Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: RFI Night Sights

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Trinicon HD XR. With a THIN front sight post.
    And a massive .169 width rear that they designed to work with the original .144 front.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Well there ya go. I learn something new every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have Ameriglo Spartan Operator or Trijicon HD sights on all of my working guns at present

My previous "Go To" was the Ameriglo Operator set - square yellow front mated to blacked out amber-vial rears. Works great for my eyes and shooting style. Recently, Ameriglo changes the rear vials to green tritium, which I like a lot less. Recently picked up a CAP set for my new M2.0 45, and found the paint was sloppily applied, a needlessly huge rear notch, and the front sight was mis-machined so it could not be installed. I'm now waiting for a set of Night Fision to see if they're a suitable substitute. Concur with the HDs being too wide, and the HDRs being too narrow for the HD's HUGE rear sight notch.

Now that I've wasted your time reading about my preferences, I'm also in the camp that for what they cost, NS are invaluable insurance. And I carry a light on my belt all day, or a small light in my pocket off duty; and my primary carry G19 has a WML attached. But, I won't leave home without NS...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Now that I've wasted your time reading about my preferences, I'm also in the camp that for what they cost, NS are invaluable insurance. And I carry a light on my belt all day, or a small light in my pocket off duty; and my primary carry G19 has a WML attached. But, I won't leave home without NS...
    Ditto....I have a WML 24/7, and a flashlight. I still have night sights. I don't understand the idea of "I have a flashlight therefore I don't need night sights".

They're for two different purposes.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have a handheld light, WML, and RDS. Night sights are useless to me.

Night sights don’t allow me to PID a threat, and they would only be useful in the event all three other devices fail.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    I fail to see the significance of noting a primary firearm without a weapon light.
    Some agencies don't permit WMLs on officers guns. Think it looks too tactical.

Many don't use WML on off duty guns for reasons of comfort and holster selection.

A survey on LFa few years back indicated that WMLs are nice, but not necessary. I am in that camp.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Some agencies don't permit WMLs on officers guns. Think it looks too tactical.

Many don't use WML on off duty guns for reasons of comfort and holster selection.

A survey on LFa few years back indicated that WMLs are nice, but not necessary. I am in that camp.

pat
    WML’s are nice to have. Handheld lights are a must.

There are agencies out there who issue sub-par equipment, because some yo-yo fudd in the chain of command has authority to dictate what gets used. Just because they use or don’t use it, doesn’t mean it’s good thing.

Site Supporter
    When I started policing in the 90s I whined for night sights. We got the basic three dot trijicons. Then I became an armorer and range instructor. Dead night sights were an issue. Coincidently most happened with guys that didn’t like shooting. Some dead night sights from bad/lazy gun cleaning habits- liberally spray gun with carb cleaner, then spray with WD-40 and call it good. Then bitch that gun is a piece of shit because it doesn’t work. Then there were the gun droppers. I would get calls at all hours of the day about broken guns, usually from dropping. It happens; too often from poor gunhandling. Then there were the Romeos. These guys visited their girlfriends on night shift for breakfast. One complained about his night sights repeatedly dying. I told him to stop dropping his belt and trousers on the floor on night shift. He just shrugged as in “oh, I guess that explains it”
    I became increasingly frustrated with our poorest shooters, the usually just lined up the three dots instead of the actual sights. They were identified by poor scores, poor trigger control, and a propensity to shoot as slow as old people fuck; with a broken hip

Site Supporter
    Then I lobbied hard for 10-8 rear sights with tritium fronts. Colt 1911s had a proprietary front dovetail at that time so we were stuck with keng / champion front sights which Dept sent to tool tech. We had high failure rate. I blame the sights; not tool tech. We then changed to rail guns with white lights and no night sights. I have night sights on several of my own guns long enough that they have died from age. As I have gotten older and my eyes changed my preference for sights went from all black tight notch to colored front sight and a wide notch. It’s amazing that smith and Wesson figured this out decades ago with the red ramp front sight. I try not to buy night sights anymore. After the first two shoots at night I can’t see the tritium dot any more so I would rather have the white light. For front sights I prefer a gold bead or bright paint. I wish somebody made a S&W style ramped front sight with the red insert for autos. I would like to try it. Mounted White lights require extra training and a hand held light to be carried
    Last edited by Poconnor; 09-29-2018 at 08:56 AM.

User Tag List