Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does a 33% sight radius increase get you?

Calling @Mr_White - I'm pretty sure Gabe isn't carrying a G34 by accident and I've seen in person and in video what he can do with that thing.

I'm G19/P-07 sized currently but I've considered G34/P-09 for exactly that reason. I haven't tested it side-by-side though.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 09-18-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I noticed a significant improvement in USPSA scores going from a P99c to a P99 (basically G26 to G19), but it's impossible to separate out how much of that improvement came from the full size grip and how much came from the additional sight radius. If I had to guess, I'd attribute more of it to the grip size, but I would still say that the increased sight radius is beneficial.

I have always shot a G17 better than G34.

I saw Kyle Defoor write he shoots a G19 85% as well as a G17.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Calling @Mr_White - I'm pretty sure Gabe isn't carrying a G34 by accident and I've seen in person and in video what he can do with that thing.

I'm G19/P-07 sized currently but I've considered G34/P-09 for exactly that reason. I haven't tested it side-by-side though.
    Why would you go from G-19 to 34- skipping the G-17?
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it gets me no measurable advantage. But I'm far from an expert on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Why would you go from G-19 to 34- skipping the G-17?
    Well, yeah. But I asked first

This is going to end up too long but oh well.

I used to shoot the Gen3 G17. I took a quick detour to the early Gen4 G17 and shot my first match with that in 2010 (GSSF) and amazingly walked away with four gun certificates. That was the theoretical maximum - three as an amateur, promoted mid match to master, then one as a master. I had previously been unable to tell the difference when shooting a 17 vs 34, but I tried my friend's 34 and shot a good group with it, plus I had plenty of 17s, so I sent away for four Gen3 G34s and got back a set of consecutive serial numbered guns. They are special to me and I carried and shot them for about eight years and have done almost all my shooting accomplishments with them. Over time I've had various barrels, slides, and frames replaced on a couple of them.

After getting them, I was able to notice that they were a bit softer shooting than the 17, and I did seem a bit more accurate with them on longer shots. In GSSF, I posted my best scores with them, the G17 barely behind, and the G26 noticeably behind that. I've never really gotten into the 19.

The 34 isn't slower for me to draw or transition, it just takes a little different character of effort to drive it around.

Last December I got some Gen5 G17s because I wanted to change things around a little bit to refocus my attention and I also just wanted to try them (the Gen5 G34 wasn't out yet.) I think the Gen5 is a great gun and the 17s are doing very well for me. I just got through hitting 6/8 Turbo runs in the demos for score in the Oklahoma PSS class last weekend. I look forward to writing a new chapter with them. I'm still carrying them in a G34-length holster (Keeper) because of the better safety and concealment leverage with AIWB.

I believe the people who say they shoot G19s better than the longer Glocks, but I have definitely always done the best with the 34 and 17.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

A point I meant to make is that my choice of the G34 for so long was partly whim and largely psychological - I won them. They were an early part of a cycle of success and that's more why I ran them for so long rather than any other reason. Though I did seem to perform best with them AFTER the choice was made. But was that the gun or the psychology? Who knows.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    As far as shooting smaller groups is concerned, increasing sight radius increases precision of aiming. I think that when a shooter moves from a Glk 26 to a Glk 17, he would see gains. It follows that moving to a Glk 34 would enable some of us to shoot higher scores. But then shooters vary in vision acuity, age, ability, and other differences so variables are at play. And then there are timer/speed concerns. My opinion is that for defense shooting there would be diminishing returns when adopting longer sight radii.

User Tag List