Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What does a 33% sight radius increase get you?

I'm not completely sure I'm right, but I think slimmer sight dimensions can do essentially the same thing as a longer sight radius.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I'm not completely sure I'm right, but I think slimmer sight dimensions can do essentially the same thing as a longer sight radius.
    I think you're right.

Isn't the experiment to take aim at a point, then move the front sight so it is touching the left of the rear sight instead of centered and fire, move it to the right and fire. You see how much effect the sight deviation actually has on POI. Longer the radius, or the narrower the rear sight, the less the deviation will be, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I prefer a skinny post - I prefer a 0.090” width on my guns, about as narrow as Dawson will even make then for a 1mm fiber. The thought process was better for speed than precision, but that is an interesting observation.

There is some loss of durablity with narrow front sights though and fibers fall out on occasion.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I prefer a skinny post - I prefer a 0.090” width on my guns, about as narrow as Dawson will even make then for a 1mm fiber. The thought process was better for speed than precision, but that is an interesting observation.

There is some loss of durablity with narrow front sights though and fibers fall out on occasion.

I just checked with Dawson and unfortunately they can not do a 0.090" Glock front sight because of the mounting screw dimensions. I have a set of their new G34 Gen5 (0.105") sights that should be here tomorrow.

I should be picking up a new G34 Gen5 this weekend. I am interested to compare my shot calling, sight tracking, and recoil impulse of the longer G34 slide with my G17 and G19 Gen3 times on the FAST, The Test, and Gabe's Turbo Pin goals.

My time's and splits are pretty similar between the G19 and G17. I just tend to throw more C's and 9's with the G19. I also have a G19 cut to a G26 frame length. My consistency, times, and score are markedly poorer with this set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I saw Kyle Defoor write he shoots a G19 85% as well as a G17.
    I've seen other similar instructors comment on that trend in their students as well.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I think you're right.

Isn't the experiment to take aim at a point, then move the front sight so it is touching the left of the rear sight instead of centered and fire, move it to the right and fire. You see how much effect the sight deviation actually has on POI. Longer the radius, or the narrower the rear sight, the less the deviation will be, right?
    Width of sight notch or thinness of front sight are not factors in deviation, if this term is defined as movement of point of impact. The longer radius allows more precise alignment. Said another way, the shooter can move the poi in smaller increments on the area at which he's aiming. Wider notches and thinner front posts aid in rapidly attaining a sight picture but not in shooting small bullseye target groups, which is not our purpose here. Actually they would detract. But, it's all a matter of balancing sight radius and sight combination.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I think you're right.

That's a drill I actually run regularly in classes. Many people have already done it, but some haven't, and its value is critical in illustrating that the basic condition of the front sight essentially being somewhere/anywhere within the rear notch, when combined with a quality trigger press, is sufficient gun/target alignment for a great many shots. A person's recognition of that is very important in handling and shooting at speed and with the sights in motion.

As I've done that drill over time, I do find exactly what you say there - bigger light bars in the sight picture lead to more deviation within the scope of that drill.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Wider notches and thinner front posts aid in rapidly attaining a sight picture but not in shooting small bullseye target groups, which is not our purpose here. Actually they would detract.
    My purpose is to hit what I'm shooting at, which is probably why we're all here.

Mike Pannone says in this video that he did not see an increase in times when using a thinner notch.

Frank Proctor has similar results.

So my brother, who’s started to get serious with pistols in the past couple years, has moved to the rmr camp. He started with a 19.4, then realized he can focus much better with a mrds. Then he went the way of the Roland special. But after shooting a lightly modified g34, and realizing 95% of the benefits the comp and barrel, he decided to build a g34, with a grip chop to g19 dimensions. He carries AIWB in a holster for g34/x300u

So what does it all mean? It means that even using an RMR, which negates all sight radius variables, he would rather have the recoil/tracking characteristics of a g 34.

ETA: He does 90% of his work at 25yards on a B8. so mechanical accuracy is a priority for him as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-19-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Mike Pannone says in this video that he did not see an increase in times when using a thinner notch.
    I'd agree with that, but I'd also add that I think a tighter rear notch is more index-sensitive (easier to pull a slightly bad grip and not find the front sight as easily.)
    Lord of the Food Court

User Tag List