Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI Night Sights

Banned
    I have worked nights for 10 years. I understand positively identifying my target and positively identifying a threat. I carry a thousand lumen flashlight and when I'm walking through someplace dark it's usually already in my hand. I understand that night sights won't identify my target for me and that was never my question it was never even something I implied.

A couple of the places that I walked through tonight I stopped, turned my flashlight off and held my hand in front of my face and literally at arm's length could not see my hand. Stuff like that is what actually got me thinking about night sights.
    Last edited by Cypher; 09-18-2018 at 05:50 AM.

I worked nights for many years without night sights. Once I did have them on my duty pistol and worked with them for a bit, I now have them on all my serious use handguns. I won't carry a pistol that doesn't have NS.

Some, like my 43, 26, 42s.....just have the Ameriglo high vis fronts with tritium and no trit/blacked out rears.

We won't order department use sidearms without night sights.

If you do just want steel sights to replace the plastic ones, the Ameriglo Defoors are great sights for small money. I have them on my new G41 and they are excellent sights.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I have worked nights for 10 years. I understand positively identifying my target and positively identifying a threat. I carry a thousand lumen flashlight and when I'm walking through someplace dark it's usually already in my hand. I understand that night sights won't identify my target for me and that was never my question it was never even something I implied.

A couple of the places that I walked through tonight I stopped, turned my flashlight off and held my hand in front of my face and literally at arm's length could not see my hand. Stuff like that is what actually got me thinking about night sights.
    I’d get them, if I were you. Whether you get HD, Agent, or Idot, I think you’ll like them.

As a .civ CCW holder, I appreciate the inputs here.

I ended up with Glock NS rears and Ameriglo Orange tritium fronts on my carry G26. I’d like to echo the visibility of the Ameriglo front sight under lighted conditions. It is very easy to pick up.

Same comment on the ‘nightstand’ view. I also like seeing the glow of the rear NS in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine with your job that you spend a significant amount of time near lighting at night time.

This dusk/twilight sort of lighting situation is where the tritiums are nice. Similarly, when on night shift I spend almost all of my time in areas with street lights....I think this is the valuable time/conditions for tritiums, and undervalued by Mike Pannone as how he describes it in the video.

Especially with the awesome options from Ameriglo today, I don't think there's any reason to not get tritium. Like another member said......it's just a tool in your tool box, and for a work gun isn't actually detracting anything.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-18-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’d get them, if I were you. Whether you get HD, Agent, or Idot, I think you’ll like them.
    The main reason I'm considering the I Dots is it because the first time I shot a Glock 26 I borrowed it from a guy that had them on it and I remember the front sight standing out so dramatically. Actually I may just ask him exactly what he has on his gun and get that

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I imagine with your job that you spend a significant amount of time near lighting at night time.
    It actually depends on what I'm doing. Where I'm at now the whole parking lot is lit up but I'm walking around in the shadows behind the trucks.

The place where I was at where I ran into the fox the fence line was a mile long (total length not a square mile) and only the front gate and the back gate had lights on them.

And then of course I've worked in parking garages where every square inch is lit up.

The client employee Hazard trailers all the way around the fence in this lot and the back end of the trailer is right up against the fence. So if somebody wanted to steal something out of the back on the trailers all they have to do is hop the fence and you'd never see them from the building which is why I have to go in back of the trailers to check the fence every hour. It seems to me that if I'm going to run into somebody that's a legitimate threat to me that's where it's going to happen.

Site Supporter
    The main reason I'm considering the I Dots is it because the first time I shot a Glock 26 I borrowed it from a guy that had them on it and I remember the front sight standing out so dramatically. Actually I may just ask him exactly what he has on his gun and get that
    From the Ameriglo Agent giveaway thread:

For those that didn't win, but still want a new set of sights, you can get some at Brownells -- which currently has the the orange version on sale for $85 (use code M7R for free shipping). If you want a set that isn't on sale, you can get those for $90 (after using code PJS for $10 off and free shipping).

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod113320.aspx

So, that’s a pretty good deal on some excellent sights. Since you don’t really know what you like, you may as well buy something with a good reputation and reviews that is on sale, no?
    Last edited by Duelist; 09-18-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Site Supporter
    FWIW and with no disrespect to those who oppose-I have taken my night sight cues from PD guys who worked afternoons and nights in KC and Topeka ( I live in KC), where their pistol w/o an weapon light is their primary firearm as that is the position I find myself in the vast majority of the time when low light is even in play. I am a believer in a 3 dot night sight system. I am partial to Amerigos with .180 Pro Operator rears mated to .140 fronts that have been painted orange by the factory. I can and have certainly gotten by on something I have touched up with orange finger nail polish. YMMV greatly.

david of vcdgrips
    www.vcdgrips.com
    "get a better grip on your working gun"

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Since you don’t really know what you like, you may as well buy something with a good reputation and reviews that is on sale, no?
    That would be the route I would take if Santa brought me a new Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List