Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here swears by red dot sights for their daily carry?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Except you, too, are missing the point of preference.

I prefer the way a long slide shoots.
    I keep a WML on my 34 that protrudes to the end of the slide.
    I prefer the weight of a longslide with a WML.
    I have a greater piece of mind knowing I still have close to a 19 length sight radius on my slide if I ever need irons, since it IS a defensive pistol.
    I also like knowing that I have a 5.3" barrel vs a 4" barrel when shooting defensive ammunition.
    The full size frame of a 34 also fits my hand much better than a 19.

A 19 feels tiny to me. The G45 is something I may look into, but with a WML, it's still going to be the length of a 34.

Again, all of those points you brought forward are purely subjective. What you prefer doesn’t help the OP choose what’s best for him because he might have different preferences. All we can do is let him know the objective points. You prefer how a longslide gun shoots and feels, how a full size frame fits your hand better and having a longer barrel for some piece of mind. We don’t know if any of that matters to the OP or to anyone who prefers different things. That’s why I only addressed objectively measurable things in my response. A shorter slide will clear a holster faster because there’s less material to clear from a holster to begin your draw. A shorter slide will cycle faster because there’s less distance to travel for a complete recoil cycle. For Glocks in particular, the shorter barrels have often been shown to be more accurate than the longer ones because they are stiffer. Those are facts that apply to everyone. All the other pieces of information about individual preferences don’t apply to everyone.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Guessing less slide mass.
    I thought those were the same for 17 and 34.

@Lon and @UnoZero, thanks for the info.
    Last edited by YVK; 09-26-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I thought those were the same for 17 and 34.

@Lon and @UnoZero, thanks for the info.
    There is weight, length and distribution of weight. The Glock website lists the unloaded weight of the G5 34 MOS as 23.46, the G4 34 as 23.10, and the 17 as 22.05 ounces.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Again, all of those points you brought forward are purely subjective. What you prefer doesn’t help the OP choose what’s best for him because he might have different preferences. All we can do is let him know the objective points. You prefer how a longslide gun shoots and feels, how a full size frame fits your hand better and having a longer barrel for some piece of mind. We don’t know if any of that matters to the OP or to anyone who prefers different things. That’s why I only addressed objectively measurable things in my response. A shorter slide will clear a holster faster because there’s less material to clear from a holster to begin your draw. A shorter slide will cycle faster because there’s less distance to travel for a complete recoil cycle. For Glocks in particular, the shorter barrels have often been shown to be more accurate than the longer ones because they are stiffer. Those are facts that apply to everyone. All the other pieces of information about individual preferences don’t apply to everyone.
    Right. You are further proving my point. It's been proven that the red dots make the sight radius negligible, so everything outside of that is a preference. That's exactly what I said in my previous post.

Dave_M, nope.

There are objective, measurable data points that have been taken for hundreds of military and LE shooters. The overwhelming majority objectively shoot an RDS better on a G19 slide length vs. a G34 length--the exact opposite from shooting irons. When this was first discovered, it was counter-intuitive and forced folks to really look hard at the factual data and ignore personal preferences for that group of end-users. What you choose to do for yourself is all up to you and frankly, no one really cares except you...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Before the 19x, long slides meant g17/34/17L. Short slides meant g19. Your grip preference definitely has an impact on shooting performance. I would ASSume most would shoot a g19 differently than a 19x because of the grip length/shape. I can see this driving the preference for long or short slides.

The 19x could change all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Dave_M, nope.

There are objective, measurable data points that have been taken for hundreds of military and LE shooters. The overwhelming majority objectively shoot an RDS better on a G19 slide length vs. a G34 length--the exact opposite from shooting irons. When this was first discovered, it was counter-intuitive and forced folks to really look hard at the factual data and ignore personal preferences for that group of end-users. What you choose to do for yourself is all up to you and frankly, no one really cares except you...
    You are not even discussing the same topic as we are.

Where did I state that there are no measurable data points? Where did I state that there was not a majority who shoot better with a 19 length slide?

No one cares, except for you obviously. Either you are ignoring anyone's opinion other than yours or you can't comprehend how someone would choose to do something you dislike.

Let me repeat, there are reasons one would choose a Glock 34 over a 19, regardless of your experience, other's experience, and the measurable data points you cling to.

Dave_M, nope.

Dave_M, I've known Bill for a couple of decades....you are likely misrepresenting what he is stating there.

I subjectively loved my iron sighted G34's, as did many people who used them on duty. That feeling does not change the fact that when slide mounted RDS were added, the G19 length slides objectively performed better.

Again, I could care less what you or any individual wants to do. However, I am concerned about how agencies and organizations make such decisions and want the correct information available to these folks.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 09-26-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Dave_M, I've known Bill for a couple of decades....you are likely misrepresenting what he is stating there.

I subjectively loved my iron sighted G34's, as did many people who used them on duty. That feeling does not change the fact that when slide mounted RDS were added, the G19 length slides objectively performed better.

Again, I could care less what you or any individual wants to do. However, I am concerned about how agencies and organizations make such decisions and want the correct information available to these folks.
    Uh no...

I’m not misrepresenting anything. That came directly from a thread asking about the benefits of a RDS on a G34 or 17L.

That’s wonderful that you care about ensuring LE get what they need, but it isn’t what you originally stated, nor relevant to the statements you’ve made here.

User Tag List