one by a friend and would mainly use it for CO division (I know there may be better sights for CO but whatevs), and I may carry it too. Just curious. Don't know much about them.
    I opted for type1 RM06's because I didn't want the auto-off feature of the type2. and I know of lots of type1 optics that are holding up just fine. Being cheaper was also a big bonus

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Related: How does one add a GTG rmr to one’s pistol without spending $600+?
    Trijicon offers a number of mounts that fit into the rear dovetail of a gun or take the place of the rear sight on an S&W revolver for less than $100. I first tried an RMR on my HK45C using this method to see if I liked the red dot before having my slide milled by L&M. It has the advantage of being non destructive. You can tap out the mount and replace it with your rear sight. The disadvantage is that you can't use co-witnessed iron sights; the RMR mounts too high for that. I think it's a great way to get started for minimal investment.

User Tag List