Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 15 Round Factory Magazines

Site Supporter

Glock 17 15 Round Factory Magazines

I read in an older thread here that NYC requires that their issue Glock 17's be reduced to 15 shot capacity. Wonders never cease. Is this information true? Explanation?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I read in an older thread here that NYC requires that their issue Glock 17's be reduced to 15 shot capacity. Wonders never cease. Is this information true? Explanation?
    Yes, it is true.

1) Their other duty guns, including the SW 5946 it replaced, are all 15 round magazines.
    2) When you have 40,000 cops who have to shoot twice a year and you are qualifying 1,000 cops per week uniformity matters.

Why not just look up the old thread : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-the-Glock-17

I’ve wanted them to make these for so many years, for use in NJ. When they finally do, NJ goes to 10.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    They're very useful here in CO...

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Bucky;790346]I’ve wanted them to make these for so many years, for use in NJ. When they finally do, NJ goes to 10. [/QUO

I don't know if it's true but read one place that off duty New Jersey cops can't carry 17 rd mags.

NYPD requires the Glock 17s to have 15 round magazines for their force. Because the Glock 19 and other authorized duty guns have 15 round magazines, this helps with lowest common denominator training.

For a civilian in NYC, once you go through the arduous licensing requirements which takes close to a year, costs over $400 in fees, required several written character references, you are limited to a 10 round magazine for an automatic pistol. Licensing requirements for a longarm are a little easier and less expensive, but you are limited to a 5 round magazine capacity if you reside within NYC. If you reside elsewhere in NY state outside of outside of NYC, you don't need a license to buy a longarm but are limited in most cases to a 10 round magazine capacity.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’ve wanted them to make these for so many years, for use in NJ. When they finally do, NJ goes to 10.
    I don't know if it's true but read one place that off duty New Jersey cops can't carry 17 rd mags.
    The new law would seem to dictate that (emphasis mine):

Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-6, a law enforcement officer may possess and carry while on duty a large capacity ammunition magazine and possess and carry while off duty a large capacity ammunition magazine which is capable of holding up to 15 rounds of ammunition that can be fed continuously and directly into a semi-automatic firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    They're very useful here in CO...
    Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Then they issue out ammo, it’s a box of 50.
    15+1 in the gun and 2x15 on the belt = 46
    17+1 in the gun and 2x17 on the belt = 52

They account for every single round, you can’t have extra. You don’t get issued 50. You get issued 46. That is covered by pulling 4 rounds from a box of 50. If you have to give the 50 plus 2 loose.... it would confuse folks.

As mentioned, qualifying 40,000 officers is difficult.
    5 days a week x 52 weeks is 260 days to run qual, that’s roughly 154 officers per day, every day. Standardization is pretty mandatory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List