Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin man behind 3D-printed gun company charged with child sex assault

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Because he's in Taiwan. From ArsTechnica:

ETA:
    Interesting.

There is no extradition treaty between Taiwan and the U.S. but there is no evidence he has Taiwanese citizenship and there is nothing preventing the Taiwanese from deporting him back to the U.S..

Despite the lack of a formal extradition treaty, there is a law enforcement assistance agreement between the U.S. and Taiwan. A federal UFAP (Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution) warrant and an Interpol Red notice will likely aid the Taiwanese in finding him to be an undesirable alien.

US does not have an extradition treaty with Taiwan, either.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    US does not have an extradition treaty with Taiwan, either.
    That doesn't prevent tem from deporting him back to the U.S..

Given he is not Taiwanese and the nature of the relationship between the U.S. and Taiwan it is certainly possible they will find a way to ship him home.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Given how long Wilson has been rising the ire of the government, I wouldn't be surprised if he's had a go-plan in place for a while. With him being an ararchist hero, he might have help on the run.

Then again, it sounds like the guy was more than a little sloppy picking up a prostitute, so he may not be bright enough to pull off evading an international manhunt.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That doesn't prevent tem from deporting him back to the U.S..

Given he is not Taiwanese and the nature of the relationship between the U.S. and Taiwan it is certainly possible they will find a way to ship him home.
    Sure, but it may prove more difficult, depending on how good his legal team is.

To be fair though, it’s Wednesday evening and they just had the warrant sworn this morning. So even though he ‘skipped’ his return flight, that could simply have been coincidental. Or he could be making sure his legal team and strategy is in place, knowing he’ll be arrested when he returns.

For something like this - would they arrest him at point of entry? If so, I can see changing flight plans to avoid a prolonged period of time in Marshall custody (for instance arriving at LAX vs. arriving in HOU or DFW).

Should have just stuck to being free and easy with other people’s weapons...
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 09-19-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Sure, but it may prove more difficult, depending on how good his legal team is.

To be fair though, it’s Wednesday evening and they just had the warrant sworn this morning. So even though he ‘skipped’ his return flight, that could simply have been coincidental. Or he could be making sure his legal team and strategy is in place, knowing he’ll be arrested when he returns.

For something like this - would they arrest him at point of entry? If so, I can see changing flight plans to avoid a prolonged period of time in Marshall custody (for instance arriving at LAX vs. arriving in HOU or DFW).
    In the US or the EU his legal team might keep him in the country. Other parts of the worlds, like Taiwan... if the Taiwanese Government wants to send him back, he will be sent back.

If they deport him (yes Americans get deported from other countries all the time) he would be arrested by CBP at the first US port of entry and turned over to local authorities there on the Texas state warrant pending extradition.

If the FBI or US Marshall’s obtain a federal UFAP warrant, which is likely, then he would be arrested by CBP and either turned over to USMS at the airport or CBP could present him at his initial appearance and the magistrate would remand him to the USMS pending extradition.

Site Supporter

Cognitive bias at work. There is no reason to believe he got set up.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Cognitive bias at work. There is no reason to believe he got set up.
    Indeed. I know that we like to think of this idiot as “one of us” because he likes guns and flipped the bird to the federal government, beating them at their own game. Well, it turns out he’s also a dirtbag. It reads to me that this case is air tight. No one set him up. This is how these kinds of investigations commonly play out based on my experience.

Wilson met a girl on a website that links young women with older men. According to the detectives who investigated, this girl’s physical appearance actually was consistent with an even younger age. If Wilson didn’t know the girl’s age, it’s likely that he just chose not to ask her directly, thinking that if she never told him she was a child, he’d have an affirmative defense to prosecution, not because he actually thought she was 18. This guy is a dirtbag regardless of whatever good he did for the pro 2nd amendment community. Fuck him.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List