View Poll Results: Does PF need an unarmed combatives forum?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 59.46%
  • No

21 28.38%
  • Mods here are shit

21 28.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does PF need an unarmed combatives forum?

TPI has or had some first rate posters and great discussions. The older threads there are a goldmine. You can go back over ten years and see good content. Sadly, it is not nearly as active as it once was.

There are a number of factors that have contributed to this.

First, you need to register to even read the forum. I can understand the logic of that in keeping trolls and net trash away, but it cuts down on potential membership.

Second, sadly everyone is going to social media. I really hate this. Minor rant time. It is much easier to find categories and topics in a forum, and to look over old threads. Good luck Try to find something that was written a day ago on facebook--forget about a week or a month ago.

Finally, their technical issues resulted in the forum being inaccessible for a while.
    Last edited by Ed L; 09-25-2018 at 04:37 PM.

I’ve just started reading TPI historical posts. Amazing. This might take a while.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

ok I'll change my opinion if anyone on the new forum can tell me how to keep spastic 230lb white belts from spazzing out and jacking up my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    ok I'll change my opinion if anyone on the new forum can tell me how to keep spastic 230lb white belts from spazzing out and jacking up my fingers.
    Don’t let new people (spastic 230 lb white belts, for example) fight with people who aren’t experienced enought to protect themselves - and to protect the new person who lacks knowledge and control.

As the new person gets calibrated you can progressively expose them to people who are less skilled and a better match.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Out of my lane. I think offer a partnership with people such as TPI staff if they’re willing.

To me it’s free marketing for them to a massive (comparatively) forum that elevates their value. I think it’d be a win for PF and a win for those trainers.

If TPI was interested in only being a forum and not in training/educating the masses - then I’d be upset if I was them.

But really if I was them - I’d see it as a potential open door in a big way to grow themselves on another established large forum with like-minded people.

As someone about 1.5 years into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and about 10 years into concealed carrying a firearm- I am totally stoked.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Where would it fall between the Mindset & Tactics subforum?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

It has been a long, long time since I lurked in TPI. However, at least back then that place had a very elitist vibe. As in, if you weren't 100% hardcore in your training, you were pretty much nothing and what little you might have been doing was pretty much considered pointless. People would, occasionally and quietly, admit they wouldn't be able to train that hard either if they didn't enjoy it that much, but those thoughts were largely swept aside.

It of course could be that it's because I am more interested in shooting, but I just do not get that unpleasant vibe from P-F. This place is much more welcoming, even for someone who will never burn tens of thousands of rounds a year in a holy quest to make GM. At the same time, you are welcome to learn from some truly world-class, superbly skilled shooters from both the tactical and competition sides of the house, if you want to.

I think adding unarmed skills discussions in that same inclusive and welcoming tone would have the potential to be helpful for a larger group of people than the core group at TPI. So I'm voting yes, why not have an unarmed skills forum.

Yes, look at my user name and guess why. Also, there are plenty of other practical weapons besides firearms and knives that might deserve a place on that forum. For example, a common walking stick, pipe, rod or dowel is a ferocious weapon in trained hands, far more effective than any pocket knife yet it can be hidden in plain sight provided it serves some other purpose. Just because you can't have a "weapon" in your car or at work doesn't mean you have to be unarmed.

User Tag List