Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice from Ron Avery

Advice from Ron Avery

At a Saturday night lecture at a recent TPC class, Ron Avery made a suggestion that totally clicked for me. What he said, was when you are shooting, to treat the one target you are shooting as if it was the entire match. For the moment you address that target, forget about everything else. Execute the reactive shooting cycle on that target without regard to time, the next target, the next stage, the last stage or anything else competing for your attention. Sure seems to help me keep my attention on where it needs to be at that moment. When I finished the match using this technique on Sunday, I was clueless to my times, and those of my squad mates, but the result turned out quite well. Tried the same method in practice today, also with a good result.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

^^ It’s the same mental trick as calling your shots, or seeing your sights on every target, or center the dot - call the shot. Conscious mind has one job, subconcious takes care of everything else. Thanks Steve Anderson.

Good stuff GJM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I was totally thinking "match mode"' too reading GJM's comments. No try, rush, hurry.

I have been watching the hell out of some TPC you tube videos online. Ron Avery is unbelievably brilliant, a freakin stud in the study of shooting. A year or 6 months ago, I couldn't have even understood many of the things I've been watching him say - but his grasp of understanding and analogies of what is happening while shooting is quite superb.

I can't wait to get out there to a class someday, hopefully sooner than later.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Excellent post and point! Awareness without attachment.

I hope I am not out of line but it sounds very Brain Enos-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    ^^ It’s the same mental trick as calling your shots, or seeing your sights on every target, or center the dot - call the shot. Conscious mind has one job, subconcious takes care of everything else. Thanks Steve Anderson.

Good stuff GJM.
    These things can be very Enos-ish, in how different people interpret things differently, but I took Ron’s advice very different from “see your sights on every target.” Seeing your sights on every target implies to me many targets, many sight pictures, and a whole stage. Ron’s advice was different to me in that it is focused on only one target, the one you are shooting at that moment. The ones you already shot are behind you, the targets ahead not your concern now, just an intense focus on the one you at shooting now.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    These things can be very Enos-ish, in how different people interpret things differently, but I took Ron’s advice very different from “see your sights on every target.” Seeing your sights on every target implies to me many targets, many sight pictures, and a whole stage. Ron’s advice was different to me in that it is focused on only one target, the one you are shooting at that moment. The ones you already shot are behind you, the targets ahead not your concern now, just an intense focus on the one you at shooting now.
    Your thoughts above are very much the same as what I took Steve Anderson to be saying. My mental mantra before I take my hand off the gun and just before “Are you ready” is, “call every shot”. If I do that (which I am still working on and learning), I take care to see what I need to see on each target before I move to the next. If I see something funky, I make the shot up. So it’s very much the same as what you describe. It feels super slow when you do it right, but it’s not. The value of shooting in this way is consistency and for me, a metnally relaxing way to shoot a match.

One thing I would caution you on is to limit the amount of training time you do in the mode you describe above. It’s not the fastest way to train, and though you need to practice and develop it extensively, I don’t think it really leads to huge improvements in speed. I think it’s best used in a match setting.

Excellent thread as usual. The mental game is huge if one can be disciplined enough to practice and execute the techniques.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    One thing I would caution you on is to limit the amount of training time you do in the mode you describe above. It’s not the fastest way to train, and though you need to practice and develop it extensively, I don’t think it really leads to huge improvements in speed. I think it’s best used in a match setting.
    Can you elaborate on this thought. What I took away from Ron’s suggestion had everything to do with attention, but not speed.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    At a Saturday night lecture at a recent TPC class, Ron Avery made a suggestion that totally clicked for me. What he said, was when you are shooting, to treat the one target you are shooting as if it was the entire match. For the moment you address that target, forget about everything else. Execute the reactive shooting cycle on that target without regard to time, the next target, the next stage, the last stage or anything else competing for your attention. Sure seems to help me keep my attention on where it needs to be at that moment. When I finished the match using this technique on Sunday, I was clueless to my times, and those of my squad mates, but the result turned out quite well. Tried the same method in practice today, also with a good result.
    I think that is GOLD and within that target, at the micro level it's each shot. I have a problem shooting all 2, 3, or 6 shots specified for "that target" vs sinking each individual. Basically applying that same concept to each shot. Very quickly of course. This is quite important in hunting and tactical shooting as well of course. Years ago it was the bane of my pass shooting at ducks. I had 3 in the gun, I came up to shoot 3, vs ONE.
    Last edited by JHC; 09-19-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I have been watching the hell out of some TPC you tube videos online. Ron Avery is unbelievably brilliant, a freakin stud in the study of shooting.

I'd really like to take a class from him. I picked up quite a bit just watching him online as well. Plus he just seems like a really laid back and cool guy.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Sporting Clays has a similar mindset for many successful competitors - there are 100 targets in a round but approach every single clay target as a match to itself. I knew a world class clays shooter who got so upset when he missed a clay that it would negatively impact his whole match - he never reached his potential.

User Tag List