Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: As of 09/30, I am retired.

BOY, have we got a job for you

I live in AZ, Peoria to be exact. The police here are loosing officers left and right. They are actually advertising for replacements. You know of it goes, SUN AND FUN IN SUNNY AZ. No seriously they are losing their young officers to other states---higher pay---better advancement opportunities. Property crime is raising as the amount of illegals keeps going up. It is a good police dept, nice guys, I work security in my retirement complex so I get to see them more lately than I did before, HA HA

What scares me is the type of officer that applying for the job now. Our house in last 12 yrs has had two attempted break ins. 1st one the dog got, 122lb lab-we used to own a farm in MN, deer hunters, you get the picture, the 2nd one got into the back az room and OPENED THE REAR DOOR TO LET HIS PARTNER IN, SECURITY SYSTEM RIGGED ON THAT DOOR, so they boggied out. Both times the officers were GREAT GUYS. Now, two months ago, I am out with the dog at night. I see an emergency front light blinking--Homes equipped with them for medical emergencies, fire dept response, we are OLD BUGGERS HERE-- so I call 911, what we are taught to do, I wait and wait, no response, get a phn call back, sergeant what's his face, he says WHAT IS THE EMERGENCY, I tell him about the light blinking that is all I know. He says WELL, IF YOU CANT TELL ME THE EXACT EMERGENCY, WE WILL NOT RESPOND!!!!! I told him in as nice of a way that I could, I am 72 yrs old I will not go into a dark house and either fall over a dying body or exchange gun fire with a criminal, THAT IS YOUR JOB. In my house that would be a different story. I went home got the home number off of my list, called the home and he told me sorry for the light, I must have hit it by mistake before going to bed, THANKS. 5 Mins later I get a call from Sargant what's his face and he says that he had 2nd thoughts and was at the house now and the light was not blinking now, all was dark. Told him about me calling, he said ok and hung up.

Needless to say the homeowners association has a meeting scheduled with the NEW chief of police scheduled for next week

I have 3 years till I get my 20 and I'm fully locked into my pension. Started my family pretty late in the game and I'll probably have 40 years on before I can retire. I just hope my health can hold out that long. Jealous.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I have 3 years till I get my 20 and I'm fully locked into my pension. Started my family pretty late in the game and I'll probably have 40 years on before I can retire. I just hope my health can hold out that long. Jealous.

no, I AM JEALOUS. Talked to a Peoria Officer that I know while at Walmart

NEW chief
    NEW people under him
    They are thinking of stopping more of the protection calls. Chief says there is too much chance of lawsuits going into even an open house
    They are thinking that WE should start our own posse OR have patrols out at night, WE purchase the equipment needed. 70 to 80 yr old men, RIGHT!!
    SUMATION: The new chief is a LIBERAL, WHO WANTS TO SAVE MONEY AND LOOK GOOD ON PAPER, THERE IS ALWAY ANOTHER PROMOTION AHEAD

More older officer's are quitting, he said. Came home told the wife what I heard, talked ALOT, dog is 10yrs old now, slowing down, not a good traveler BUT while I am still healthy & the wife is also, we BOTH said that we had thoughts about staying here & we BOTH decided that the future does not look good here for OLD PEOPLE like us sooo! we are going back to MINN ( keep a low profile-move at least 40 miles from the twin cities} WISC ( a lot of open land yet, rural}or SOUTH DAKOTA { super low retirement taxs & living} in the spring.
    After being here for 12 yrs we think we can get what we pd for the house, THANKS TO OBAMMA SCREWING UP THE ECONOMY & TRUMP GETTING IT BACK AGAIN FINALLY, we would rather deal with snow than get shot when one of our blessed ILLEGALS breaks into our home & with LESS protection, that is a coming event, remember two attempted break ins already, yard furniture theft. Worked with my hands and farmed for 35 yrs up north & can retire up there without the farming, even with the snow, will miss the target shooting down here. I hate to think of this state being overrun with ILLEGALS but I and my Wife can see the writing on the wall, was a RED state, went to a PURPLE state and probably in 6 yrs it will be a blue state. Kind of made us sad to think that we thought this was the last home. But as long as you have your family and your health, you can go anywhere you need to go, & learn to make it work, if you have to have a mortgage again, so be it.

