Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HK DA/SA

Site Supporter
    I wanted to love HKs.

And I tried... with a P2SK LEM, an HK45c and a USPc 45. And, despite the 100% reliability track record across all three of those guns... I can't say any of them really "spoke" to me, from a shootability standpoint.

-The P2SK LEM was one of the first guns I owned. So, I was still kinda figuring out what I liked. But, suffice to say... it wasn't LEM. It didn't have the smooth, rolling break of a good DA, nor was it as crisp and intuitive as a true SA. After adding a P245 and a P239 as alternative carry options, the writing was on the wall. Also... it was a thick little bastard.

-The HK45c may have been the most inherently accurate gun I've owned, but it had the worst DA trigger I've ever used (with an aftermarket spring, my Radom P64 was better). Gritty. Heavy. Creepy. Shitty. In SA (acceptable, I guess), the gun would group super tight... somewhat close to where I was aiming. For me, the ergonomics felt off--the grip was too slick and it positioned my hand too low to comfortably engage the trigger.

-So I got a USPc 45...... now, I'll say the trigger on this gun (for me, anyway) was just fine. Actually had a nicer DA pull than some of my older Sigs. SA was fine too. But man... that grip. Too narrow. Too deep (front to back). Just couldn't hold onto the gun. It was such an abominable tank of a gun. It just felt like engineering, incarnate. But alas... it went too.

Recently, I've dry fired a few P30SKs and they actually felt pretty good. I'd consider picking one up at some point. I've also heard the USP series has inherently better trigger lockwork than P series guns. Not entirely sure... but my experience with the USPc 45 corroborates this. I'd also consider trying a USP in 9mm. I feel like the grip might feel better as doublestack--with less back to front depth.

In all, I really do appreciate the over-engineering that goes into HKs. In my mind, their reliability and toughness is unquestioned. That said... my Beretta 92 compact has never hiccuped and it allows me to carve golfball-sized holes at will, wherever I point it. Thank you, Pietro.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 10-23-2018 at 10:09 PM.

User Tag List