Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VERIZON WIRELESS USERS CHANGE YOUR PIN NOW

Thanks for the heads-up, BBI. Sorry for the brain damage you're going through because of this mess.

Thanks for the heads up. Not a Verizon customer, but I appreciate the warning as I am always concerned about unauthorized account access.

One thing I do not understand is the linkage between the phone number and the bank providing access to your accounts and money. If I get this right, the crook called the bank, said they were you with a new phone number, and the bank provided them mobile or online access to your account. The bank providing access is the part I do not understand. Does the bank offer two-factor authentication? For me to change my mobile number, I have to log into the web application with a unique username and password and then change a phone number. If I am logging into the web application from a new device, I have to complete the two-factor authentication process (security questions or PIN sent to phone/email) before I can access any account or settings information. And the two factor authentication messages go to my phone or my wife's phone listed on the account. So Verizon had given your phone number to the crooks which allowed them to get the two-factor authentication message, which provided them account access. But how did they get your bank username and password to get the message sent to your phone number?

Looking to learn from this, so I can see if I have a security hole than needs patching.

Site Supporter
    Changed.

From going through the process it would seem to me to be a really difficult endeavor to make a hack like this.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post

One thing I do not understand is the linkage between the phone number and the bank providing access to your accounts and money. If I get this right, the crook called the bank, said they were you with a new phone number, and the bank provided them mobile or online access to your account.
    No, they stole my phone number and ported it to a new phone, so they were able to call from a phone number on my profile. As far as how they got access to reset my PIN, password, etc. I don't know since USAA doesn't have 24 hour fraud protection people. The customer service rep can only see my account is locked, nothing else, not even transactions. I won't have any info on that until later this morning.

They either couldn't, or didn't, change the associated email address as that's how I realized something was wrong.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Done. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PIN changed. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No, they stole my phone number and ported it to a new phone, so they were able to call from a phone number on my profile. As far as how they got access to reset my PIN, password, etc. I don't know since USAA doesn't have 24 hour fraud protection people. The customer service rep can only see my account is locked, nothing else, not even transactions. I won't have any info on that until later this morning.

They either couldn't, or didn't, change the associated email address as that's how I realized something was wrong.
    Very Interesting. Please Update, I understand the stolen number, but I don't see how access to other accounts can happen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Very Interesting. Please Update, I understand the stolen number, but I don't see how access to other accounts can happen.
    Go to bank web site
    Click "forgot user name"
    Ask bank to send user name to a device linked to the account (phone)
    Go to bank web site
    Click "forgot password"
    Ask Bank to send reset link to a device linked to your account.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

. Wonder if a cheap phone&plan for a different method of 2 factor authentication or a physical security key is the way to go to secure your email as a better defense against these types of attacks.y
    Last edited by scw2; 09-20-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Somehow or other a group of thieves/hackers have gotten Verizon pins. I know for sure nobody knows my PIN other than me, not even my wife, but someone called in with my info and stole my number. They are calling Verizon and porting the number to a new phone, then using that to gain access to bank account information. I was the third caller with the exact same issue. $1k taken from bank after PIN, password, etc. changed on bank account online as they impersonate you with your phone number.

Then, of course, since they have your phone number your phone won't work as you no longer have service. I was able to report it with my wife's phone but will be without my number for 3-5 days. I should be able to get a temporary number tomorrow.

Check your verizon account and change your PIN now if you are still in control of your account.
    Just to clarify this in my mind, is this a PIN you use on a daily basis or is this a PIN you set up to prevent cell phone port fraud? I have set up the "prevent port fraud" PIN on both our cell phones and our land line. For the landline AT&T allows me to pick a four-digit PIN as well as set a "flag" on the account, while Consumer Cellular allows up to 20 (!) digits for our cells.

Port fraud is most easily accomplished at local phone kiosks; I understand $80 is usually an adequate bribe amount to the local employees there for them to verify the scammer's identity as you and port your number to a new SIM card.

We switched to Consumer Cellular because I don't think they have any local kiosks. They're still vulnerable through social engineering, though.

User Tag List