Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Rimfire Optics

RFI: Rimfire Optics

Hope this is in the right place - couldn’t figure out a better spot for it.

I’m looking for a decent (note, not CHEAP) .22 optic. Use will be for as a varmint/plinking rig, if it matters.

Kinda lost, looking at Vortex, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 09-17-2018 at 06:23 AM.

@CS Tactical Call them or PM them. Calling works best.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 09-17-2018 at 06:34 AM.
    #RESIST

What rifle are you using? What distances and will you want a reticle you can range with? Will you want target turrets so you can adjust for distance?

It’s going on a CZ 455.

I’m not sure about ranging, etc. We have pretty thick woods around here, and a long shot on small game would be maybe 50 yards. However, when I’m shooting paper...it might be nice to have target turrets.

A CZ 455 is worthy of a good scope. In the last 2 years I have gotten into the long range rimfire game where we shoot out to 200 yards and beyond. Fun.

So with the understanding that the rifle is going to ride in a pickup, and be carried on long hikes, beaten around, etc, what direction should I go in that will maximize my capabilities for future envelope-pushing experiments?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    So with the understanding that the rifle is going to ride in a pickup, and be carried on long hikes, beaten around, etc, what direction should I go in that will maximize my capabilities for future envelope-pushing experiments?
    Do a lot of research first and don't be afraid to spend more than you paid for the rifle to get a good scope. I've got a fixed power 20X scope on my main long range rifle. You might want to look at variable power. Low power for offhand hunting shots and higher power for target shooting. If you're hunting in the woods you'll probably want something with good light gathering.

Biggest thing with rimfire is getting the objective set for the distance you use. I like Leupold scopes with adjustable objectives as I have dialed it down to as little twenty-five yards. I have a Leupold Competition 20X on one rifle, a Leupold M8-8X on another, and a Leupold 3-9Xx40 with the power set to 8X and the parallax adjustment set to forty yards on my hunting rifle.
    Last edited by farscott; 09-17-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Parallax will be a consideration. Many centerfire scopes are focused at 100 yards. Rimfire scopes need to be set closer, like 50 yards.

I'm not sure there is a do everything scope. Compromises will have to be made.

Here's a couple of places to get info.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
    https://forum.snipershide.com/

edit to add: farscott is saying the same thing.
    Last edited by BN; 09-17-2018 at 07:54 AM.

@farscott

Do you happen to have some model number handy?

Thanks.

User Tag List