Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI Night Sights

Deleted
    Last edited by peterb; 09-17-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    None of my guns have night sights on them. The only experience I have with night sights (I swear I'm not making this up) was when a guy at Rampart Range let me shoot his reproduction Hawken Rifle that he had installed night sighs on. I do remember how distinct the sights were.

I carry my Glock 26 mostly at night. I'm going to replace the factory plastic sights on it anyway so are night sights worth the extra money? Are they considered an essential modification?

I prefer them on a defensive gun. To be honest, I like how they help me find my gun quickly in the dark. Might be a stupid reason, but I look for the green dots when I hit the sack and when I rise. Especially when camping.

I gather that you may be my neighbor. If so, and you want to check some out in varying light conditions, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Especially when camping.
    Thread drift...

I always sleep with a holstered gun on. My situation involves the kids in and out of the tent. The thin tent fabric has never provided a feeling of safety. And the fact that I can see the Tritium through the tent window was enlightening. (Sorry for the crappy pun)
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    After 25+ years I am getting over the need. When IWI was manufacturing in town I liked the bright green front dot with dimmer red dots in the rear. It was just about perfect. Now I can't even find a website for them, but then I haven't looked too hard. I have also been on the line for a bunch of lamps going out or literally flying out of their housings.

I have moved from triple dots to dual dot straight 8 types, and considering front dot only. As it is, on my new issued piece I took a sharpie to dim the rear lamps. I think I will play ifth FO as well, or not. I am very happy with an RMR. Waiting for the Acro to drop so I can run a MRDS all the time, with irons as backup, and will run it side by side with an RMR to determine my preferences.

pat

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I no longer think NS are a necessity on a defensive handgun. Have a light with you, and PID the target. Now, with that said, I have tritium on my carry guns. I prefer the feedback given by the Trijicon night sights. The horizontal alignment of the white silicone rubber around the vial helps me in all lighting conditions. I also shoot suppressed (occluded eye aiming) at night with very little ambient light. I benefit from Tritium, but it is not necessary.
    You also don’t really need them if you’ve got a red dot optic. My preferred setup on that is black rear/fo front. Makes a quick reference point.

Most of us here are pretty squared away, and we can kick around a lot of reasons why you maybe don’t really need night sights, but I’d still recommend them on non-RMR’ed carry weapons. It’s a tool in the tool box. Maybe never use it, but you got it. And if anyone cares I prefer dot-over-dot (Straight 8 style) sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My G26 wears Trijicon HD with orange front. The sight picture is so much better than the plastic factory sights, it’s not even funny. I consider my Surefire more important, but there are situations where a light isn’t required for PID, but tritium is still helpful. Since you’re replacing the sights anyway, I would go for night sights.

I have a FO front on one gun, and like it too. If I don’t get night sights on a gun, I’ll probably do FO in the future. But I think I like the night sights better as a general use sight.

Banned
    I may have already said it but this particular gun is the gun that I am most likely to be carrying at night. I am strongly considering the ameriglo I Dot sights. I do carry a flashlight but a lot of places where I'm at at night there's not even street lights

I may have already said it but this particular gun is the gun that I am most likely to be carrying at night. I am strongly considering the ameriglo I Dot sights. I do carry a flashlight but a lot of places where I'm at at night there's not even street lights
    Regardless of how much light is being provided artificially, you’re going to want to use that light you carry to PID your target. I’ve found a FO front and blacked out rear surprisingly useful with those parameters.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Regardless of how much light is being provided artificially, you’re going to want to use that light you carry to PID your target.
    That should be a given

Is it dark enough that you’d have trouble discerning what someone is holding in their hands? Then night sights aren’t really going to benefit you much of the time as much as a flashlight will. You can’t shoot at what you can’t PID. Night sights help you align your sights and place them over a target but they don’t help you see if someone is a threat or not.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List