View Poll Results: Does PF need an unarmed combatives forum?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 59.46%
  • No

21 28.38%
  • Mods here are shit

21 28.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does PF need an unarmed combatives forum?

I say yes. I would love to here more from @SouthNarc and @Paul Sharp and @Cecil Burch. I think a lot of gun people could benefit from hearing more about unarmed combatives.
    Last edited by BJJ; 09-16-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

One more completely random thought: the growth curve over at TPI seems to have been about a decade ago; it’s not terribly unusual for my searches on something I want to know more about to pull up stuff from ‘07 or ‘08 or 2010 (though many threads are living documents that wax and wane over several years’ time). Some of the seminal posters from that time appear to be less active, and many of the debates that ultimately codified concepts took place prior to the teens. All of which is to say, the time might be ripe for a whole new set of students getting into this stuff (myself included); there may be some folks who had lesser levels of experience back then who are pretty squared away at this point, and primed to contribute after 10 years of directed roughhousing, and our serious shit, old-school SMEs are all a decade wiser, a decade more beat up, and have a decade more evos under their belts.

Or not, but that’s part of my thinking on this. If it ends up just being an offshoot that allows newer folks a run at hashing things out, then not much downside.

I probably should have voted "yes" instead of for the mods, upon further reflection.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm not sure.

A lot of us with experience and training in either shooting or h2h forget how much is lost in translation when talking about technical stuff on line, or even in person.

PF does a really good job with gun stuff explaining technical stuff/techniques/philosophy d/t the vast experience of the combined group. Does pf possess that same experience with h2h?

One thing I would strongly encourage if such a sub-section was added would be to make it not just "unarmed combatives". I think separating it from other non-firearms things like OC, impact weapons, knives, etc. leads to a compartmentalization that does not work when we are talking about best practices for self-defense. They should all be on the table, and lot of the discussion should be how they work together.

Essentially, that is what TPI always has been, but I would like all such conversations to be across categories. Otherwise, we will almost certainly leave gaping holes.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    One thing I would strongly encourage if such a sub-section was added would be to make it not just "unarmed combatives". I think separating it from other non-firearms things like OC, impact weapons, knives, etc. leads to a compartmentalization that does not work when we are talking about best practices for self-defense. They should all be on the table, and lot of the discussion should be how they work together.

Essentially, that is what TPI always has been, but I would like all such conversations to be across categories. Otherwise, we will almost certainly leave gaping holes.
    If it came about, whatever you suggest. Seriously.
    #RESIST

I voted yes.

This is the only forum I follow. I'm a Shivworks alumni, and I have a ton of respect for the whole Shivworks Cartel, but I've just never been to TPI.

Because it's multiple choice, I voted all three... My reasons?

Yes: Because, if done right, it could be a great resource that could introduce a lot of 'gun guys' to the multidisciplinary paradigm (both of the Shivworks cartel and others like Ellifritz, Haggard, etc.).

No: Because it could quickly go sideways without (possibly heavy) moderation. I've been on enough forums to know that that level of moderation can quickly get old, for posters and (maybe especially) moderators alike.

Mods here are shit: Well, they are.

I’m going to vote no. One of the things I like about TPI is it’s a small forum. The SMEs there are well vetted in one way or another. There doesn’t seem to be a need for moderation there because bullshit is quickly identified and called bullshit. I don’t really post over there unless it’s to ask a question. It’s largely just a group of people that have figured out what works the hard way. They tested it under pressure over years of practice.

I think it would be really difficult to make that kind of material work in a large open forum.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    I say yes. I would love to here more from @SouthNarc and @Paul Sharp and @Cecil Burch. I think a lot of gun people could benefit from hearing more about unarmed combatives.
    Thanks BJJ. Could not agree more.

Unarmed Combat

No. Go to TPI.

User Tag List