Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any departments issuing/allowing flip up magnifiers on patrol rifles?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Any departments issuing/allowing flip up magnifiers on patrol rifles?

We aren't allowed any magnification, other than SWAT snipers. I was in a situation recently where magnification would have been a huge help. I've generally been one of the "for what we do we don't need..." bandwagon guys, but yesterday showed me I was wrong. Normally we don't, abnormal things happen and we have to deal with it.

So I'd like anyone who has an SOP/directive on their use to PM me if they don't mind. Also any feedback on the pro's and con's of the flip-up style, what to look for, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Yes, Aimpoint 3x, but there is no SOP/directive other than they're on a matrix of what we're allowed to hang on our Mk18s.

ETA: Just double checked the list and it's listed for our tactical team only.

I've seen individuals assigned to our field offices with them, so I'm not sure if there are exceptions granted or they're just saying, "Fuck the policy, it doesn't make sense" and rolling with them regardless.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-18-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We do, I've been using one for many years.

I use Aimpoint's original 3x in a Larue flip up mount. There is a mixture of those, EOTechs, and I imagine another company's offering that I haven't seen since I don't normally work the patrol rifle quals.

We cover their use under the same modification language for everything - approved by the program manager/supervisor with armorer's recommendation. As a general rule, it is for use beyond 50yds. However, it could well used much closer depending on the situation.

A LVPO could make more sense if your racks will support their use. Our don't and I'm not willing to keep it in the back of the SUV, so I go with the 3x.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    We cover their use under the same modification language for everything - approved by the program manager/supervisor with armorer's recommendation.
    This, magnifiers and LPVOs.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-18-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    We permit it, I am waiting to have the cash to do it. One of the guys is running a leupy 1-4 and is happy with it. The newest Leupold 1-8 would be super cool, if I win the lottery and can find the $4k.. I would almost rather see these than issued cans, and I would rather see more patrol units than either, but it liiks like we will be issued cans next year.

Our SOP is really simple (it needed to be....I was one of the signing folks before the chef approved it). I will see if I can PM it from work tonight.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 09-18-2018 at 04:28 PM.

We allow them and there is no policy on them other than you need to qualify with it before you carry it. The qualification course is the same course as normal and the officer decides when to use it during the course.

For those that allow it, if you are allowed, can you PM me your "approved optics" or whatever list, etc. My department has been shooting this down for 5 years or so, so the more I have the better.

No. We're being told that any magnification, to include a flip up 3x magnifier would mandate shooting a snipers qualification and not the patrol rifle qualification. We're being told that is per our state's regulating body (OPOTA).

SWAT is somehow exempt though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    No. We're being told that any magnification, to include a flip up 3x magnifier would mandate shooting a snipers qualification and not the patrol rifle qualification. We're being told that is per our state's regulating body (OPOTA).

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post

I emailed OPOTA about that a few years ago. The reply was that they had no idea how that got started and they had no position on the issue.

User Tag List