Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIWB uncomfortable when seated?

Seated AIWB is extremely comfortable for me with a HK P2000 or G19 sized gun. I've driven all day in this arrangment without any problems. I'm 5'10" 180". I might have problems with a pistol with a longer barrel.

I generally prefer a belt that is not super stiff. JM Custom Kydex or Dark Star Gear are my go-to holsters. Ride height and cant adjustment is good. If I carry a spare mag, it's usually in my pocket.

FWIW I find the Side-car holsters horribly uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Attachment 30511

I tucked my shirt in behind the gun for the purpose of this photo, but when I’m not getting paid to carry something else, I carry a 92D AIWB, and spend 8-9 hours seated every day, plus another 3-4 hours walking. It’s fine. I’m testing the mag holder, and that was great too. I don’t normally carry a reload though.
    I carry a 92G and it's fine seated or driving. In fact it's more comfortable driving for a long time than IWB. I think it's that the contour of my truck seats makes me lean a bit with a gun on my hip.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I carry a 92G and it's fine seated or driving. In fact it's more comfortable driving for a long time than IWB. I think it's that the contour of my truck seats makes me lean a bit with a gun on my hip.
    When I do carry IWB it's right at 3:00, sometimes even 2:45, for this specific reason.

I’m a fat ass, just shy of a lard ass. 5’6, #200+

Carry G19+RMR in an Eidilon. No issues sitting unless I’m wearing a really stiff belt. Then sitting and other positions have hot spots.

For my body, I’ve found that a stiff belt = pain. Arkteryx Conveyor or belts of similar stiffness work the best.

I don't wear an incredibly stiff belt either.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I find I need pants a size bigger (I wear 36” but I could fit in 34”) and wear the belt looser a few notches for the gun to move with my body some.

Does it sacrifice draw speed a bit and gun location? Probably. But, the benefits of AIWB are worthwhile IMHO.

But I can fit a Glock 19 Gen 5 with spare mag comfortably.

I use a Jmck 2.0 with Wing claw, AIWB high rise height Glock mag carrier, and Alonso Defense Emissary Gun Belt.

Wearing a belt with notches and loosening/tightening easily has made this much better for me compared back to when I loosened/tightened Wilderness Tactical Belts. I never had a good idea how tight or loose I was from belt tie to belt tie, and that made a huge difference honestly with carrying for me and comfort. I could let the (ETA: belt) bet out an inch with each eyelet and measure/test/fit/verify easily. I think that’s an underestimated thing.

Losing 50 lbs also helped (260 down to about 211 this morning).
    Last edited by BWT; 09-21-2018 at 09:15 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I have carried aiwb for well over 10 years. My belly has recently become bigger and now I am experiencing discomfort when seated from the added pressure of my belly pushing on the grip which in turn causes the muzzle end of the holster to press harder into my lower region. If I know that I am going to be seated a lot, I pass on carrying my G17 and carry my G26 or G19. The pressure is far less apparent with the decrease in pressure from the smaller grip interacting with my belly.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Site Supporter
    6'2, 196.6 this am. 34Waist/34Inseam, 44L sportscoat, L/XL top depending on cut. I have carried a G35 or G34 in a CCC Shaggy or Keepers "Beta Testing" holster since 2009ish (with the occasional G19, 17 or 1911 thrown in ) on a near daily basis with no comfort issues to include multiple 8hr plus car trips. Great holsters mated to great belts (Maxpedition Liger, Wilderness or old school Rafter S leather gun belt) = no issues.

Spencer's comment above re AIWB variables are spot on.

YMMV Greatly,

david of vcdgrips
    www.vcdgrips.com
    "get a better grip on your working gun"

I cannot comfortably sit very long while carrying a full-sized G19 or 1911 AIWB, but a G19 works well enough for comfort, on a good day. (If I have consumed much of a “trigger food,” my gut will bloat, badly, which is a bad day.) My challenge is concealment. Glocks are too blocky, where the outside rear corner of the slide presses against the cover garment, so an untucked shirt is not enough, to satisfy my eyes.

Revolvers work better, for me, especially in JM Custom Kydex AIWB rigs. One of mine is a JMCK George, with a rigid belt loop, for the SP101 snub-length gun, and the other is one of the more normal JMCK AIWB holsters, with soft loops, for the 4” K-Frame, which I just bought pre-owned. If/When my left shoulder heals well enough for my left hand to resume being the “primary” handgun-shooting hand, I will probably order a new lefty JMCK holster, or two, with the soft loops; weapon model(s) to be determined, but probably for revolver(s).

My specs: 6’ tall, jacket size 38L to 40L, able to fit into 32” VERTX trousers, but I buy an inch or two larger, 34” inseam.

For better comfort in the humid Texas coastal prairie climate, I tend to wear my guns outside the trousers, often @ “AOWB,” with the Kramer “Crossdraw” version of his Vertical Scabbard.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-21-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Site Supporter
    I'm 5'11" 240lbs, pretty fit build. I carry either a 1911 Government model or Glock 34 AIWB. Sitting is no problem, but tying shoes is. That's why I always double knot my laces before putting on my gun.

User Tag List