Thread: Gabe White - OKC 9/15-16

Gabe White - OKC 9/15-16

Spent this past weekend attending Gabe White’s Pistol Shooting Solutions course at the OKC Gun Club near Arcadia, Oklahoma. You can check out GabeÂ’s website at www.gabewhitetraining.com.

I have trained with some of the best trainers in the country, most of which come from a military or civilian law enforcement background. Gabe has neither, and he readily admits it. I probably wouldn't have thought twice about not attending his course but for the recommendation from a couple shooting buddies of mine whose opinion I highly value. There seems to be a lot of discussion among the shooting world about who makes the best trainers, military or police, but there are a few who simply have a shooting background that stand out. Gabe White is one of those fellows.

He’s an unassuming fellow who could easily pass for your college economics professor. He even has a remarkable resemblance to the Dean of my alma mater law school. But don't let his look fool you. He's a remarkable shooter, but even more impressive, he's a remarkable instructor. IDPA and IPSC matches are full of some very good shooters, very few of which can teach. Gabe has the ability to make good shooters better, a lot better.

His Pistol Shooting Solutions is not a beginner class and you need to have a good, solid understanding of the fundamentals of handgun shooting. He doesn't spend a lot time discussing the draw, for instance, but he does cover several tricks that he's picked up that will help you improve your drawstroke. Our class was filled with some very good shooters, the kind of which will push you to improve your skills. Gabe has several man-vs-man drills where shooters compete against each other. Getting a dozen or so Alpha males together to shoot against each other can provide some pretty powerful motivation to improve.

I'm not going to go into the minutiae of the entire 2 days, but I will say you will leave a much better shooter. His basic course outline (which he has written and follows it carefully) takes a shooter on a journey starting with some basic, static shooting drills, to shooting from a flat out sprint! He will lecture briefly on each drill, then demonstrate it, then the class will shoot it. Gabe demonstrates every drill and does so at his so-called “Turbo” level. Gabe gives out series of little pins at the completion of his course depending on the skill level that the student demonstrates on a series of common drills. The lowest level is the “Dark” pin, next is the “Light" pin and finally there is the “Turbo” pin. No shooters in my class earned the Turbo pin. A few earned the Light pin, some earned the Dark pin and a couple didn't earn any pin at all. I will tell you that many acclaimed shooters would have a hard time earning any pin at all, and you'll have to shoot at Grand Master level to earn a Turbo Pin. By the way, Gabe demonstrated and shot all the drills at the Turbo pin level.

Gabe’s style of teaching is very easy to learn by. He's obviously very intelligent and articulate (he even articulates without foul language!) and discusses each topic in a fluid manner that leads easily from one point the next. He's also seems to be of unlimited energy. Even during our breaks he's either discussing a topic, answering questions or setting up the range for the next iteration of drills.

He's is the consummate professional, as I mentioned earlier, he speaks without foul language (unless he's quoting someone else), meticulously follows the course outline, which follows exactly the advertised curriculum, doesn't embellish his background and gives a lot of one-on-one attention to students. As I mentioned earlier, this course was full of some very “switched-on” shooters. Every student in the course improved during the course of the 2 days of instruction. There were several students in the class that were repeat attendees of Gabe’s courses.

This was not a tactics course, although we worked some barricade drills and discussed the use of barricades as it related to some real world incidents; nor was this a basic handgun course, you need to be well grounded in the basic fundamentals of handgun shooting. This was a pretty much a pure shooting course. Most drills were shot from 5-15 yards with the majority of the shooting done at 7 yards. We shot mostly at IPSC cardboard targets and a little steel. Targets were taped often and replaced as needed. The challenging part of the course was the speed standards and the reduced head zone of the target. Getting hits at 7 yards isn't that hard when you have unlimited time to do so; but, inject a shot timer, with shortened time limits, and even good shooters will start experiencing problems.

His man-on-man drills were what he called “Asymmetrical” or “Parallel Universe” contests. 2 different stages were set up. They were each were different from the other, but designed in such a way to be accomplished in nearly the same time. A couple of them needed some tweaking, but eventually, it worked out. These were a lot of fun and each one related back to an earlier drill or drills. Students ran these against each other several times, with each student running switching back and forth between each stage.

As I said earlier, this wasnÂ’t a tactics course, but when you think about it, good tactics demands that you draw your pistol and get the hits as fast as possible. Whether this is done in real life shootings, combat or gun games, the desired end result is the same. When you finish Pistol Shooting Solutions, youÂ’ll be better prepared to either win the gunfight, or win the match.

You can find Gabe’s accomplishments at his website, and his standards for his pin awards as well. He also tracks his pin awards by class, so you can see just how many pins get awarded. I believe he limits his class size to 14; we had 13 in the OKC course. If you get a chance to train with Gabe, you need to get signed up. One more thing, I hope Gabe can find time to do a little shopping when he gets home. The pants he wore (same pants on both days) were looking a little worn and threadbare.
    Last edited by Nick710; 09-19-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Great job on the AAR.

Did you have a favorite thing? I have to say Gabe's take on shooting on the move was my favorite and all the drills and man vs man contests that grew out of it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If he was wearing the same Vertx pants I last saw him in a few years ago, they were shot then, and looked like hand me downs from a larger brother. At this point in his career as a professional instructor, I think he needs a tutorial with Craig Douglas to learn about bespoke dresssing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Nick,

It was great training with you this last weekend. Thanks so much for coming to class and working so hard, and congratulations on your accomplishments! You shot very well. And MANY thanks for taking the time to write this wonderful report! I deeply appreciate it. The Asymmetric/Parallel Universe drills are an expansion of the previously-existing person vs. person element in the class. I appreciated everyone's patience as the kinks got worked out, and I think they'll run even more smoothly in the future. I think they are going to be a significant additional dimension to the class and will have a lot of value as counterparts to the technical skills blocks and testing. I loved how apparent the central lesson of those drills was - if you just shoot hits (under pressure) and don't do anything else, you will probably win.

I'm so habitual that I have been using the same couple of shirts and pairs of pants as my teaching clothes for the last couple of years and they have been all around the country getting thrashed - you're right, it is time to get out a couple of new pairs of pants.

Thanks again Nick!

Gabe
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Great job on the AAR.

Did you have a favorite thing? I have to say Gabe's take on shooting on the move was my favorite and all the drills and man vs man contests that grew out of it.
    I'm having a hard time coming up with a favorite aspect of Gabe's course. It was all good. The "Parallel Universe" drills were fun, yet each one was designed to focus on certain drills we had just completed. Running them man against man make you hump up, but you soon realized that simply not missing any shots was the key to winning.
    Last edited by Nick710; 09-19-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Nice write up. I hope Gabe decides to make it down to the DFW area sometime, will defiantly take his course. Part of the attraction for me is that Gabe is not the typical tactical type instructor. I do enjoy those classes quite a bit but I am looking for more competition/shooting w/ speed like Gabe seems to teach. I seem to come out of those classes running the gun significantly better and my improvements are very noticeable right away.

User Tag List