Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI Night Sights

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    FWIW and with no disrespect to those who oppose-I have taken my night sight cues from PD guys who worked afternoons and nights in KC and Topeka ( I live in KC), where their pistol w/o an weapon light is their primary firearm as that is the position I find myself in the vast majority of the time when low light is even in play. I am a believer in a 3 dot night sight system. I am partial to Amerigos with .180 Pro Operator rears mated to .140 fronts that have been painted orange by the factory. I can and have certainly gotten by on something I have touched up with orange finger nail polish. YMMV greatly.

david of vcdgrips
    www.vcdgrips.com
    "get a better grip on your working gun"
    I fail to see the significance of noting a primary firearm without a weapon light.

To the OP: comes down to your own preferrence. I used to think nights sights were the "end all be all" on a defensive sidearm.

I've done a hell of alot of night shooting over the last 4 years or so. I have a red fiber optic front on one pistol (G17), and a warren tactical green tritium front on another (G23).

I carry both, and shoot both alot. I had intended to replace the G17 sight with tritium, but I have no need. Yes, I do shoot with a handheld light.

Inside of 10 yds, proper indexing is everything. I train to achieve this.

I will say I really like having contrast between front and rears. That tritium front only, in the dark, has caused me to focus more kn the front sight, an unexpected and welcome benefit.

Train in low light as much as you can, see what works best for you, in your likely scenarios, in the scope of your mission.

As the late great Uncle Pay said, "the mission drives the gear".
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 09-18-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

I have found that while not everyone likes tritium... it has no down side other than cost. If you buy them and never are in a low light, dim light scenario, well, you are out $100. But IF you need them, they are there. I have two flashlights on my body as I type this. I get that target ID is paramount.

But, Over the years, in many FOF exercises, I have seen where the night sights can come in handy. Around cars at night, the headlights provide illumination from a fixed point. You move out to the sides of those lights, the area is somewhat illuminated depending on your relation to the car. Or if you are in front of the car, you may block the light and are now casting your shadow toward the threat, the sights still glow when your body is casting a shadow across the gun. (Yes I know silhouetting yourself is bad, but shit happens during traffic stops that is sometimes beyond your control.)

In some traffic stops out in the middle of nowhere. Its you and the guy you stopped, no other person for 5 miles in every direction. If things went bad and that person was ducking around the car, in shadowy spots off on the side of the road, would I know who the threat is? Probably. Because there is no one else there but the guy shooting at you. Would I be using my flashlight as we shot round the cars in the shadows? Nope... I realize most civilians will never have to worry about a t stop. But think changing a tire by yourself in the middle of no where.

Some folks don't like tritium? Well, that is based on their experience. And I am fine with them choosing not to use it. I have been around a lot of work at night and thought, "If I had to shoot in these conditions, with the light as is..." And I can't see see any downside to tritium. But I can see some upside in certain conditions. And the "bold" style orange and yellow paint around the tritium ROCKS. I have yellow Trijicon HDs on my duty gun. My son just got a gen 5 19 with the FIB issued orange painted front. The orange sight works amazingly well.

Your call.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 09-18-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I have found that while not everyone likes tritium... it has no down side other than cost. If you buy them and never are in a low light, dim light scenario, well, you are out $100. But IF you need them, they are there. I have two flashlights on my body as I type this. I get that target ID is paramount.
    I never go to work with LESS than 2 flashlights and I always has another in my backpack

.In some traffic stops out in the middle of nowhere. Its you and the guy you stopped, no other person for 5 miles in every direction. If things went bad and that person was ducking around the car, in shadowy spots off on the side of the road, would I know who the threat is? Probably. Because there is no one else there but the guy shooting at you. Would I be using my flashlight as we shot round the cars in the shadows? Nope... I realize most civilians will never have to worry about a t stop. But think changing a tire by yourself in the middle of no where.
    I don't do "Traffic stops" but investigating "suspicious" vehicles on client property is part of my job description. I go out of my way to identify myself as security NOT police and make it clear that I DON'T CARE what they're doing I just want them to leave. Usually it's a hooker turning a car trick but once I'm pretty sure it was a robber and once it was a cop who cussed me out (not that that would require night sights).

I was surprised by how much the Trijicon HDs on my carry gun helped with fast target acquisition on a few low light drills at a class I took recently. Made me a believer.

I have found that while not everyone likes tritium... it has no down side other than cost.
    In the video I link to above, Frank Proctor explains why he does not prefer them, and I don't recall cost being mentioned. Not everyone likes the dimensions night sights come in.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    I was surprised by how much the Trijicon HDs on my carry gun helped with fast target acquisition on a few low light drills at a class I took recently. Made me a believer.
    What were you using before?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What were you using before?
    Typically stock sights.

I’ve transitioned to Defoor sights on my Glock, and really like it (having shot FO for about a year, as well as Trijicon HDs). The low position of the tritium vile works great for low light, while black sights are great in daylight conditions.

Banned
    I think I'm going to get Ameriglo GL 101

User Tag List