Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI Night Sights

Banned

RFI Night Sights

None of my guns have night sights on them. The only experience I have with night sights (I swear I'm not making this up) was when a guy at Rampart Range let me shoot his reproduction Hawken Rifle that he had installed night sighs on. I do remember how distinct the sights were.

I carry my Glock 26 mostly at night. I'm going to replace the factory plastic sights on it anyway so are night sights worth the extra money? Are they considered an essential modification?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Short answer: yes. Most here would recommend night sights. Before you ask, there's no "best" style as that will vary by individual preference, although there are a few turds.

RFI Night Sights

Some do consider them essential, some do not. I personally do not and prefer fiber optic front and blacked out rears.

I STRONGLY suggest taking a low-light handgun class and trying them both in said class and drawing your own conclusions. Your eyes, ability to see in certain lighting conditions, and being able to PID a target will play into your decision on whether they’re worth it or not to YOU.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Last edited by spinmove_; 09-17-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Short answer: yes. Most here would recommend night sights. Before you ask, there's no "best" style as that will vary by individual preference, although there are a few turds.
    This.

But it's more important to get the plastic sights off of your gun than it is to get night sights. Even plain black steel sights are a better choice.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

“Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Plenty of experienced shooters don't use night sights, like Pannone, Proctor, Vogel, Defoor.

Proctor at :40 on why he does not care for night sights.
    https://youtu.be/pR59nBTGxLU

Pannone and his take.
    https://youtu.be/av8Nfjn-230
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 09-17-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This.

But it's more important to get the plastic sights off of your gun than it is to get night sights. Even plain black steel sights are a better choice.

Okie John
    Agreed.

If you’re on the fence and the low-light class isn’t going to be for a little bit yet, you could do FAR worse than just sticking a set of AmeriGlo Defoor sights on there until you do make a decision. For roughly $35-$45, it’s extremely hard to go wrong with them, even temporarily.

https://ameriglo.com/collections/glo...-tactical-sets

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This.

Okie John
    This ^^^

If you do go night sights I'm a fan of HD/Pro Glo type sights. No one's eyes are getting younger.

The Defoor with the low mounted front night sight and some Orange paint above the dot is the best budget option.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-17-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Owning both night sights and FOs, I'm completely smitten with the Ameriglo Agent sights.

I think they split the difference nicely between traditional night sights and FOs....sure, it isn't FO, but that orange is really bright in the same lighting conditions that FO would be bright in, and it is very bold and gives you the contrast that Proctor talks about in that excellent video posted by Hopetown Brown. The first time I shot them was during a 3 day outdoor course, and during the daytime I compared it as similar to how a FO grabs my eye.

Does it make a difference?

Absolutely, for me. Shooting a full sized steel chest plate or Q-target at 7 yards from concealment, my 1st shot time decreased by ~1/4 second compared to using traditional night sights....yet, I still retain that tritium for low light use.

As the target gets smaller or lighting gets worse, the difference is less noticeable for me which is also likely part of my abilities limitations.

I love them, and highly recommend them. YMMV.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I no longer think NS are a necessity on a defensive handgun. Have a light with you, and PID the target. Now, with that said, I have tritium on my carry guns. I prefer the feedback given by the Trijicon night sights. The horizontal alignment of the white silicone rubber around the vial helps me in all lighting conditions. I also shoot suppressed (occluded eye aiming) at night with very little ambient light. I benefit from Tritium, but it is not necessary.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 09-17-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List