Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK DA/SA

HK DA/SA

I'm looking at getting an HK P2000 or P30 and I'm looking at their trigger options. I'm pretty set on a V1 light LEM to start out with but I was wondering about V3 HK DA/SA triggers. I've heard not so great things about them here and there but wanted to get a conversation started about it with you good folks. If this topic has been covered before, let me know. I've heard the DA/SA are just kind of meh compared with say Beretta or Sig. So what's the deal with them? Are they worth investing in or is LEM the trigger option to get?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    I liked the DA/SA P2KSK... Training for 2 different trigger pulls is not impossible, but you may find it not your preference.

I mostly liked it for the AIWB safety factor of the heavier first shot, but have switched to a G17 with Gadget. I find carrying the G17 much more comfortable.

The one annoying thing about the HK DA/SA carried AIWB (right handed) is the need to de-horn the decocker or use a holster with body guard. I found the decock lever very pokie (not pokey ). Also, I have a lot of t-shirts with small, unexplained holes at decocker level. Never found a shirt caught in the lever, so, may have been a hammer edge causing the trouble.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Hammertime
    I like my HK DA/SAs better than their LEM counterparts personally.

They all get a light firing pin block spring (part #209296) which puts the trigger pulls in the 8#/3.5# range.

You just need to decide if you want a DA/SA or a LEM trigger.

TDA > LEM

fite me!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Also, I have a lot of t-shirts with small, unexplained holes at decocker level. Never found a shirt caught in the lever, so, may have been a hammer edge causing the trouble.
    Most of my t-shirts are in the same boat from carrying a Shield. Might be your belt instead.

I'd recommend potentially looking at a USPC instead of a P2K if this is your first dive into HKs. The USP series can be converted between DA/SA and LEM with a (somewhat expensive) kit without harming your warranty or leaving gaps in the frame. The USPC also uses the same mags as the P2000 and can accept P30 mags with a slight gap if you decide to pick up one or the other down the line. Reset is noticeably better with the USPC as well compared to the P30 series.

As for comparing LEM to DA/SA, I'm not a huge DA snob given that my only other DA gun is an old FNP-9, but the P30L V3 I have got fairly nice after 1,000 rounds and a light firing pin block spring as mentioned. The pull is somewhat long, but the weight isn't bad and it feels fairly smooth to me. I've since switched over to Light LEM, but I wouldn't complain if circumstances arose that forced me to shoot an HK DA/SA again.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    TDA > LEM

fite me!
    Don’t have to remember to de-cock with LEM.

Even though I cut my teeth on TDA Sigs, last time I went to the LGS my stupid self was having trouble with de-cocking. Not forgetting mind you, just the motor skills part. Stupid hands...
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I found the P30 V3 DA/SA to be unacceptable. It is much worse than the Beretta 92-series or SIG P22x DA/SA triggers. The DA pull is bad, but the SA pull is just not consistent for me. To be fair, my experience is with a stock V3.

Site Supporter
    HK DA is heavy compared to any other DA/SA gun out there. I am sure there are ways to work it over, but the HK DA was always tough to be accurate with for me compared to other DA/SA guns. For reference, I have used the P2000 (had the most time on that gun), P30 and HK45 and HK45c.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    All my new-ish USPs have relatively unlovely triggers. Compared to other good TDA pistols, the DA is quite heavy and not smooth. Not gritty, more just bumpy. Also, it seems there is more flex in the trigger and/or frame than with a Sig or steel-trigger Beretta, which is likely exacerbated by the weight of the DA press. It definitely doesn't have the precise feeling and crispness of the others.

I also have a USP 40 so old it has Ballard rifling. I think it's a '94 or '95. The DA is pretty nicely broken in, and would be difficult to criticize.

LEM is likely the best of the "enhanced" DAO options.

A nicely detailed Beretta DAO action is a beautiful thing, even without any "enhanced" characteristics. It's possible it's not as popular as it should be due to having been paired so frequently with the .40 S&W cartridge, which was not a good combination with the Beretta pistol before dust covers were slanted.

Read the three DB trigger threads and decide if LEM is what you want/need. Then commit to work with it, or don't.

If you aren't specifically focused on the "easy to not shoot" aspects of the LEM, then the finer points of the trigger characteristics become just one of many attributes to be weighed against each other. A well-broken-in TDA action in H&K, classic Sig, or Beretta will all be close enough that they won't likely be the biggest factor in how well you're able to run the gun at speed. I wouldn't pick a pistol just based on the trigger press.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

You could look at doing these things to a USP:
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-refer...ch-better.html

Plus the light firing pin block spring. All put together about $60 from hkparts including the V3 detente plate. Definitely smoothed out mine. If you do it, the special needlenose for holding the trigger spring would be a good idea, it’s tricky.

User Tag List