Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: People being duped in Texas

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Texans who are happy with how it's been are definitely complacent. I pay attention to gun control because I still care what happens in California. Most Texans who are into guns just assume that things are great here in TX and are going to stay that way. So they don't invest any effort in watching what happens elsewhere. They don't understand what's going on elsewhere, or even think it's important.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    While I think the Democrats, because the party is leftist, are destructive, racist, and terrible for the founding values of the country, I am no big Republican fan either. I vote for them because they are by far the lesser of two evils, and they can actually win (which does matter in the real world).

Many Republicans are cowards and beyond incompetent at understanding who the threat is and how to spread their message. Republicans should throw caution to the wind and go hardcore for the black and hispanic vote. They will not get the majority soon, but they can chip away at it and in a few years make real in roads into those communities.

Sadly too many on the right are scared of being called racists and hated by the media, and they worry way too much about feeling good.

I love Texas, but my I am not optimistic.

Here’s the thing about polls showing support for gun control, and what came back to bite Dems in the ass back in the 90s:

Polls may show support for stricter gun laws is a mile wide, but it’s less than an inch deep.

That is to say that those 67% may not object to stricter gun laws, but for the vast majority, it’s not an issue they carry into the voting booth.

For most of the other 33% who oppose, it is THE issue driving which way they vote.

Personally, I lean Libertarian.

I thought the world had been saved when Republicans took over the House & Senate in ‘94. Then I discovered there’s little difference. Republicans are only a little bit cleaner than Dems and a tiny bit more conservative overall.

The first National election I voted in was 1980. Sadly, I’ve since discovered Ronald Reagan was a rare anomaly. As soon as he was was out of the Oval Office, Republicans returned to business as usual.

I don’t worry too much about the Bernie bandwagon. Look who he ran against?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Texans who are happy with how it's been are definitely complacent. I pay attention to gun control because I still care what happens in California. Most Texans who are into guns just assume that things are great here in TX and are going to stay that way. So they don't invest any effort in watching what happens elsewhere. They don't understand what's going on elsewhere, or even think it's important.
    Those people are fucking stupid. It can all change overnight. I went from living in a state with literally no gun laws besides the federal ones to one that has a magazine capacity ban, universal background checks, a ban on bump stocks and 21 for long guns in less than a month's time, with a Republican governor no less. Obviously Vermont and Texas are two very different animals, but, prior to the Parkland shooting and a foiled attempt at one of our high schools, there was precisely zero indication that gun control would get anywhere in Vermont. We had a long standing tradition and a gun culture that was arguably as ingrained as the one in Texas and it happened here. Texas isn't the Texas of lore anymore either. It's a borderline purple state.

Site Supporter
    When Mini-14's hit the market, I bought one, went to the range, and received harsh criticism from a NY transplant. He called my rifle a man killer. I pointed out that his .303 British Enfield predated our fathers, had been used to kill men on several continents in several wars, used a mag with a higher capacity than mine, fired a much more powerful cartridge, and was more accurate and deadly at greater distance than my Mini-14. Then I told him he was full of shit, and he never spoke to me again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So for the record, I think that Cruz will win this re-election, but it will be a narrower margin than expected. He should consider himself luck that a good independent didn't throw their hat in the ring, that could cost him.

But I've been saying for half-a-dozen years now, that Texas Republicans need to be aware that their primacy will soon be challenged. If nothing else, I think O'Rourke making a close race against Cruz might have the desired effect of waking folks up. Texas Republicans have been pretty stagnate the last few years and it's time to start grooming new individuals to step up. The fact that about 40% of Texans like Ted Cruz as much as they like walking through cow patties, should tell us something. The Democrats saw the narrow margin of victory for Trump in Texas and are viewing Texas as a new swing state. Of course, I think that's flawed, because Trump had a low margin in Texas, because Cruz was sort-of Texas' choice, costing Trump initial and strong support in the state. None-the-less, continuing down this road will lead to turnover of Texas. The only thing I can hope for is real turnover in places like California which will drive people back.
    How much of the narrow margin will be because Beto is photogenic and charismatic and Ted Cruz is creepy and looks it ?

I voted for him and I don’t really like him personally. He is bright but he reminds me of Richard Nixon.

Beto of course is wholly superficial and selling a lie. Robert O’rourke is about as Mexican as Taco Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How much of the narrow margin will be because Beto is photogenic and charismatic and Ted Cruz is creepy and looks it ?
    I mean that's damn sure part of it. The Republicans should run a charming, charismatic, young man who is disarmingly attractive and makes women ages 18-60 want to jump him. That's a good way to get votes as long as he always doesn't suck. But whoever that guy is, his last name should NOT be Bush, Perry, Abbott, or Cruz - because that'll kill the vote from the <40 crowd.

And then they should run a woman, who has all the same qualities plus big boobs, to get the male votes from 18-100 (because big boobs will always sell).

And while I agree that looks and charisma don't replace actual policy and success in politics, there is an image game and a political game at stake here. Let us remember that the median age of Texas voters is going down. A kind word and a good look goes farther than a kind word alone (not that Cruz has done himself many favors in that department, either).

And yea - I don't know any Mexicans with the last name "O'Rourke"...Which is why my first thought was, "Beto O'Rourke is as Mexican as El Chico's."
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-19-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I mean that's damn sure part of it. The Republicans should run a charming, charismatic, young man who is disarmingly attractive and makes women ages 18-60 want to jump him. That's a good way to get votes as long as he always doesn't suck. But whoever that guy is, his last name should NOT be Bush, Perry, Abbott, or Cruz - because that'll kill the vote from the <40 crowd.

And then they should run a woman, who has all the same qualities plus big boobs, to get the male votes from 18-100 (because big boobs will always sell).

And while I agree that looks and charisma don't replace actual policy and success in politics, there is an image game and a political game at stake here. Let us remember that the median age of Texas voters is going down. A kind word and a good look goes farther than a kind word alone (not that Cruz has done himself many favors in that department, either).

And yea - I don't know any Mexicans with the last name "O'Rourke"...Which is why my first thought was, "Beto O'Rourke is as Mexican as El Chico's."
    It’s not even the name. There are Mexicans with non “Mexican” names. You can’t fake the funk. It’s the guy himself. He is white bread.

Ted Cruz is what he is, whatever that might be.

Site Supporter
    Rob's ideal male candidate should also be a gay guy who rides a big white stallion. He would still get all the women votes plus 100% of Austin. Hell. I'd vote for him myself but would probably lie about it.

Beto is Really Robert Francis O'Rourke.

I lived in El Paso for years and the story around town, was, he changed his name legally so he would sound MORE MEXICAN. He is another Democrat opportunist.

Fuck him he is a Douche I did not like him then, don't like him now.

Dude is white bread as they get, I don't know many Columbia Grads from ElPaso but he sure is trying to look like a Juarez Mule

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beto_O%27Rourke
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 09-20-2018 at 10:30 PM.

User Tag List