Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB uncomfortable when seated?

AIWB uncomfortable when seated?

My question is pretty much stated above. I see pictures of folks with their AIWB holster setup, but they are always standing when the pic is taken. So if you have a pistol that is 3.5" to 4" in barrel length, how comfortable or uncomfortable is when seated. I love the concept, the firearm is handy to get to. But sitting and standing are two different things, and I am just looking for feedback from those folks that use this setup.....particularly comfort from seated position. Thanks in advance!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    My question is pretty much stated above. I see pictures of folks with their AIWB holster setup, but they are always standing when the pic is taken. So if you have a pistol that is 3.5" to 4" in barrel length, how comfortable or uncomfortable is when seated. I love the concept, the firearm is handy to get to. But sitting and standing are two different things, and I am just looking for feedback from those folks that use this setup.....particularly comfort from seated position. Thanks in advance!
    This is why I don’t use it. I tried it, it is uncomfortable, so I do other things.

For me, very comfortable when seated. The muzzle sits right on the crease where my right leg meets my torso, plenty of room.

For reference I'm 5'8'' at 170 pounds (currently working to get back down to 160 though), Bravo Concealment holster.

My gun is a compensated G26 so it's basically as long as a G17. In the past I have AIWB'd a Makarov and then a USP compact with comfort too.

AIWB is extremely dependent on body type

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Tyrok; 09-20-2018 at 09:37 AM.

In my experience, if your belt line stays horizontal to the ground when seated, AIWB should be comfortable. If the front or rear drops lower than the other, you're probably going to experience some degree of discomfort. Body type dependent, yes, but posture and pant choice have an impact, too.

I carry a G19 in a G17 holster. I regularly spend hours driving and have not had any real discomfort. The longest I’ve spent sitting with the holster is two 15 hour road trips. I don’t remember any issues. All gun carrying is very individual though and you’ll have to get the correct belt and holster combination for your body. You’ll also have to experiment with where on the belt the holster rides and where on your body the belt rides. It will likely take some work.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Name:  192A5C8B-AC25-46A8-90B2-6BE9B5A468BF.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  45.2 KB

I tucked my shirt in behind the gun for the purpose of this photo, but when I’m not getting paid to carry something else, I carry a 92D AIWB, and spend 8-9 hours seated every day, plus another 3-4 hours walking. It’s fine. I’m testing the mag holder, and that was great too. I don’t normally carry a reload though.

I carry pretty much the same as the above picture. I do occasionally have a little discomfort when getting seated but I can quickly and easily raise my holster and belt to make the holster /gun more vertical and this always eliminates the discomfort. This is another reason I don’t prefer or carry with too stiff or tight of a belt.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Very uncomfortable for me. I have to take an AIWB mag carrier off to pick up brass. AIWB is very uncomfortable for with a seatbelt too. Not to mention that it would probably cause a pretty good injury if the seatbelt caught you with a gun under it.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Not to mention that it would probably cause a pretty good injury if the seatbelt caught you with a gun under it.
    No it won’t, not if you’re wearing your seatbelt properly, low and across the hips. The pre-tensioners in the seatbelt will snug the holster down to your body. You might have a bruise, but it won’t be the serious soft-tissue injury that people are worried about.

G19 with minimal beer gut. Very comfortable while seated. Extra mag carried up front is comfy as well.

User Tag List