Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Syrians Shoot Down Russian planes because of Israeli trick?

Site Supporter

Syrians Shoot Down Russian planes because of Israeli trick?

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...B-14-dead.html

Oops - a third world war moment? We are so focused on the battle of the tribal idiots of the GOP/Dems that we ignore the rest of the world.

Not likely.

Israel warned that they would target any targeting if their assets. I can look for the article.

Israel probably did what they said they would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an article that opens the above-stated possibility.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/m...f-used-against

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...B-14-dead.html

Oops - a third world war moment? We are so focused on the battle of the tribal idiots of the GOP/Dems that we ignore the rest of the world.
    It's possible the Israelis uses the Il-20 as a distraction/cover for a raid against Syrian anti-aircraft missiles, but it's a stretch. From other sources I'm reading that the IAF gave the Russians only one minute's warning of their raid, instead of more time. The Russians blame that short time on their inability to get the Il-20 clear of the hot zone. In order to use the departing Il-20 as cover the IAF would have had to plan to know exactly where it would be when it heard from Russian command and precisely its flight path away from where it might be at the time. It's possible, but I think it's unlikely the IAF could count on it as cover.

Disclaimer: not an ADA guy or pilot. Looking up the system, the S200/SA5 is a pretty old SAM system, unlike the S400 system the Russians have in country. I wonder if the Syrian operators realized they were under attack, panicked, and just happened to light up the first thing flying that they could lock onto.

It certainly looks better from the Russian perspective to claim that it was a cowardly trick employed by the Israelis rather than an admission that their client state is incompetent and just engaged the first thing they could.
    Last edited by Moshjath; 09-18-2018 at 07:36 PM.

An incompetent military (and I use that word loosely) shot down an allied Russian plane with Russian designed equipment. Heh.
    Last edited by Peally; 09-18-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Shooting your own guys or the wrong guys is not unknown even in high tech well trained environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    An incompetent military (and I use that word loosely) shot down an allied Russian plane with Russian designed equipment. Heh.
    Maybe it's because I grew up in the Cold War, but this story is going to make me feel good all day.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Maybe it's because I grew up in the Cold War, but this story is going to make me feel good all day.

Okie John
    Yeah I don't really care that it got downed, I just thought the circumstances were mildly entertaining.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    It's possible the Israelis uses the Il-20 as a distraction/cover for a raid against Syrian anti-aircraft missiles, but it's a stretch. From other sources I'm reading that the IAF gave the Russians only one minute's warning of their raid, instead of more time. The Russians blame that short time on their inability to get the Il-20 clear of the hot zone. In order to use the departing Il-20 as cover the IAF would have had to plan to know exactly where it would be when it heard from Russian command and precisely its flight path away from where it might be at the time. It's possible, but I think it's unlikely the IAF could count on it as cover.
    I highly doubt the F-16s were using the IL-20 as “cover”. The SA-5 is not a very discriminate weapon system, and is optimized to target big airplanes at medium altitude. Simplest answer is it was probably an act of buffoonery on the Syrians part.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List