Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redhawks?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    mtnbkr,thank you.I'm now considering a S&W,what concerned me about them is their questionable QC on their new revolvers.I know used is an option but I've also heard spare parts are becoming an issue.I'm interested in shooting reasonably heavy 240-300 gr projectiles up to about 1000 fps.
    Ruger's QC isn't much, if any, better, but they will try to fix it under warranty if there's an issue.

If you want a Ruger, just price in the extended firing pin, install, and some grips to the total cost and see if it still interests you. You can make it into a reasonably nice gun, just figure like you're getting an 80% and you have to finish it out yourself. If you get one that runs right, you got a 20% off sale.

*On edit*

Oh, and don't forget about Super Redhawks. Super Redhawks are basically oversized GP-100s and use the GP-100 type innards vs the "one spring does everything" Redhawk design. They are cosmetically challenged, IMO, with the frame extension making them look like a big snub nose with a longer barrel screwed into the snub barrel, BUT they don't have the light strike issues.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 09-17-2018 at 08:03 AM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

SRH > RH

Hopefully someday Ruger finally copies the Bowen GP44. I’d be down for two immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    SRH > RH

Hopefully someday Ruger finally copies the Bowen GP44. I’d be down for two immediately.
    And, of some irony, your signature line is from when Caleb got butthurt after I corrected his misinformation on the topic of Redhawk vs Super Redhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Based on the bushing. The newer ones screw in. I think the older ones were push in. I don't know the cut off date. The .45/.45 Auto is definitely screw in. HB also sells the tool you need to unscrew it, but my gunsmith machined his own.

Also note you'll need to fit it. As it comes, it's very extended. Like will extend past flush until sized correctly. It's not really a drop in part (and not advertised as such) so figure in the cost of install if you're like me and can't do that sort of thing yourself.
    Thanks, I can fit 1911 safeties, s&w over sized hands, etc. I just need to check on the bushing type

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thanks, I can fit 1911 safeties, s&w over sized hands, etc. I just need to check on the bushing type
    Well, it looks like HB has updated it a bit. http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/in...products_id=49

Now you get a new spring with it, which used to be an add-on. Also, there's a shim kit available if you'd rather shim vs machine.

If you have the screw in bushing with two little holes in it, you'd probably want to buy his tool as well. My guy machined his own, because he's like that, but $30 for the HB one is probably worth if for most folks. It's pretty stiff to get out, plus it's Loc-tite'd in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I wanted one of those until I actually got my hands on one.....

It was a fat little brick of a gun with a pretty damn heavy trigger. Cured me of my desire to have one.
    This. I thought the 8-shot .357 would be this year’s "Bloodwork" wheelie, but it’s just a chunk of a revolver.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I was super excited about the Kodiak Backpacker. It was my first 44. I was disappointed. The SRH and it’s GP100 soul just work for me better.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

This sure looks cool...

It is my understanding you can shoot 45LC through the 454, but I have no experience.
    Name:  ThisLooksCool.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  45.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Well, it looks like HB has updated it a bit. http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/in...products_id=49

Now you get a new spring with it, which used to be an add-on. Also, there's a shim kit available if you'd rather shim vs machine.

If you have the screw in bushing with two little holes in it, you'd probably want to buy his tool as well. My guy machined his own, because he's like that, but $30 for the HB one is probably worth if for most folks. It's pretty stiff to get out, plus it's Loc-tite'd in place.
    Thanks I'll send him an emailAttachment 30431
    Eagle grips work for meAttachment 30432
    I've never had a fail to fire with factory ammo, including 1k rounds of lax remanufactured. Just my handloads :-/

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Thanks I'll send him an emailAttachment 30431
    Look at the other side of the bushing, under the hammer.

User Tag List