Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Any departments issuing/allowing flip up magnifiers on patrol rifles?

I just put a Burris MTAC 1x4 scope on my patrol rifle. It has the illuminated Ballistic CQ reticle in it. The Burris 1.5x6 is also approved along with some of the Vortex scopes.

My rear iron sights are off the rifle now. My older eyes really like this system.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I allow them, and I have whatever magnifier @karmapolice sent me the link to from LaRue. That's our SOP on the matter. You can print this post.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    We can have magifiers (LPVs are approved case by case) as long as they are below 5x(anything over 5x is considered a precision rifle and needs a precision rifle qual here in TX). Aside from weight I see no real downsides to it and it definitely adds to the capabilities of the average patrol guy.

The above regarding over/under 5x is per TCOLE regulations.

Most weapons at my agency are personally owned, except for the team guys. Issued shotguns are cheap 870 Expess, which we cannot modify, so I qualify with my personal one. No regulations on optics other than above.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

We have a list of approved accessories. The Aimpoint 3x is on there. The 6x isn't but I suspect that reflects a lag in list updates.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

We don't have a policy on it, yet. But I think I'm in the same area as you, BehindBlueIs. Our new firearms instructor doesn't like any sort of magnifier on our rifles even though we work areas with over 100 yards of open ground and long hallways... We were assisting on a perimeter one night and I would have loved to have one. It's on the list for my purchase. I think it's idiotic to not allow them. Target ID and more precision. We qual out to 100 yards for the patrol rifle course. That' s a distance that is hard to properly ID a target without a LPVO or magnifier.

My new setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I just put a Burris MTAC 1x4 scope on my patrol rifle. It has the illuminated Ballistic CQ reticle in it. The Burris 1.5x6 is also approved along with some of the Vortex scopes.

My rear iron sights are off the rifle now. My older eyes really like this system.
    I've thought of using a 1-4X MTAC on my AR, and a 1.5-6X on a .308 bolt gun with the same reticle.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

We allow them, we also allow LPVOs. Our only requirement if we run any optic is having flip up or fixed irons on the gun and we have to qual with both irons and the optic setup. Not sure if anyone is running one though. I know we have one Elcan, and one guy running a burris LPVO that has had previous issues holding zero in the past. I'll be switching to my Vortex Razor come next day I can qual on it but am currently running a Aimpoint PRO.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    We allow them, we also allow LPVOs. Our only requirement if we run any optic is having flip up or fixed irons on the gun and we have to qual with both irons and the optic setup. Not sure if anyone is running one though. I know we have one Elcan, and one guy running a burris LPVO that has had previous issues holding zero in the past. I'll be switching to my Vortex Razor come next day I can qual on it but am currently running a Aimpoint PRO.
    I feel like the Razor could be one of the better solutions to this issue. How do you like it compared to aimpoint with or without a magnifier?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    I feel like the Razor could be one of the better solutions to this issue. How do you like it compared to aimpoint with or without a magnifier?
    The Razor-E is just about the be all end all optic for me except for weight and to get the same quality and brightness at less weight you have to go up to a Kahles IMO.

Razor-E = 21oz plus mount (average around 8oz)
    Kahles K16i = 17oz plus mount
    Aimpoint Pro 11.6oz + 3x Magnifier (7.1oz plus mount)

So the Razor ends up being about 4oz heavier which isn't a lot but enough to tell a balance difference IMO.

That being said I'll take the very slight balance difference compared to a dot/magnifier and gain the extra magnification and being able to go anywhere between 1-6x instead of being limited to 1x OR 3x. On a short gun I'd argue its probably worth it to spend a little extra for a Kahles and save the weight but that's just me and I know plenty run the Razor just fine on all lengths of guns with any number of other accessories. I also jumped on board with a high (1.93") mount for my razor and I have to say I prefer that even without running a laser. I find its much comfier in a regular day of shooting but also find it helps when running the AR while wearing an external vest carrier as well.
    Last edited by cmbarny2; 11-01-2018 at 10:41 PM.

User Tag List