Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Syrians Shoot Down Russian planes because of Israeli trick?

Site Supporter
    ADA motto - it flies it dies

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    I highly doubt the F-16s were using the IL-20 as “cover”. The SA-5 is not a very discriminate weapon system, and is optimized to target big airplanes at medium altitude. Simplest answer is it was probably an act of buffoonery on the Syrians part.
    I believe the Israelis were flying F22s, significantly stealthier, with significantly more sophisticated sensor suites.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I believe the Israelis were flying F22s, significantly stealthier, with significantly more sophisticated sensor suites.
    The F-22 is only flown by the US. We never exported it despite requests from our allies.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    I highly doubt the F-16s were using the IL-20 as “cover”.
    Maybe this should be self-explanatory, but what exactly is meant by using a plane as "cover"?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Maybe this should be self-explanatory, but what exactly is meant by using a plane as "cover"?
    There are several ways, but basically you fly close enough to someone else to confuse the radar operator. Particularly on old radars, the "blip" on the screen covers a lot of space, and a bunch of aircraft merge into one blob then separate; which one's which? An aircraft using another as cover wouldn't necessarily have to fly close to the cover aircraft - just put the cover aircraft directly between itself and the ground radar. It sounds easy but in practice it's hard to do, particularly if you're far enough away from the cover aircraft so that they can't see you. Or, alternatively, you can just be in the same area as the cover aircraft and hope the radar operator will lose your track among all the others on the screen he's tracking; the Eastern Med is pretty crowded when you try to put all flights within a hundred miles on a, what, 12-inch screen?

For civilian air traffic controllers aircraft turn on electronic gizmos (IFF) that spits out an electronic identifier. In war, combatants turn this off, or respond only to a code their own forces know. There are other ways to identify non-cooperating aircraft but the old SA-5 radars are unlikely to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Flying along with the Russian transport plane between yourself and the SAM battery. Considering the general incompetence of the Syrians, there's a 50/50 random chance whether they shoot at you or their buddy if they decide to fire.

Hell it could have been an airliner or UFO, I doubt the idiots behind the S-200 could tell the difference and have a proper ROE set up to avoid an international incident.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by GhastlyTT View Post
    The F-22 is only flown by the US. We never exported it despite requests from our allies.
    You're correct, I should have said F35s. Curse my manager, giving me 17 number one priorities, doesn't he know I have important posts to post on P-F?!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker;790094[B
    ]For civilian air traffic controllers aircraft turn on electronic gizmos (IFF) that spits out an electronic identifier. In war, combatants turn this off, or respond only to a code their own forces know.[/B] There are other ways to identify non-cooperating aircraft but the old SA-5 radars are unlikely to have them.
    Don't russian radars and planes have an specific IFF code?

They do. The problem is that the Syrian IFF can't read the modern Russian IFF. Whoops.

https://meduza.io/news/2018/09/20/mi...a-svoy-chuzhoy

Oooopsie! Hard to believe in such hostile and complex environment.

User Tag List