Thread: Five-O Tactical Training Survival Shooting Tulsa OK 09-15-2018

Five-O Tactical Training Survival Shooting Tulsa OK 09-15-2018

AAR Five-O Tactical Survival Shooting

Date: September 15, 2018 9 am to 5 pm.

Weather: Sunny, hot humid with daytime temperatures in the low 90’s.

Student Breakdown: 6 students and 2 instructors. Students were five males and one female ranging in age from 20 yoa (female) to mid-60s.

The Class:

All students arrived at the range between 8:30 am and 8:45 am and we were greeted by Chuck Smith (owner and instructor for Five-O Tactical) and his AI Mike Pierce. The range was set up ready to go and there were 4 tents set up for students to sit under to stay out of the sun during lecture. Chuck gathered all waivers and range fees and quickly got all of the administrative work out of the way. Chuck then conducted a safety briefing and assigned students tasks in the event of an incident on the range. Attending this class were 3 people who had completed the Five-O Tactical Tac Med class, so there were people who had some experience.

After completing the safety briefing, Chuck discussed his thought process in how he developed his classes for the concealed carrier. Chuck advised he uses his experience from the street as a 24-year police officer and real world personal experience to teach people what they really need to know. He develops gun fighters. Chuck is very passionate about what he teaches and the success of his students. He does not candy coat it and truly preaches from the heart.

After the thought process, he goes into his theory about how he teaches his classes in a building block format, where his students start off with a Handgun Operator class (skill building/fundamentals) then moving on to Tac Med (more skill building and scenarios), Survival Shooting (utilizing those skills through scenario-based training), Fighting Pistol 1, Fighting Pistol 2 and, Civilian Response to an Active Shooter.

Chuck handed each of the students a trainer tourniquet and moved into a review of tourniquet application and had us practice putting them on ourselves. He then, had us put the tourniquet in our preferred place to carry it and advised that at any given moment throughout the day, he could yell out a command for us to apply our tourniquet to save our lives. Shortly after that, our first command came down. Chuck gave us 30 seconds to apply the tourniquet to our left leg. He then came around to verify the tightness and proceeded to crank it down even more (OUCH). He advised we need to make sure that during training, we train like it is the rea deal. Any “cheating” in class would result to cheating in the real world. He continued to drill it into us all day. Crank that Mutha down and save your life, or the life of your loved ones.

After the tourniquet review, we discussed malfunctions and how to clear them with two hands, as well as one hand (both strong and weak hand). We then went down range and practiced the skills with dummy rounds. After he was satisfied with our practice, we then applied our tourniquets on a limb that he called out and then clear the malfunction he had set up for us. We did that a few times, then proceeded to do them with live fire with an 8” round target approximately 5-7 yards away.

After completing this, we broke for lunch.

Upon returning to the range, we discussed the time and place for surreptitious draws. Chuck gave us examples of surreptitious draws and had us practice them. A scenario was then set up in which we were facing 90 degrees from a target down range (7 yards) and our instructions were to surreptitiously draw on the word threat until we were told to engage with our ultimate goal to get all the way back to concealment. Upon stepping to the line, Chuck called threat, I surreptitiously drew my gun and was then advised the threat turned into a gunfight. We were to return fire and retreat back to concealment, then retreat to cover (a second set of barrels) while getting to the second set of barrels, I was advised that I had been shot in the left leg and I needed to apply a tourniquet, at the same time, I am being told that the downed threat is shooting again shooting at me while a I trying to get the tourniquet applied. After getting the tourniquet applied, we were instructed to move to medical all the while returning fire to the threat and scooting, dragging our injured limb. I was the first student to do the drill. Overall, I did pretty well. Chuck did identify some early training scars. The biggest one was after a volley of gunfire, I would go to a compressed high ready position while assessing the status of the threat. Chuck advised to stay in the fight until the threat is down. Also, having to drag your own body 10 yards will wear you out. It is important to be physically fit. By the time the scenario was over, I was out of breath. Fitness is important. After each student went through the scenario, it would be debriefed. All were learning moments.

The remainder of the day was working in and around vehicles. It was interesting to see first-hand what really happens around cars. While I have seen videos and read articles about vehicle ballistics, I had never seen what really happens. We saw how effective each of the pillars (A,B, and C) are for cover and how ineffective car door panels are (bullets travel right through them). We shot through glass from the outside in and then we also shot from within the car out through the windshield. We practiced the proper way to exit the car with a threat down range.

Our last scenario of the day was we were walking into a restaurant and two people were exiting after a possible robbery. The two people engaged in an exchange of gunfire us as a threat to their escape. This is where we really saw how ineffective the door panels are as cover. Rounds went right through both sides of the car. This scenario also made us think about how to best deal with the two suspects effectively. Everyone addressed it a little differently. At the end, there end no wrong or right way. Chuck just wanted us to stack our priorities and deal with the threat the best we could.

