Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does a 33% sight radius increase get you?

What does a 33% sight radius increase get you?

Practically speaking in self defense.
    Suppose you go from a Glock 19 to a Glock 34-is there a real world payoff? Or is this one of those "better is better" measurements but only under artificial conditions that are designed to separate out small differences?

Site Supporter
    This is going to be pretty subjective, particularly regarding pistols that are meant to be employed rapidly such as defensive use.

As an example, I know of several shooters that prefer a G19 length slide solely due to the fact that their eyes do not focus as well when the sight is further out such as on a G17 or 34. They are trading sight radius for optimal focus.
    Polite Professional

Site Supporter
    Are you asking in regard to the sight radius alone, or as part of the overall package?

For me, 5" guns carry AIWB better than compacts, plus are just a little easier on my ears at an indoor range. I would add those factors along with the sight radius factor in my own evaluation.

I didn't think about the other factors but I can see them as adding up.

But, if you were to shoot a series of drills with identical guns would there be a higher hit percentage with the longer radius?

Drills balancing speed and accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Practically speaking in self defense.
    Suppose you go from a Glock 19 to a Glock 34-is there a real world payoff? Or is this one of those "better is better" measurements but only under artificial conditions that are designed to separate out small differences?
    I suspect that you MIGHT see a difference on shots beyond about 15 yards. Not sure that I'd give up the overall smaller size of the G19 for that, though.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Some shooters claim the shorter guns shoot flatter and transition faster from target to target. They can also be better for people whose eyes are aging and the longer guns make it harder to focus on the front sight.

I think there is probably truth to the above. But I still prefer full size, longer pistols like Government model 1911s and Glock 34s because I like the longer sight radius and the way the guns balance and carry.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What does a 33% sight radius increase get you?
    ... better popularity with the ladies?

Oh, you said "self-defense"...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    ... better popularity with the ladies?

Oh, you said "self-defense"...
    Maybe he’s “defending” himself against hordes of ladies...

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

If you follow Kyle Defoor's facebook, a stock G43 is a 50 yard gun. I ain't him though

I think a good sight combination (like Dawson .120 rear with a .100 front) negates most of the perceived advantages. I however do think a longer radius exaggerates the overall movement of the front sight like how a MRDS does, which gives you more data on the actual placement of the front sight in relation to the target, particularly at 25 yards and back. Of course none of this matters if the trigger press/grip is crap.

Added sight radius doesn't do much for me, based on my Steel Challenge results. My match results are 10 - 15% better with a G19 than a G17, and the guns are set up identically. Strange but true.
    Last edited by Mark D; 09-18-2018 at 05:27 PM.

User Tag List