Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any info on safe life Hard Rifle Plate Level IV ICW

Any info on safe life Hard Rifle Plate Level IV ICW

https://safelifedefense.com/product/...-level-iv-icw/

The price isnt too bad.. But looking at the PDF it appears they only tested the plate against 6 shots of M2AP/30-06

The level IIIA and IIIA+ (didn't know that was a thing) appear to have a decent selection of handgun caliber rounds having been tested.

Other than that they don't provide much information.

Sorry I'm not as up on hard armor ratings and specs.. I recently refreshed myself with Docs hard and soft armor primers.

Edit: Dont really like the looks of this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1&&FORM=VRDGAR
    Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 09-18-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun_Symphony View Post

The price isnt too bad.. But looking at the PDF it appears they only tested the plate against 6 shots of M2AP/30-06
    Only? 6 shots is 6 times the amount required for NIJ Level 4 rating....

The level IIIA and IIIA+ (didn't know that was a thing) appear to have a decent selection of handgun caliber rounds having been tested.
    IIIa+ and III+ is akin to ammo manufacturers +p+ ratings.....it's not an actual standard by NIJ. It's simply marketing by the manufacturer to indicate that a plate exceeds the usual standards for a given rating.....for instance, III+ is usually done to indicate that a plate will stop some form of 5.56, but it isn't an actual standard. So some III+ plates will stop both M193 and M855, whereas others might only stop one or the other. Since it's not an actual certification, there's no guarantee as to the task/condition/standards that the manufacturers testing was conducted by, either.

Edit: Dont really like the looks of this
    Why? You want Level 4 specs.....and that performed to Level 4.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-18-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I think he’s saying that it appears the manufacturer only tested the plate with the 30-06 and and did not test it with any of the other rounds a Level IV plate is supposed to stop such as M855 and M193, etc.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I think he’s saying that it appears the manufacturer only tested the plate with the 30-06 and and did not test it with any of the other rounds a Level IV plate is supposed to stop such as M855 and M193, etc.
    NIJ doesn't have a spec for stopping M855 and M193. The standard for Level 4 is to stop M2 AP 30-06 and all rounds in lower tests, of which 5.56 isn't in any of them.

Level 4 being able to stop M855 and M193 is either an assumption on the buyers part, or a separate test on the manufacturers part.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    NIJ doesn't have a spec for stopping M855 and M193. The standard for Level 4 is to stop M2 AP 30-06 and all rounds in lower tests, of which 5.56 isn't in any of them.

Level 4 being able to stop M855 and M193 is either an assumption on the buyers part, or a separate test on the manufacturers part.
    Huh. You’re right. I totally did not know that. I just checked the NIJ site and it basically just recommends at least level III and more likely level IV armor to stop 5.56. I just checked the website of my Level IV plate’s manufacturer and it says it will defeat M193 and M855 so I’m hoping they actually tested it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Huh. You’re right. I totally did not know that. I just checked the NIJ site and it basically just recommends at least level III and more likely level IV armor to stop 5.56. I just checked the website of my Level IV plate’s manufacturer and it says it will defeat M193 and M855 so I’m hoping they actually tested it.
    NIJ is frustratingly stuck in the past with regards to the current threat spectrum. Level III+ should be formalized in some manner for rating 5.56 (M193 and M855) given it's the most common rifle caliber in the US, and EPR should be tested as well given it's already showing up among gang members domestically. There's a ton of cops and EMS out there with rifle plates and a false sense of capability in what they'll stop when they go into an active shooter.

There's other things which they don't account for as well, like contact shots with soft armor. The FBI (and possibly other orgs?) conducts their own testing independent to NIJ and tests for this.

AIUI, there aren't all that many actual OEMs for the hard plates themselves, and the vast majority of vendors out there are selling something that they put their branding on. If you can figure out the OEM (e.g. Tencate, Hesco), you can find a lot of good information on their website.

That said, I'm bad at IDing plate OEMs.

I guess I do like to see a more complete series of testing is all... and while yes, it meets the IV claim for 1 shot.. they said it stopped 6... But not in that video

Actually, a Level IV need not pass the Level III testing protocols.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-18-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    I guess I do like to see a more complete series of testing is all... and while yes, it meets the IV claim for 1 shot.. they said it stopped 6... But not in that video
    What are you buying the plates for?

What is your threat profile ?

If it is domestic / CONUS LE then M193 and 855/green tip are common threats and you want players which will stop them.

Do not assume. As TGS said the NIH ratings on plates are BS.

User Tag List