Equipment: Students- 1 Glock 26; 1 Glock 19, 1 Glock 17, 1 HK VP9, 1 Sig Sauer 226, and one Sig 320 RX (mine) with X5 carry grip and Talon grip tape. All equipment worked very well. I do not recall seeing any malfunctions from any of the guns with the exception of a stove pipe from a Glock 19 during a scenario. It was determined that the gun was held too closely to the barricade, causing the shell to not be ejected properly, thus causing a stove pipe. The student cleared the malfunction and proceeded to complete the task at hand.

Overall, I was happy with the performance of the Sig 320 RX. We definitely did not treat our pistols with love out there. The guns were dropped in the dirt, racked on belts, shoes and etc. I found the 320 to perform flawlessly in each of those tasks. I hear many people bash the Romeo 1 optic due to lack of durability and it breaking when dropped. Now mind you, I did not drop it from shoulder’s height onto a paved surface, but the optic did take abuse. I found it easy to pick up the dot from multiple shooting positions and under stress allowing me to get good solid hits. After returning home, I cleaned the gun and using a bore sighting laser, I determined the dot appeared to have shifted slightly (and I mean slightly) to the right. However, I never noticed it during the class and it did not seem to affect my hitting the targets.

Summary:

I have had the privilege to take 3 classes with Five-O Tactical Training. I can say without a doubt that a tremendous amount of learning occurs out there. Chuck has an abundance of knowledge in his head and does an amazing job of relaying that to his students. My head hurts after a class (not really) because I am absorbing so much. The biggest take away from the classes with Chuck is that his scenario-based training really works. I have taken many classes on the “square range” and have learned the basics, and some instructors are very good at teaching the basic fundamentals. It is one thing to go through the steps and get hits at 3-5-7-10-15-20-25 without shooting on the move. At the end of the day, my goal is to protect the life of myself, my wife and my child. I want to know I have the skills and the mindset to deliver what I need on demand to get the job done. What I want is real world training that will win a gun fight heaven forbid I am ever in one. Chuck puts you to the test and shows you what works on the street. I really look forward to taking more classes with Five-O Tactical.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

This sounds like a very advanced class for sure to hit such task overload complexity in one day. Good small class size.

Does he come across in person, as dismissive of military combat experience as his website suggests?

"While Five-O Tactical appreciates the service and sacrifice of all military personnel, we do not believe there is much carry over of military tactics to the average armed civilian. Additionally, we do not believe in the ability of someone who's experience lies solely in lugging an AR-15 in full kit and uniform, to relate much to the armed citizen trying to conceal an adequate pistol in the typical clothing seen during an Oklahoma summer. Let alone the tactics and legal issues of deploying that pistol in a violent encounter based on civilian engagement rules. Five-O Tactical doesn't only get it, we live it daily and have for 22 years."

I say "dismissive" because "solely lugging an AR-15 in full kit" is a straw man that doesn't come close to describing the hundreds (or more) of former Mil with SOF experience of gunfights numbering in three digits per vet on top of world class training. And of course some of them are now in the training sector.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This sounds like a very advanced class for sure to hit such task overload complexity in one day. Good small class size.

Does he come across in person, as dismissive of military combat experience as his website suggests?

"While Five-O Tactical appreciates the service and sacrifice of all military personnel, we do not believe there is much carry over of military tactics to the average armed civilian. Additionally, we do not believe in the ability of someone who's experience lies solely in lugging an AR-15 in full kit and uniform, to relate much to the armed citizen trying to conceal an adequate pistol in the typical clothing seen during an Oklahoma summer. Let alone the tactics and legal issues of deploying that pistol in a violent encounter based on civilian engagement rules. Five-O Tactical doesn't only get it, we live it daily and have for 22 years."

I say "dismissive" because "solely lugging an AR-15 in full kit" is a straw man that doesn't come close to describing the hundreds (or more) of former Mil with SOF experience of gunfights numbering in three digits per vet on top of world class training. And of course some of them are now in the training sector.
    It definitely is a class that is more advanced. He runs each student through the scenarios one at a time and puts stressors on them according to their level of experience. The gal who attended was the daughter of one of the other students, she had taken only 1 or two other courses, so this was bar far the most advanced class for her. Chuck did push her to an extent but was there with her closely coaching her along the way. She did an amazing job.

From training with him and breaking bread with him, I can honestly say he is respectful of the military and their service. From what I gather, his point is that battle field training is not applicable to civilian street training. He has been a street cop now for 24 years and done a lot of undercover narcotics stuff much like SouthNarc. If you had the opportunity to meet with him you would see his passion for what he does.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

User Tag List