Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Austin man behind 3D-printed gun company charged with child sex assault

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I'm also not seeing anything in what's released thus far that indicates a setup. While I guess it's plausible someone could have prompted her to reach out to him via that site (I don't think that's what happened, but I wouldn't put it past some of the organizations involved), everything that happened from that point forward is squarely on his shoulders. And based on how he went about this whole thing, he doesn't strike me as being that bright.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

"My detectives have interviewed and spoke with this victim and in their opinion, if someone mistakes her age, it would be because they think she's younger, not older than 16 years old that she is," said Officer.
    While under Tx penal code ignorance of a victim’s age is not a defense, there is usually zero fanfare surrounding these types of cases. If the girl didn’t tell investigators that she told him his age, the charge is a an almost impossible sell to jurors. I don’t think there’s a setup to that could have possibly made him pull his dick out of his pants, but there are definetly getting some extra licks in.
    Last edited by txdpd; 09-20-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From BBC News:

Austin Police Commander Troy Officer told a press briefing that a counsellor who had spoken to the girl informed police on 22 August that "that a juvenile female under the age of 17 had reported having sexual contact with a 30-year-old male".

The legal age of consent in Texas is 17.

Commander Officer said the girl met Mr Wilson through the sugardaddymeet.com website and had sex with him in a hotel on 15 August.

He said: "We know Mr Wilson frequently travels for business. We don't know why he went to Taiwan.

"But we do know before he left he was informed by a friend of the victim that she had spoken to police and the police were investigating him for having sex with a minor."

Taiwan's National Immigration Agency said Mr Wilson had arrived on 6 September, Agence France-Presse reported, but that there had been no US request for judicial assistance as yet.
    So a friend of the victim told Wilson he was under investigation? And a "counselor" as in... what, a school counselor?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Officer Officer of the Austin Office... say that three times fast.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Just a couple of thoughts.

Sugardaddy.com is an adult fairly mainstream dating website that that links women with generous men. I haven't used it myself, but I'm a single guy who has dabbled in online dating, so I've certainly heard about it. I think it's soft prostitution, and it doesn't appeal to me.

Cody Wilson would have no reason to believe the "victim" was a under age unless she explicitly told him so.

The alleged assault may have been a full-blown violent assault. In which case Wilson is a rapist scumbag.

Or, the alleged assault may have been consensual sex between Cody and a female who presented herself as an adult. A minor cannot legally give consent, so it becomes sexual assault, even if she was an enthusiastic participant.

Or maybe the incident was completely different. Hard to tell at this stage. But I'm not going to throw Cody under the bus without learning more about the case.
    Last edited by Mark D; 09-20-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    From BBC News:

So a friend of the victim told Wilson he was under investigation? And a "counselor" as in... what, a school counselor?
    Victim reported it to a school counselor who in turn reported it to the police as required by law.

As for the tip off, if he likes young girls ts not implausible he was in contact with others via her.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If they deport him (yes Americans get deported from other countries all the time)...
    Yup, saw it a couple times while contracting. We called it "getting pinged" due to being declared a Persona Non Grata. You get kicked out and you can't come back. I don't think you had to return to your home country, though, unless the embassy cancelled your passport. Then you'd have to get travel papers and they are only good to go back to the US. I'd assume the US embassy has already flagged his passport, sticking him in country until he reports to the embassy.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yup, saw it a couple times while contracting. We called it "getting pinged" due to being declared a Persona Non Grata. You get kicked out and you can't come back. I don't think you had to return to your home country, though, unless the embassy cancelled your passport. Then you'd have to get travel papers and they are only good to go back to the US. I'd assume the US embassy has already flagged his passport, sticking him in country until he reports to the embassy.
    PNG is a little different than straight deportations. PNG is only for diplomatic and quasi diplomatic personnel on “official” Passports (non diplomat GOV folks or dependents).

As noted PNG folks are usually still on good terms with their own government and are merely required to leave by a certain date - like the “Closing Time” song. The host country is relying on the diplomat or official to follow their own governments orders to comply with the PNG order.

If someone is PNG’ed but doesn’t leave they can be arrested and forcibly deported.

For U.S. citizen deports, their passport is cancelled and if not in host nation custody, they must check in with the embassy and are issued a “boarding letter” which is only valid to return to the U.S.. If they are in host nation custody the boarding letter is issued to the detaining government.

U.s. citizens returning on boarding letters are a huge red flag to CBP, usually if you are a dirtbag overseas, you were a dirtbag before you left and a majority of these people will be wanted in the U.S. or at least flagged for something.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-20-2018 at 11:39 AM.

"My detectives have interviewed and spoke with this victim and in their opinion, if someone mistakes her age, it would be because they think she's younger, not older than 16 years old that she is," said Officer.
    I will say, trying to guess someone’s age these days based solely on appearance is a nightmare.

When I worked a stop-n-rob and had to ID folks for tobacco, lottery or alcohol I would find plenty of examples where the age on the ID and my impression didn’t click. Saw 18 y/o’s who looked like they were pushing 40, and vice versa.

Irrelevant if the guy did assault her though.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I will say, trying to guess someone’s age these days based solely on appearance is a nightmare.

When I worked a stop-n-rob and had to ID folks for tobacco, lottery or alcohol I would find plenty of examples where the age on the ID and my impression didn’t click. Saw 18 y/o’s who looked like they were pushing 40, and vice versa.

Irrelevant if the guy did assault her though.
    Just because the charge is “sexual assault” does not mean he used physical force to achieve sexual contact with her.

In TX the age of consent is 17 - any sexual contact with a person 16 or younger is legally “sexual assault” in TX because 1) it falls under that section of the Penal Code and 2) the person is legally unable to consent due to their age.

How old the victim looks and what the victim did to conceal their age are not legally relevant by statute.

In the courtroom if there is no evidence he knew her real age and there is evidence she lied about her age those things can sway a jury and lead to either overt or covert jury nullification.

This would be a case where from a defense POV a properly selected jury would be preferable to a bench trial.

User Tag List