Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here swears by red dot sights for their daily carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I wish I could fully grasp why longer slides with RMR are frowned upon by many vs shorter slides with RMR.
    I don’t think they’re frowned upon, it’s more that adding a MRDS to a gun with a shorter slide gains you more advantages than adding a MRDS to the same gun but with a longer slide. The draw will be fractions of a second faster and the slide will cycle slightly faster on a gun with a shorter slide. The extra barrel length and iron sight radius gains you nothing when you aren’t using iron sights anymore outside of competition where you have to worry about making power factor.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I don’t think they’re frowned upon, it’s more that adding a MRDS to a gun with a shorter slide gains you more advantages than adding a MRDS to the same gun but with a longer slide. The draw will be fractions of a second faster and the slide will cycle slightly faster on a gun with a shorter slide. The extra barrel length and iron sight radius gains you nothing when you aren’t using iron sights anymore outside of competition where you have to worry about making power factor.
    Well, the specific area of benefit that I hope to achieve by adding MRDS is to eliminate my need to focus on front sight, as my older eyes are struggling in this specific regard. I'm not a gamer, so the tiny fraction of a second that I might give up for slower slide cycling should be more than made up for by easier/faster sight picture thru MRDS vs iron sights.

Call me crazy.

This. I think sometimes people get a bit too vested in some things. Quantitatively there is no accuracy gain from the longer slides like with irons. Velocity gains are probably not going to mean much aside from power factor for gaming situations. However, there is a subjective part of shooting. That being the shooter. If you’re more comfortable shooting a 17L for whatever reason, even if it’s purely mental, you’ll do better with it than a 19.

Pick the gun you shoot the best and meets YOUR needs. It’s that simple.

Except you, too, are missing the point of preference.

I prefer the way a long slide shoots.
    I keep a WML on my 34 that protrudes to the end of the slide.
    I prefer the weight of a longslide with a WML.
    I have a greater piece of mind knowing I still have close to a 19 length sight radius on my slide if I ever need irons, since it IS a defensive pistol.
    I also like knowing that I have a 5.3" barrel vs a 4" barrel when shooting defensive ammunition.
    The full size frame of a 34 also fits my hand much better than a 19.

A 19 feels tiny to me. The G45 is something I may look into, but with a WML, it's still going to be the length of a 34.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Pick the gun you shoot the best and meets YOUR needs. It’s that simple.
    That's the point I've been making all along. Shoot what you prefer. Not what someone tells you is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    To what do you attribute this?
    Guessing less slide mass.

Just to be clear, the performance differences I may be observing fall into the category of dancing on the head of a pin, and are mostly relevant to competition. The big potential performance gain is from the optic, and that far and away trumps slide length.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Well, the specific area of benefit that I hope to achieve by adding MRDS is to eliminate my need to focus on front sight, as my older eyes are struggling in this specific regard. I'm not a gamer, so the tiny fraction of a second that I might give up for slower slide cycling should be more than made up for by easier/faster sight picture thru MRDS vs iron sights.

Call me crazy.

Wouldn't that actually compound the problem? You are on the sight faster but the slide isn't there yet because it's slower? So you would be able to out run the gun faster?
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Who here swears by red dot sights for their daily carry?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Can someone post a height of a front suppressor sight that works with RMR installed on a directly milled slide? Let's say, ATEI-depth pocket as an example.
    Most co-witness suppressor sights for milled slides are .315” front and rear. Suarez, 10-8, L2D, Trijicon, and Steel City Arsenal come to mind. I’ve owned them all, and the only difference is your preference for sight picture. Functionally they’ve been identical.

For the MOS you’ll want taller, most are .395-.415”.

For rear sights, make sure the manufacturers dimensions are the height above the slide. I believe Ameriglos .395” rear is .395” total height for the whole sight, while .315-320” is visible above the slide. (It might not be Ameriglo but I know somebody does it like that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 09-26-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Wouldn't that actually compound the problem? You are on the sight faster but the slide isn't there yet because it's slower? So you would be able to out run the gun faster?
    I'm interested in the sighting benefit as opposed to pure speed. But I've not tried optics on a pistol, so I'm going to have to see about somehow experimenting with an RMR setup to determine if it will do what I'm thinking it will for my aging eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Guessing less slide mass.

Just to be clear, the performance differences I may be observing fall into the category of dancing on the head of a pin, and are mostly relevant to competition. The big potential performance gain is from the optic, and that far and away trumps slide length.
    Hence your interest in the 19X?

User Tag List