Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: RFI Night Sights

If I had to buy a new set of sights today?

https://www.gtdist.com/ameriglo-agen...e-outline.html

https://www.gtdist.com/ameriglo-agen...e-outline.html

Sent from my iPhone
    (So Excuse the typos)
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Just quick and dirty pics... but, 65” TV illuminates the room pretty damn well. Especially with my eyes adjusted after an hour of watching in the dark. 2 pistols (unloaded and cleared) pictured. One with night sight, one with black sights. Not the greatest focus.

But, I could tell if someone was family or not in this light. And could most likely see hands.

As the fireplace color shows. Pointing a gun at someone in a black T shirt is different than if they are wearing a white t shirt.

Is a flash light optimal. YES. Do you always get that options. Hopefully. Do night sights hinder me here? No. Are they helpful here? Yes.

Just a quick and dirty example. You do what you are comfortable with. I know what I like.

Sent from my iPhone
    (So Excuse the typos)
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    there are many lighting circumstances where you have enough light to identify a threat and see their hands and not enough light to see your sights. those are the circumstances where self-illuminated night sights are very useful

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    there are many lighting circumstances where you have enough light to identify a threat and see their hands and not enough light to see your sights. those are the circumstances where self-illuminated night sights are very useful

What he said.

A lot of people I have great respect for use the argument that if its dark enough to see night sights, you need a torch to PID. I still respect them, but I disagree with them. My reality doesn't see me spending huge amounts of time in total darkness, and in that level of darkness the bad guy has his own issues.

I do often find myself in situations where there is enough light to identify a threat sufficiently but not enough light to see fibre sights. These are often the situations where I would most likely be at an increased risk. Leaving the gym, running to the shops after work and in my house at night. I wouldn't need a torch to light things up , so why add to my time into action or make use of less than ideal shooting techniques if I don't need to?

Night sights have come a long way in the last few years and offer a much better day time sight picture than what we had back in 20 years ago.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I gather that you may be my neighbor. If so, and you want to check some out in varying light conditions, let me know.
    I'm in Colorado Springs. Thank you for your offer but I decided to just go with whatever my friend had on his Glock. He uses Ameriglo G101. Even in broad daylight they stood out

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm in Colorado Springs. Thank you for your offer but I decided to just go with whatever my friend had on his Glock. He uses Ameriglo G101. Even in broad daylight they stood out
    Glad you found what you are looking for. The GL101 are great sights. I think you will get along fine with them.

RFI NIGHT SIGHTS

I like and use Trijicon HD Orange. I like the tritium surrounded by orange and having a definite rectangular black metal outline around the orange dot. This surrounding edge helps precision.

It is quite possible to have a situation where you can ID the target but light is such that you cannot see black sights or fiber optics if you are shooting out of a darker area into a brighter area.
    In this situation you have a well lit target but can have trouble seeing non tritium sights.
    I have seen this many times outside in the country. I have also seen this in structures during day and night.

I like 3 dot tritium because of being able to be more sure of alignment. This becomes important in reduced light if you are damaged such that your firing stance/grip are not your usual and thus sights require more attention to assure you are on target.

One possible downside of any tritium sight is: in very dark conditions, if you extend your pistol away from your body it is possible for the glow to be seen by anybody off of your rear flanks at about 4:00 - 5:00 or 7:00 - 8:00. Using a closer to the body ready position lets your body mask the glow. I do not worry a lot about this but am aware of the possibility.

Ideally I would have:
    all black sights in bright sun - best precision in good light,
    fiber optic front sight in dimmer daylight - shows up well in dim light,
    tritium 3 dot in dark or inside structures.

However I have to pick one choice on a carry 24/7 pistol. I like and use Trijicon HD Orange. YMMV.

The Trijicon HD Orange is my best compromise so far. The Yellow HD, while great in dim light, washes out in strong sunlight for my eyes.

Since 1990 I have carried 3 Dot Tritium sights on Glocks and HKs. I also carry a light. ******Target ID is crucial.*****
    I have used Warren Tactical tritium 3 dot, Trijicon and Meprolite tritium 3 dot. I have also used fiber optic front sights in red and green. I have also used plain black for years before tritium.

Additional thoughts………
    Everybody's eyes are different.
    Claude Werner has a strip of small posts painted different colors to test what your eyes see best. I believe he used Testors model paint in various bright colors. A great idea.
    Gabe white wrote of using black sights to train to see the sights.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Lots of plugs for Trijicon HD. They’re just too fat IMO. I had a pair, they’re easy to see for sure, can’t knock that. Now if you say “you know what, I have no intention of shooting anything ever at 25 yds” then I say go for it.

I *really* like the Vickers setup on my Glock 17 but it’s tritium front only. Great sight picture though.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Lots of plugs for Trijicon HD. They’re just too fat IMO. I had a pair, they’re easy to see for sure, can’t knock that. Now if you say “you know what, I have no intention of shooting anything ever at 25 yds” then I say go for it.

I *really* like the Vickers setup on my Glock 17 but it’s tritium front only. Great sight picture though.
    They released a skinnier front sight a while ago. XR I think. I do really like the sight picture of the Wilson/Vickers combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Lots of plugs for Trijicon HD. They’re just too fat IMO.
    Trinicon HD XR. With a THIN front sight post.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...t1.php?id=HDXR

Sent from my iPhone
    (So Excuse the typos)

User Tag List