Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any departments issuing/allowing flip up magnifiers on patrol rifles?

No optics on patrol rifles period here.

Regards.

We are not issued magnifiers but are authorized to use them on personal rifles provided they do not exceed 4x. Department patrol rifles are equipped with Aimpoint Comp M3s or PROs with no magnifier. There are a few authorized LPVs and a plethora of red dots.

I'll send you more in a PM.

Interesting, thanks

My department allows the use of magnified optics provided they use a QD and the rifle is also equipped with irons. Lots of guys talk about wanting a magnifier, but out of the few hundred rifles in the field, I can’t think of anyone that uses one. I’m one of a couple that uses a LPVO. Everyone else is irons or RDS.

We’ve authorized some variable power scopes (1x4 and 1x6) for patrol. I need to look at one set up to see how the iron sights are mounted. I’ve seen an Aimpoint magnifier on a SWAT rifle but I’m not sure if they’re authorized for patrol.

ETA Aimpoints and Trijicon MROs are authorized red dots.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 09-20-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

We can have magifiers (LPVs are approved case by case) as long as they are below 5x(anything over 5x is considered a precision rifle and needs a precision rifle qual here in TX). Aside from weight I see no real downsides to it and it definitely adds to the capabilities of the average patrol guy.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 09-20-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    No optics on patrol rifles period here.

Regards.

Yeah, that's the answer I got. When I asked why (aging eyes and all...), was no, period. No discussion.

For those in agencies with "No Optics" policies or stances, what is being done about it? Are your employee associations taking it on? If not, why not? It is a workplace / officer safety issue and a public safety issue.

There are plenty of agencies with issued or personally owned weapons programs that allow optics, even some really big west coast agencies. So the liability card should not apply.

Quality optics have proven to hold up in general Mil usage (never mind the cool kids) over the last seventeen years now. Seventeen. That ought to shoot down the reliability claim.

I realize I have a different perspective on it as we have had patrol rifles since '93, we started using Aimpoints & Trij reflex sights in '99, and Uncle Scotty supplied info getting us into low variable power optics back in '03. We're 250 full time cops.

Our PD issued rifles can only have PD issued equipment on them. At the time the policy came out I had my personal Comp M5 and other things like a light on my PD issued rifle. After debating the issue for about 2 days I gave back my rifle and brought my own (the new policy allowed for personal rifles and shotguns). My Captains comment when I returned it was “you don’t need a red-dot...”. It has taken me 26 years to learn to pick my battles and this one wasn’t going to be won.

Since taking over as Training Coordinator in January I have added lights and Larue A2 rear sights (we were using Magpul BUIS as a permanent sight) to each PD issued rifle. I don’t see my Chief buying dozens of Aimpoint PROs but I’m going to request some in next years budget. It’ll probably be easier to get a few at a time.

If you participate in our personal weapon program you can put a number of optics on them as well as a LVPO up to 6X. Magnifiers aren’t specifically mentioned either way but by allowing LVPO’S I’d say you can use them. Grizzly and I are the armorers and that part of policy, which we wrote and submitted to the chief for approval, dictates we sign off on it and unless it’s some POS it’d likely get signed off on.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 09-22-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    For those in agencies with "No Optics" policies or stances, what is being done about it? Are your employee associations taking it on? If not, why not? It is a workplace / officer safety issue and a public safety issue.
    Nothing is being done about it.

It's a combination of an administration that fails to see the benefit of optics, the expense of decking out rifles with something suitable/expensive, and a hope for the best mentality.

Then there is the training issue of teaching troops how to run a rifle with optics.

In admin's defense, we barely have enough staff to handle the calls so pulling folks off the streets to teach them how to use optics is going to be quite the challenge if they ever do decide to purchase them........and they may be looking into it for all I know. I'm not privy to such things. Our current admin has purchased needed equipment lately so maybe it's on the shopping list for the future.

We have officers that don't know to flip up their rear (some rifles here also have the MBUS rears as primary sights), officers that use the protective wings of the front post as their aiming point, etc. A dot optic would eliminate all of that if they were the type to stay on continuously and be rugged enough for patrol to abuse.

I also know when to pick my battles and I can run a rifle without an optic so it's not a battle for me. There is plenty I could whine about but admin has their reasons. If I wanted to "change" things I'd have taken the Sgt test years ago and worked my way up.

But to heck with that. I'd rather be on the streets getting my hands dirty. If I wanted an office gig, I'd have went into business or something else in the public sector making double what I starve on now.

Regards.

User Tag List