Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here swears by red dot sights for their daily carry?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    it is no skin off my nose....
    Yet here you are...

You do you too, buttercup.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Please check back in thirty days.
    With the new Aimpoint?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    With the new Aimpoint?
    Yes
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"In your experience, does the performance of a red dot on an otherwise unmodified 19 length slide outweigh all the typical reasons people go with 34s?"
    Yes. Longslides like the G34 work great with irons, but you don't objectively gain anything with a slide mounted RDS on a long slide....excepting subjective personal preferences, as noted in the lovely commentary above.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Yes
    Sweeet!!! I'm inching closer to dipping my toes into the RDS water. Aimpoint is my hope.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Posts like this do not rise to the level of discourse expected at PF. I’d appreciate it you could refrain from continuing in this vein. Thank you.
    Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Yes. Longslides like the G34 work great with irons, but you don't objectively gain anything with a slide mounted RDS on a long slide....excepting subjective personal preferences, as noted in the lovely commentary above.
    You don't objectively gain anything with a slide mounted RDS on anything longer than a G43.
    You DO gain many things with a long slide, but it's not pertinent to the discussion about RDS.
    This is the reason you see many professionals with slide mounted optics on a 34.

There are currently two offerings for a RDS mounted on a Glock 43:

Dueck Defense RMR Mount

Slide milled for the Shield RMSc

For competition use, the Glock 34 has been the Glock competition pistol for so long, that I suspect many default to it for competition use with a dot, even though sight radius is irrelevant with a dot. Some secondary reasons are:

1) being able to make power factor with a lighter load, due to the longer barrel.

2) familiarity with the balance of a 34, if used with iron sights in Production/Limited.

3) some prefer the subjectively softer feeling 34 slide, even if the shorter slide is flatter.

4) if you wanted a G5, the 34 was the only option for the MOS.

As I said previously, I always preferred how the 19 slide tracked with a dot, but the grip was too short for me, and a magwell was not legal for Carry Optics. The 19X, and particularly G45 with forward serrations, checks all the boxes for me for use with optics, as having the factory provide forward serrations saves $150 when have the slide direct milled. I think Glock did great with the new model 45!

For competition use, the Glock 34 has been the Glock competition pistol for so long, that I suspect many default to it for competition use with a dot, even though sight radius is irrelevant with a dot. Some secondary reasons are:

1) being able to make power factor with a lighter load, due to the longer barrel.

2) familiarity with the balance of a 34, if used with iron sights in Production/Limited.

3) some prefer the subjectively softer feeling 34 slide, even if the shorter slide is flatter.

As I said previously, I always preferred how the 19 slide tracked with a dot, but the grip was too short for me, and a magwell was not legal for Carry Optics. The 19X, and particularly G45 with forward serrations, checks all the boxes for me for use with optics, as having the factory provide forward serrations saves $150 when have the slide direct milled. I think Glock did great with the new model 45!
    Agreed.

The 19 is very popular, but it's my least favorite Glock. It's an in-between gun that fits no roles for me personally. I've carried a Glock 17 since day one. Transitioned to a 19 for a month or so, but it wasn't small enough to warrant not carrying a 17. I then transitioned to a 34 and a KKM comped 17 for a spell.

You posted earlier you preferred the 17 over the 34.

I have I prefer the recoil/tracking of the 17, but sight radius is the reason I ran a 34. How does the 17 with a dot compare to the 19?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    You posted earlier you preferred the 17 over the 34.

I have I prefer the recoil/tracking of the 17, but sight radius is the reason I ran a 34. How does the 17 with a dot compare to the 19?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven’t done that comparison between 17 and 19X, but hope to soon. I also need to check that my ammo makes PF out of the shorter barrel.

User Tag List