Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIWB uncomfortable when seated?

I find if the AIWB holster rides too low it can be uncomfortable sitting. I carry mine (JM) on typically the highest ride setting that it comes with and find it's not uncomfortable. Bending over to tie a shoe is a different story, but at least you don't have to do that all the time.

I'm short and stocky---5' 7", 185 lbs.

I can carry G17 all day in total comfort, no matter whether it's walking, sitting, driving, etc. The only action that is slightly limiting or uncomfortable is reaching down to tie my shoes. That's it. Really.

With the right holster and fitment, including some trial & error, most people are fine with it.

Sitting was the most uncomfortable for me. When I'm active, it posed no problems, but I sit at a desk for many hours a day. A generous foam pad (that extends beyond the edges of the holster) on a long holster made it work for me. I'm running JM or SME in G34/5" Gov't lengths.

ETA: My dad bod measures 5'10"/200lb/46R
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-20-2018 at 12:08 PM.

I carry either a G19 in a T-Rex Sidecar or a Walther PPS M2 in a Tier 1 Axis Slim held up by a Blue Alpha Gear low profile EDC belt. I have no issues while sitting with either setup. AIWB comfort has a lot to do with body type. Some people are just not going to be able to pull it off as well as others just because of how their built. A proper purpose built AIWB holster and a proper gun belt is also imperative.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    My question is pretty much stated above. I see pictures of folks with their AIWB holster setup, but they are always standing when the pic is taken. So if you have a pistol that is 3.5" to 4" in barrel length, how comfortable or uncomfortable is when seated. I love the concept, the firearm is handy to get to. But sitting and standing are two different things, and I am just looking for feedback from those folks that use this setup.....particularly comfort from seated position. Thanks in advance!
    No issues with quality holsters. Not just seated but throughout range of motion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEn1oedewlo
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Done properly AIWB is The most comfortable to carry a gun seated... period really

A lot of factors go into this

body type
    holster
    belt tension
    Cant
    Ride height
    holster width
    holster length ( longer is normally better)
    pant fit
    waist height
    shirt fit
    etc..

If only someone taught a AIWB class.... OH wait.. LOL
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Thanks to all who replied with their perspective from personal experiences.

180#, 5'9", 32" waist, 40 reg. No issues with a Commander or G17. I haven't found the right holster for a government model yet. Leather holsters are much better than plastic for me. If I'm going to be seated for a while I usually have to run my hand behind the butt to get it out from under my ribs.

Oddly enough I’ve been experiencing more discomfort standing versus sitting. Usually it’s the foam wedge giving me issues in that I feel it somewhat dig in to my leg. It does sometimes become uncomfortable in lengthy drives, but otherwise despite bending, squatting and all sorts of physical activity no problems. Until I’m standing or walking normally.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

As others have mentioned, a good belt is necessary and it is dependent on the size of the pistol.

I find G17/P226 sized holsters to be most comfortable and will frequently use the full size holster to accommodate a compact G19/P229 sized pistol. I normally carry with a WML, so the Inforce APL gets most my $$ because the size is so similar to the G17/P226 so the holster footprint stays the same. I try to have the holster set to ride as high as it will go, to me this gives enough below the belt so that it doesn't tip over when seated and having my gut pushing against it as well as enough to draw efficiently.

That sized holster doesn't interfere with the family jewels and normally tucks in between my leg and open area while seated or just above.

User Tag List