You ever think why at least 1 to 3 people get killed down here every day just about, WE KNOW!!!!!!!. keep your HEAD LOW

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted about Google Adsense and their seemingly contrived policy violations -- not because I don't get them anymore, I do. Daily. We went from one or two every month or so, to around a dozen a day for the last couple of months (I figure we'll be booted from their advertising platform within a month or two). I rarely even look at the violations any more. Usually it's violations of their "weapons" policy because we dare to discuss guns and knives and self defense.

But today I looked and I saw something different -- this thread was reported for "Sexual Content":

I guess the thought of retirement is giving people boners.

To the OP, congratulations!

To Google (and the assholes trolling PF for content to report), go fuck yourself. Vigorously.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    It's been a while since I've posted about Google Adsense and their seemingly contrived policy violations -- not because I don't get them anymore, I do. Daily. We went from one or two every month or so, to around a dozen a day for the last couple of months (I figure we'll be booted from their advertising platform within a month or two). I rarely even look at the violations any more. Usually it's violations of their "weapons" policy because we dare to discuss guns and knives and self defense.

But today I looked and I saw something different -- this thread was reported for "Sexual Content":

I guess the thought of retirement is giving people boners.

To the OP, congratulations!

To Google (and the assholes trolling PF for content to report), go fuck yourself. Vigorously.
    Don’t kink shame.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    28 years as a Birmingham cop.

I am burning vacation time and handling out processing.

It is...very strange. When I left the other night it occurred to me that I'll never see this place at night again. Hell, I may never set foot in the city again.

Lot's of mixed feelings. I'm trying to concentrate on relief.

It kinda feels like jumping off a cliff, though.
    Yes, I understand the jumping-from-a-cliff part. I found the landing, however, to be nicely soft. It has been nearly nine months since my final patrol shift, and almost eight months since handing-in the badge, and I do not miss The Job. I did not even jump through the final administrative hoop to retain my badge. It is just a piece of metal, with two words and “4224” on the front. They can keep it. I feel deeply honored to have served, for 34 years, but the service is done, and “honorably retired” sounds really good, now.

The one minor annoyance is having to be careful walking into/onto places, while armed, where LEOSA may not apply. After one-third of a century of being able to carry in most such places, it is easy to forget I am carrying.

Reported for sexual content. lol

To the OP.......tomorrow is the big day, is it not?

I'll be there in five if I live long enough. Just. Can't. Wait. I've threatened to put all my department issued gear in their car and impound it so I don't even have to drive all that stuff back to HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    28 years as a Birmingham cop.

I am burning vacation time and handling out processing.

It is...very strange. When I left the other night it occurred to me that I'll never see this place at night again. Hell, I may never set foot in the city again.

Lot's of mixed feelings. I'm trying to concentrate on relief.

It kinda feels like jumping off a cliff, though.
    Respect, congrats, and Thank You!.

retirement

I walked out a few months back with 39 years, my entire adult life, at the Department. I left proud of my record and on the exact day it was planned over a year ago. I should have gone a year earlier. It was the strangest feeling walking out onto the lot. I was worried about it and it has been an adjustment, but much more pleasant and easy than I thought. One thing that makes it is easier is...let's face it, many things in LE are just BAD these days. REALLY bad in some ways. I want to say so much more, but will leave it at that.
    I'm happier and healthier than I have been in many years. My relationship with my wife is better than ever. People tell me that I look healthier. They ask me what I do with my time, and I say "Any damn thing I want." I've just now come up with a "system" of making me feel like I am actually accomplishing something daily BUT does not add a bit of stress. Be happy and be at peace, this what you have worked for and you will enjoy it. Find a "mission" if you want, everyone told me to find one or I'd die. Mine is making myself happy, and I'm digging it. Guns I have not seen in years are being seen and shot and cleaned, it's part of the mission! All the "stuff" that needed to get done around the house are getting done-at my pace-part of the mission.
    Congratulations, be well and happy. The life left behind may be of great value, but it is is not all there is to life.

CWM11B
    Congrats and welcome to the has been club! I'm coming up on one year retired, still do some instruction for a small agency as a volunteer. The only thing I miss is free ammo. I finally feel like I've decompressed, and am looking for work to keep occupied. Take some time and enjoy.

User Tag List