Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip pressure and POI Shift

I'm much closer to a beginning pistol shooter than you guys in here - with that said:

When I got to learn from Gabe earlier this summer, he did two things with my grip. He had me take a little bit of the bottom of the heel of my right palm off the grip, in order to cement the whole left support hand palm onto the grip. Then, he had me "torque" my left hand up into the weapon light rail area.

This tightened up my groups and took them from consistent left or high left, to centered. I have adopted this for all my shooting and am learning to change my draw so that I get that grip by the time I'm extended.

These changes made several magnitudes more of a before/after difference than any changes I can make in grip pressure, two handed or single handed.
    Last edited by STI; 09-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With a 25 yard zero, I expect my 9mm pistols and slug guns to be several inches high at 50, back on at 75 yards and then dropping. Assuming a center hold on a six inch steel at 50, wouldn’t take much to go high?
    A 25 yard zero with a 9mm pistol shouldn't put you several inches high at 50 yards. At most, it's an inch or two. Anymore than that is coming from you.

When is the last time you shot your gun from a rest to check zero at 25 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    A 25 yard zero with a 9mm pistol shouldn't put you several inches high at 50 yards. At most, it's an inch or two. Anymore than that is coming from you.

When is the last time you shot your gun from a rest to check zero at 25 yards?
    What is the effect of the red dot/barrel offset on 50 yard trajectory?

I shoot groups all the time at 25 yards, but always freestyle since that is how I shoot the pistols in the field and competing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What is the effect of the red dot/barrel offset on 50 yard trajectory?

I shoot groups all the time at 25 yards, but always freestyle since that is how I shoot the pistols in the field and competing.
    Using a 1” offset, 25 yard zero, and common 9mm ammo, it’s about a .8” drop. I don’t know of a single person that can shoot 1” groups at 50 yards though, even from a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Using a 1” offset, 25 yard zero, and common 9mm ammo, it’s about a .8” drop. I don’t know of a single person that can shoot 1” groups at 50 yards though, even from a bench.
    Just to clarify, the effect of the one inch offset is an additional .8 inch to the whatever higher POI that occurs at 50 yards with a 25 yard zero and iron sights.

Back to the original thought, I bet a bunch of PF dollars that most shooters (not Cluster) would think their bullet would impact lower at 50 yards not higher. With six inch steel at 50 yards, and a center hold, the bullets will strike the top of the steel without aiming errors. Either a red dot or Kentucky windage for “all that distance” will make it worse. An infomed shooter would likely hold on the lower part of a six inch plate at 50 yards.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just to clarify, the effect of the one inch offset is an additional .8 inch to the whatever higher POI that occurs at 50 yards with a 25 yard zero and iron sights.

Back to the original thought, I bet a bunch of PF dollars that most shooters (not Cluster) would think their bullet would impact lower at 50 yards not higher. With six inch steel at 50 yards, and a center hold, the bullets will strike the top of the steel without aiming errors. Either a red dot or Kentucky windage for “all that distance” will make it worse. An infomed shooter would likely hold on the lower part of a six inch plate at 50 yards.
    Agree.

Also, POI from a rest will often not be the POI offhand. Whether an inch or two at 25 is a big deal or not depends on what you need to shoot.

While we are on this topic, how you chamber the round can affect your POI too. (Press checkers take note).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What happens when someone shoots freestyle will not always yield the same result as the mechanical accuracy of a firearm.

Certain zeroes will require a hold under, some require a hold over, but 9mm trajectories do not drop several inches at 50 yards, nor should they be several inches above the POA with a 25 yard zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    how you chamber the round can affect your POI too. (Press checkers take note).
    I've wondered about that. What's the preferred way to chamber from slide lock with full mag, slingshot or drop slide lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Agree.

Also, POI from a rest will often not be the POI offhand. Whether an inch or two at 25 is a big deal or not depends on what you need to shoot.

While we are on this topic, how you chamber the round can affect your POI too. (Press checkers take note).
    Can you provide quantifiable data on that?

Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post
    I've wondered about that. What's the preferred way to chamber from slide lock with full mag, slingshot or drop slide lock?
    Either as far as I know. But easing the slide forward or press checking changes the lockup and chambering of the case. In some cases this results in a significant poi shift.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List