View Poll Results: Does PF need an unarmed combatives forum?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 59.46%
  • No

21 28.38%
  • Mods here are shit

21 28.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does PF need an unarmed combatives forum?

I think the answer is "no," and here's why:

I think that shooting forums are valuable as a source of feedback because firearms training is still largely a solo activity. Unless you're lucky enough to have a training partner or coach who is invested enough to provide you training feedback on the regular, you're mostly in it alone. Having a forum where you can go to ask other people for advice can provide that feedback.

For unarmed combatives, the general training modality is to go to a gym with an instructor/coach and drill+spar. The feedback doesn't need to come from the Internet because you have a coach and training partners. Advice on how to pick a good gym is valuable, but I think dedicating a forum to that is a little much; that could be answered in a how-to article.

Also there's way less gear to geek out about. I don't really see a 335-page thread about the Ernie Langdon Edition BJJ gi happening.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post

For unarmed combatives, the general training modality is to go to a gym with an instructor/coach and drill+spar. The feedback doesn't need to come from the Internet because you have a coach and training partners. Advice on how to pick a good gym is valuable, but I think dedicating a forum to that is a little much; that could be answered in a how-to article.
    Yes and no. For sure, you’re right about the training modalities, but I don’t see it as an either/or thing, and here’s why: most gym coaches aren’t expert shooters. In the EXCELLENT school for BUJ in my area, we have some awesome competitors; the assistant prof is a PanAm champion, and we have trophies all over the walls, at all levels; the hot kids regularly crush white, blue, brown... the pan am lady won her first ever regional at the black belt level earlier this year.

However, comma, despite absolutely brutal levels of technical skill, none of those folks have made that "2percent shift" that Cecil comments about when it comes to transitioning those skills to a weapons-based environment. I know this, because when I have brought it up, I get penis-from-forehead looks. Plus, I’ve seen openings for IFWA before, and I am absolutely the worst practitioner in that place.

So, yes, this stuff is an applied skill, but I still think there is room for discussion specific to weapons-based environments, because that is not something happening in every open mat situation. Many of them, sure, but not all, and I think we have some of the best minds going on this stuff, in residence, already. Again, JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    So, yes, this stuff is an applied skill, but I still think there is room for discussion specific to weapons-based environments, because that is not something happening in every open mat situation. Many of them, sure, but not all, and I think we have some of the best minds going on this stuff, in residence, already. Again, JMO.
    Good point. My old BJJ gym did a lot of weapon work, and the instructors (and many students) were tactical/action shooting enthusiasts. I'm at a competition-based gym now and I definitely took the weapons content for granted. Having an Internet forum to discuss more real-world combatives is probably better than nothing for most people.
    Last edited by perlslacker; 09-16-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    On Tapatalk at work, will vote when I get home. But I'm going to say yes.

Like, I hang out at TPI sometimes, but it's a fairly small forum.

I do think more people being exposed to guys like Paul Sharp, Cecil Burch, Craig Douglas et al, would be a Very Good Thing*

*With the proviso that a lot of sacred cattle will be on the butcher block and some egos will get ruffled when the truth comes up that Martial Art (A) is not as effective as Martial Art (B)

So yeah...but I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious when I prophesy that many butthurts will follow.

If you think people get defensive of their shitty Taurus/Serpa combo.... prepare thyself.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If you think people get defensive of their shitty Taurus/Serpa combo.... prepare thyself.
    yeah I've met Krav practitioners too

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    yeah I've met Krav practitioners too
    Condition 3 carry folk?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    If we do stand up a combatives forum, moderation will be key to its value. I base that on my observation that most of the martial arts forums (TPI notwithstanding) I've ever visited have been even more full of shit than typical gun forums. We'll need a good moderator and input from established SMEs to make it worth while.

Otherwise it will be:

TMAs are all shit!
    Are not!
    Are too!
    I trained with Miyagi!
    He was a pussy!
    over and over and over and over and over...
    Last edited by Robinson; 09-16-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    If we do stand up a combatives forum, moderation will be key to its value. I base that on my observation that most of the martial arts forums (TPI notwithstanding) I've ever visited have been even more full of shit than typical gun forums. We'll need a good moderator and input from established SMEs to make it worth while.

Otherwise it will be:

TMAs are all shit!
    Are not!
    Are too!
    I trained with Miyagi!
    He was a pussy!
    over and over and over and over and over...
    A. Good. Moderator. At. PF.

#RESIST

In addition to the hand to hand stuff, it would be cool if Chuck Haggard would bust out with some flashlight and pepper spray goodness in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A. Good. Moderator. At. PF.

I can think of 3 dudes right off the top (as already mentioned) who could break the curse. But they’re all busy AF... plus, I’d be astounded if any of them owned a bidet.

Well... if Brioni or Allen Edmonds marketed a bidet, I suppose it could come to pass.

Point being, yeah moderation for any such undertaking is probably good. I’ve had my ass handed to me enough to put my own dan ranking in world perspective, but that’s an earned mature outlook that only comes from and ass-handing, IME.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List