Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenicor AIWB

My post has zero to do with the present conversation. Sorry for the thread drift but I just wanted to give another thumbs up for their customer service. I've ordered several holsters from them and had two interactions with their customer service once to get things figured out and another for return so I could order something else that would fit me better and they are a class act. They took the time and responded with photos and answered my questions in less than 24hrs. I just wanted to throw that out there. Thanks Tenicor.

Has anyone tried a G17 in the Sagax Lux yet? I'm sure it's not ideal, but it looks possible.

The end cut looks like a Velo, I’m using one of the new Velos cut for a Glock 26 with a 17 on occasion. The muzzle isn’t covered in the holster. The back side is Glock 19 length. It works fine. I’d imagine looking at the pictures that it would work ok on that holster too.

Jason

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by krax View Post
    Has anyone tried a G17 in the Sagax Lux yet? I'm sure it's not ideal, but it looks possible.
    Works fine other than the muzzle sticking out slightly. The body contour keeps the muzzle pressed out away from the body a bit but you could get burned if the gun was hot and you say down.

Thanks fellas.

I’m right-handed and usually carry a G19, but bought a left-handed v3 G17 model (for the extra length) when they were on sale. I’m looking to be prepared for possible surgery on my right wrist.

So far I’ve only tried it dry fire but it’s comfortable and looks to conceal well. It’s a little hard to make a full comparison because it already feels weird to have the gun on the opposite side.

I did find that with any of my normal clothes (34” waist) and the holster in the intended position at the hip crease, the clip on the trigger guard flange is right on top of a belt loop. I removed that clip. That solved the problem and it’s much easier to get the holster on and off. I need to see about some shorter screws to get rid of the clip spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post

cons
    -the type of retention seemed unusual to me. rather than a "click in place" sensation there was simply stiff resistance in and out of the holster. i'm not saying this is good or bad, I just don't care for it.
    I noticed this with a Gen 2 G17 (and really had to crank the screws down to get enough retention). With a Gen 4 G19 or 26, the feel was more of a traditional click. I’ll let someone else weigh in on dimensional differences.

Comments on Tenicor / VELO Gen 4

This is not a review, but rather some early observations on the company and product that is Tenicor.

I placed my online order for a Gen 4 VELO midafternoon on the Saturday before Labor Day. Soon thereafter I got a order confirmation and “shipping notification” emails. “Yeah”, I says to myself, “Them Tenicor jokers just printed a shipping label. It ain’t shipped. I won’t see this thing until next weekend.” Imagine my surprise, and delight, when I get a notification on the Tuesday after Labor Day, that the holster had been delivered to my house. What sort of sorcery is this?!? Mind you, Tenicor is based in, what? Washington state? I am in coastal Alabama. And this was their standard delivery. Huh.

Honestly, I wouldn’t even comment on something like the shipping, but I think perhaps this is just an indicator that Tenicor isn’t screwing around.

I have been watching Tenicor for a while and follow them on IG. The previous version of the VELO with the molded-in wedge was a hard pass for me. That thing had “Hot Spot” written all over it - to my eye. Never actually handled one. But this body contour business on the Gen 4 made me take a hard look. Not a hard corner anywhere near where it will contact the person wearing it. It looked like it would negate any sort of hot spot or pressure point. But it did look maybe a little bulky. Hmmmm...

I ordered the VELO to fit a G19. I carry a 19X, G26 with KKM comp (so G17 OAL), and rarely nowadays, a G34. Ultimately I went with a length to only cover the 19 length slide, primarily to obtain the max level of comfort. I think this was a good call. I am well acquainted with the potential pitfalls of a slide poking out the bottom of a holster - especially when worn AIWB, but I was willing to deal with those in exchange for a more comfortable ride. My assessment in terms of comfort is that the Gen 4 VELO is *very* comfortable. To the point of thinking that no holster worn AIWB could be any more comfortable. It’s that good. I think I cannot overstate how comfortable this thing is. To date, I have muddled along and managed to tolerate AIWB because I recognize the benefits that attach to that mode of carry. And it hasn’t been bad - it just hasn’t been *this* good.

My experience with AIWB holsters is admittedly a little limited. I carried in an Eidolon for at least two years - perhaps as many as four. Switched to a G34 length JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 this past January. I did not find the Eidolon particularly problematic in any regard, but I guess I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with JMCK. The WC 2.0 has been good (after I ditched the factory wedge for a 1” thick piece of foam). I got the WC 2.0 with the Discreet Carry Clips. The WC 2.0 was a definite upgrade from the Eidolon. In fairness to JMCK while I rave about the comfort of the VELO; the extra inch on the JMCK (built for a 19X with KKM comp so it is a tiny bit longer than a normal G34 length) created most of any comfort issues I have had with that holster. I know people say longer doesn’t matter or I even better (wait, what?); but that has not been my experience.

A previous poster mentioned that the retention on the VELO was a little janky, in that the pistol did not click into place. On both a Gen 4 26 and a 19X, I am getting the click on my VELO. I haven’t messed with the retention at all since I took it out of the package. It is very secure. In fact, I may back it off a little.

As good as the comfort is on the VELO, the concealment, right now, is just okay. But there are a couple of caveats to this. I ordered both the snap loops and the fixed loops. Surprise - both print through a t-shirt, especially when compared to the DC clips. Too, I have the holster riding at the highest of three settings. So this is pretty much the worst-case scenario for concealment. What I need to do is play around with the height and see of that helps. Also need to order the stinking clips from Tenicor. I think they use a proprietary cut for the fasteners so I can’t just rob the ones off the JMCK. Not to crazy about the special clips, but I understand why they use what they use. I strongly suspect that the concealment part of the equation will improve once I get this thing dialed in. And the concealment isn’t horrible now, but it is not as good as with the JMCK.

In listening to the Tenicor IG posts and looking at this holster, what you have is a designer who sweated *every tiny detail* to optimize every aspect of the holster possible. That is what *I* see when I look at this thing. And I think it works.

My bottom line is that my first impression of the Gen 4 VELO is very favorable. I need a lot more drawstrokes and just plain time living with this thing to completely validate that, but so far, so good. The JMCK will stay in the line-up for when I need max concealment and/or when the G34 comes into play. I will try to remember to update at some point and note any improvements or deficiencies that are revealed as time goes on.

I have one of the new Gen 4 Velos for a G19, with the DCC clips. I've been wearing it daily for about a month now. The kydex design, at least, is great.

I feel very dumb asking this, but is there a trick to putting the holster on the belt (I use a Volund G-Hook)? To start, the clips are very tight, so it is hard to keep them both wide open at once (I use my index and middle finger). The main problem is that the end of the clip near the retention adjustment parts seems to grab on to the waistband of my jeans, pushing them down. It's very difficult to work the waist back up. No joke, it took me 10 minutes to put the holster on this morning; I had to resort to feeding the belt through the clips.

I've heard such good things about the DCC clips that I figure the error must be on my end. Any advice? Worst case, I'll order up some PTD loops (which I like on my DSG and JMCK holsters).

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post

I feel very dumb asking this, but is there a trick to putting the holster on the belt (I use a Volund G-Hook)? To start, the clips are very tight, so it is hard to keep them both wide open at once (I use my index and middle finger). The main problem is that the end of the clip near the retention adjustment parts seems to grab on to the waistband of my jeans, pushing them down. It's very difficult to work the waist back up. No joke, it took me 10 minutes to put the holster on this morning; I had to resort to feeding the belt through the clips.
    I had exactly the same problem, although I chalked it up partly to being a righty putting on a lefty holster.

I ended up taking off the clip by the trigger guard because my belt loops were in the way anyway. That made it a lot easier.

I never spent much more time on it, though. The holster was a contingency plan for surgery on my dominant hand. Mercifully, that doesn’t seem likely any more.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    I have one of the new Gen 4 Velos for a G19, with the DCC clips. I've been wearing it daily for about a month now. The kydex design, at least, is great.

I've heard such good things about the DCC clips that I figure the error must be on my end. Any advice? Worst case, I'll order up some PTD loops (which I like on my DSG and JMCK holsters).
    I've been using a Velo for about a year and I have THE EXACT SAME THING with those infernal clips. The clips are both a blessing and a curse for me. I saw a video maybe on Tenicor's Instagram showing how to do it - which is exactly what you said you're doing. I too struggle with the bottom of the back clip catching my pants. What I've done that has made it little better is to get the clips open with the 2 fingers but instead of going straight down - I "reverse cant" the holster and get the back clip in first at a "backward angle" then the front clip.

Another way that works but doesn't look as cool is to get the holster inside the pants making sure the bottom of the rear clip is inside the pants and pull open the rear clip getting it partially on the belt then do the front clip - then push them both down the rest of the way until they click on.

User Tag List